Lax to santa monica or hollywood

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2005, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my finacee and i have a 9 hour stop over in LA before we fly to Australia and we would like to get out of LAX and go to either Santa Monica or Hollywood. Can someone please give us advice on the best way to get to these destinations from LAX.
Thank you
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 05:44 AM

We are doing nearly the same thing. There is a bus (Big Blue Bus?) that goes from right outside LAX to Santa Monica which may be what we do with our 7 hours. Also, Marina del Rey isn't too far either I'm told.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 06:52 AM

inthechips2 has the right idea -- go to Santa Monica, it is much easier to negotiate than "Hollywood" and you will have a blast. There are two terrific Italian restaurants right across from the Santa Monica pier -- can't think of their names just now, but been to both in the last 28 months and they are super. Treat yourselves to a nice lunch and give yourself some time to walk it all off.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 08:10 AM

On the same subject, Lady O ... any recommendations for good Mexican food down by the pier?

And which stop would we take off the #3 bus, does anyone know? (One recommendation was getting off at Colorado and Ocean and walking west, does that sound about right?)

Believe it or not, I grew up in LA and used to go to Santa Monica beach all the time. Left LA 26 years ago. If I had to find my way there now, I'm sure I'd be completely lost!
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 08:37 AM

Admittedly I live in the LA area and have a car so I don't used the bus system ---but just for fun, searched the net and found this route information on www.bigbluebus.com:

http://www.bigbluebus.com/busroutes/....asp?routeid=3

I would suggest getting off at the 3RD Street Promenade (this is a bustling place on a Fri or Sat night). It's a fun (pedestrian only) area with lots of restaurants and shops. You can walk to Ocean Ave and/or the Santa Monica Pier from there. A nice park runs along Ocean Ave and is on a bluff that looks down on the beach/ocean. This park has been featured in countless movies.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 09:56 AM

Big Blue Bus #3 will drop you off on 4th St. in SM. You can get off anywhere between Colorado (at the end of which is the SM Pier) and Wilshire (the 3rd St. Promenade starts at Wilshire). You will need to grab a bus from the LAX terminal area to the Transit Center just outside the terminal. The whole trip should take about one hour one way.

There's no "good" Mexican right at the Pier. There are fast-food joints (La Salsa, at 3rd St. and Santa Monica Blvd.) and one cool sit-down joint on 4th just north of Broadway-- Border Grill. The food is Mexican-inspired and tasty, the margaritas are yummy, the room is colorful and loud. There's also a high-end seafood joint right at the foot of the Pier-- the Lobster. The views are great, and it's wonderful for drinks, but you can get FAR better seafood two blocks up Ocean at Ocean Ave. Seafood. My two cents.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 10:47 AM

The bus is a slow ride, just to warn you. Lots of stops. If you can afford it, maybe take a cab one way, just to give you more time.

You want to explore the Third Street Promenade. Lots of shops and things to look at. At the end, down by the Macys (which would be the south side of the area and the first area you would get to by bus. In fact I think the bus drops you right off at the Macys east entrance) if you walk toward Third Street you'll see Broadway Deli. LOVE IT. You can sit at the bar or at a table. The counter is fun bc there is lots to see. Good, good food. Last time we were there we sat next to Tim Matheson. Don't know if celebrity sightings are common in there, but we thought it was pretty fun.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 11:02 AM

Hi heavens. I sort of wonder about the length of the bus ride - while a "deal" it may cause me too much stress, especially on the ride back to the airport.

I'll do a search about cab rates back to the airport.

Read about a service called "shoppershuttle" that will take you back and forth for $34 total (for 2 people). Seems like a good deal to me and I've emailed them.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 11:25 AM

It will take you 35 min. on weekends, maybe a bit more weekdays at rush hour, and it's 75 cents each way. They are very dependable and run about every 15 minutes. If you have the $$ for the shuttle, then it's up to you.

I agree with all the other posters - Santa Monica is a great way to go for the short time you have. Here's a link:
http://www.santamonica.com/

My visitors always love going to Venice Beach boardwalk on the ocean, also. It is about 5 minutes south of Santa Monica and is like spending a day at the circus - you'll see everything there. The street performers and artists are terrific, and there are tons of little places to eat. I like to get my lunch to take out and eat it on the beach.
Here's a link for you:
http://www.laparks.org/venice/enter.htm
And here's a live Venice Beach webcam:
http://www.westland.net/beachcam/

You can get a temporary (6 week) henna tattoo to show your friends; or get your hair braided; pick up a unique piece of art made by the local street artists.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 10:19 PM

I would definitely take the shuttle to Santa Monica. Forget Hollywood... you may truly be disappointed.

