Things to do near UCLA

Old Jul 1st, 2006, 08:27 AM
oncebitten

Things to do near UCLA

My family and I will be at UCLA from July 15 to July 21. I will be taking a class during the day; so my husband and 2 children (4 and 9) need things to do. My husband would rather not rent a car, if at all possible.

We will be staying at the Tiverton House on the UCLA campus. Can anyone tell me if there are fun things for them to do within walking distance or an easy bus ride away. I hate thinking that they will be stuck at the hotel all day waiting for me, so I want to put together some "outings" for them to do. My husband is not very adventurous so I need to have things planned for them.

Old Jul 1st, 2006, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They can walk down to Westwood Village-- movies, shops, restaurants.

Santa Monica's Big Blue Bus #3 (I think) runs between UCLA and downtown Santa Monica on its way to LAX. They can ride it to Santa Monica and check out that town. There's a beach there, and a pier worth a couple of hours.

Bus rides will get them to Beverly Hills, Hollywood, wherever. I'd make a list of places they're interested in, then check out www.mta.net (LA's MTA website, covering pretty much every independent transit authority in LA County). Usually I don't encourage relying on mass transit, but UCLA is very centrally-located and well set up for bus riders (college students don't always have cars, you know).
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 11:08 AM

The Getty is a fun place to visit (even for the 4 year old who will mostly enjoy the tram ride)...and just a 5 min CityBus ride (Metro Rapid 761 I think) from Westwood.

The campus has a nice botanical gardens area that the kids can roam in, there are plenty of picnic possibilities in the area and you can even take a citybus out to Malibu to go to the beach, or a blue bus to Santa Monica & beaches.

There are probably some "kid's camps" being held at that time right on the UCLA campus, pools etc...but I don't know where to find that information.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 11:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree w/ rgw -- normally I'd never recommend trying to "see" LA w/o a car/ But staying at UCLA is the one exception. There will be plenty to see and do using buses. Between Westwood, Santa Monica and the Getty, and they could even go to Universal - they will have plenty to fill their time.

I was also going to recommend a Dodgers game but just checked the schedule and they are away until the Friday night game on the 21st.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 12:57 PM

Hello, I'm a student at UCLA so I've spent a lot of time around there without a car. It's nice to go out to Santa Monica. The Big Blue Bus system goes out there on lots of busses, with #1 and #3 being the most direct routes. There's a pier and a nice beach area easily accessible, as well as the promenade. You can also take the Metro #761 to the Getty which is free and has fantastic views of L.A. and the ocean. I'd recommend the Natural History Museum too, it's a little more complicated to get to via bus because you'll have to transfer, but it's definitely doable and good for kids. There's also a science museum just down the street from the natural history museum which is pretty nice.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 02:44 PM
oncebitten

You guys are great. I checked out the big blue bus website and it looks like it goes to several great areas.

Is the UCLA area safe? My husband insists that he heard it was not safe and not a very good place to spend time. I assumed it would be a good area because most college areas safe and it seemed to be close to popular areas as mentioned.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Old Jul 1st, 2006, 02:59 PM

I think your husband has confused USC with UCLA. UCLA and the surrounding area is close to "safe" as Los Angeles gets.

They could also take one of the Wilshire busses to the La Brea Tar Pits which should be fun for them. Check www.mta.net for a route planner.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 03:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
USC vs UCLA = VERY big difference.

As long as you are sure your course is at UCLA, you husband's fears are unfounded. . . . . .

(now, if it turns out the course is actually at USC we have to start this thread all over again )

Old Jul 1st, 2006, 04:11 PM

I'm glad you took my advice and are staying at the Tiverton. Just to remind you, it is right across the street from UCLA and not on the campus, as you stated.

Westwood is very nice. Your husband is confusing UCLA w/USC (booo!) GO BRUINS! If money is not too tight, you really ought to rent a car. Your kids are young and will tire easily from bus stops, waits and so much walking. L.A. is really not a difficult area to drive. Just map things out ahead of time and you'll be fine.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 06:31 PM

Yay! Go Bruins! As a UCLA alum, just wanted to put in a word for some of the wonderful activities on campus - one of the most beautiful college campuses in the world. There are plenty of wide-open grassy spaces for your kids to run around and play games, or picnic. The sculpture garden is worth a visit - it has a Henry Moore, among other amazing pieces. You could also sign up to take a campus tour (maybe the kids are too young, though).
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 02:04 PM
oncebitten

The class is definetly at UCLA. I told my husband he was wrong about the area(maybe now he will believe me).

I am trying to get him to rent a car. I will keep working on him but I am very greatful for all the great suggestions you guys have given me. I think they will have a great time during the time I'm stuck in class.

Thanks again.

Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 09:14 PM

A car probably wouldn't be much more than the shuttle from airport for 4 people round trip. But check on the parking situation for the Tiverton - otherwise it's all paid parking in the area.

The Petersen Auto Museum is another idea for an afternoon, and there are plenty of movie theatres in the area. The bus system is quite convenient to many of the activities mentioned and I actually prefer it to driving in many parts of L.A.
Just print out some schedules/bus maps to the mentioned destinations and have them on hand. $3 a day for a bus pass (doesn't include blue bus)...or $1.25 per trip correct change required.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:52 PM

The Tiverton has FREE parking. It's also underground and securely gated. Although, that doesn't matter because you're in Westwood and not anywhere near USC (blech!) LOL! GO BRUINS!

Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 04:07 AM
emd

I recently had an extended stay for business at the W Hotel near the UCLA campus. It felt very safe, and I went out walking each evening, then walked to dinner. Very nice area.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 07:48 AM

I take the bus daily from West Hollywood to UCLA. Your family might enjoy a trip to Universal Studios. From Westwood take the 2(302 with limited stops will work too) at the corner of Westwood/leConte (right next to burger king) to Fairfax/Sunset, about 30 minutes, then catch the 217 bus to Hollywood (Northeast bound), about 10 minutes. Exit Hollywood/highland (Grauman's chinese, El Capitan, Walk of Fame all here!) Catch the subway at Hollywood/Highland going North to Universal City (just one stop) and a free shuttle takes you to Universal. A day pass will cost $3.00 and you can use it all day on all MTA transport, including bus/rail.