BTW, the 2 Italian restaurants across from the pier are I Cugini and Il Fornia--both really good. BOA is a great steak house. Border Grill is great too, someone mentioned that I think...
You can rent bikes down on the beach and ride them if you tire of shopping and eating. Also take a walk on the pier and take a ride on the ferris wheel. It affords GREAT views of the city, beaches and ocean.
Not much to do in Marina del Rey.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:50 AM

The only Mexican I've eaten in Santa Monica (and that was nearly 2 years ago) was at La Seranata on 1st Street. http://www.laserenataonline.com/
We met friends there for dinner and had a great time. I know the food was good, but we were having such fun due to the company we were were with I frankly don't remember the food!

And yes! I Cugini and Il Fornia were the two WONDERFUL Italian restaurants I highly recommend. Great atmosphere and excellent food.

Old Oct 30th, 2005, 07:09 AM

Lula on Santa Monica's Main Street is a quirky old "beachy" type place w/very good Mexican food and a great California feel to it--in the opinion of this New Englander.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 07:42 AM

I. Cugini and Il Fornaio della Spiaggia-- very good Italian choices. I. Cugini is run by the same people who run Ocean Ave. Seafood (and Water Grill downtown and several other eateries in Long Beach, Orange County and San Diego), and they do northern Italian with a spin. Il Fornaio is a spin-off from a nice Beverly Hills joint.

There is no First Street in downtown Santa Monica at all. La Serenata de Garibaldi is a very good Mexican place on 4th St. between Santa Monica and Broadway-- across the street and a bit north of Border Grill. The original LSdG is on First Street in the Boyle Heights neighborhood of Los Angeles.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 09:16 PM

Greetings, all! This site was recommended to us by passengers and thought we'd introduce ourselves in case you had any questions.

If you'll be stuck at LAX for a layover, definitely give us a ring or make a reservation in advance -- and we'll take care of you. The roundtrip fee from LAX to popular destinations (especially for layover travelers) like Santa Monica Promenade, Santa Monica Main Street, Venice Beach, Howard Hughes Center and Manhattan Village is only $9 per person, per drop-off (or each way).

We also offer a service where we can hold your luggages/carry-on while you "galavant" and shop to your heart's content. It's only $5 per bin size. It's a great way to enjoy your layover without much hassle.

We have many women who use our service for a quick "mani/pedi" in between flights. Hey, as women travelers and shopping fans ourselves, we understand how to turn a dreadful layover into a pleasant experience.

Anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Old Nov 4th, 2005, 08:12 AM

I. Cugini...yes, yes, yes. Also like The Lobster very close to the pier. Sat by actress Christine Lahti (sp?) last time I ate there.
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:10 AM

Contrary note here, please don't think I'm crazy, I've done it recently on the way to Sydney: You can get a small rental car from Dollar for about twenty bucks, and do your own thing. I'm guessing that you get into LAX around 2 or 3PM - hop onto the Dollar shuttle outside baggage claim, get your car and you can be at Redondo Beach before rush hour; feast on seafood on the pier.

Or in Santa Monica, you can park for free at the southern end of 3rd Street Promenade and Broadway in the above-ground parking structure of the Santa Monica Place shopping center, and walk down to the pier and along the pedestrian-only 3rd St. Promenade shopping mall.

Or drive from Santa Monica along Highway 1 through Malibu with ocean views and a dinner with a view somewhere. Turn the car in by 9:30 PM and check in at ten or so for Oz.

Hint: Make sure you know if you're checking in at the dreadful Int'l Bradley Terminal or at a nearby terminal - there's often confusion and very bad signing at the Bradley (that thing needs to come down...).

Happy trails

WK
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 12:09 PM

hi, guys! it seems that my post may have been interpreted as an ad, so my apologies to the powers that be and to all of you if what i posted was a violation. i just wanted to provide you with detailed info on how it works since we're a new company.

anyway, to balance my suggestion, renting a car would not be a bad idea as well. (however, our australian and british passengers dislike the idea since they're not used to driving on the right side of the road -- which is totally understandable.) WallyKringen has great suggestions.

cheers!