things to do in the Seattle area with car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning to drive to Seattle to visit around the area for a couple of days. Any recommendations of what we MUST do? We plan to stay in the Bellevue area since we have a car, but we'll be limited with a baby. Is it worth visiting one of the San Juan islands during the day? A drive up the Vancouver for a day or Victoria for a day? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 02:00 PM

There are a ton of things to do in Seattle like Pike Place Market, the waterfront, Pacific Place, Rainer Square. You could also go to the Science Center and Space Needle, or to Woodland Park Zoo.
Tacoma has the Glass Museum and Washington State History Museum, as well as Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium and park.
You could go to Victoria for the day. There is lots to do there as well. Victoria has the Wax Museum, Crystal Gardens Conservatory, a mininature museum as well as other thing to do.
I found the Fodor's guide for the Nortwest very helpful, as well as asking others (which is what you're doing now).
I hope this info helps. Have a great trip.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 02:27 PM

I've heard the City Pass for Seattle is a good deal if you are going to do a lot of the included stuff. Never used it myself though.

Andrew
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 03:03 PM

Take the Boeing tour! Go EARLY to get tickets or you'll be shut out. Its an AMAZING thing to see jets being built!
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 05:35 PM

If you go to the glass Museum, in Tacoma, the only really worhtwhile exhibit is the Chihuly collection which is actually outside the Museum. They are housed on the bridge across the freeway. There is no charge for this section. then try to get across to the courthouse and see the Chihulys there. Otherwise I found the museum itself very disappointing.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 05:27 AM
xaimimgr

Since you will have a car, why not go to Mt Rainier. That's always my favorite place to take a drive. Or even down to Mt St Helens'

Old Apr 12th, 2003, 09:30 AM

A ferry ride over to ANY of the islands is great--

Vancouver is definitely worth the drive- about 2 hrs away-stay overnite-

Victoria is also fabulous to drive and ferry over--

You may not have enough time to do Vancouver or Victoria though if you are only going to be in Seattle for a few days...

A good day trip is also to the St.Michelle winery south of Seattle....can picnic out on the lawns
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. We may actually stay longer now. We're definitely going to check out the Boeing tour. And, now thinking of staying in Vancouver overnight. Any hotel suggestions? How long is the boat ride with car to Victoria? Any recommendations on one of the San Juan islands?
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 07:28 PM

The Victoria car ferry leaves from Anacortes, which could take as long as 90 minutes' drive from Bellevue. It's a beautiful ferry trip of about 4 hours but requires planning ahead and maybe a reservation. In my opinion this is well worth the hassle, if you have decent weather (because you can walk around the ferry, inside or on deck). Now, the walk-on boat departs from Seattle and takes around 2 hours something. It saves lots of time, but I felt clostrophobic as there's no "deck" to walk out on...this is an express catamaran... For a drive to Vancouver, you should leave in the early a.m. to avoid a frustrating wait at the border. Our last trip, the wait at midday was 90 minutes. And Vancouver is wonderful. Hope that helps! p.s.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments marcieb. That helps a great deal. Now, I just have to start getting organized for the trip.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 01:55 PM

Check out the Best Places books on both Seattle and Vancouver. I think there is a Pacific Northwest version as well.
We have used this series over the years for many trip to this region and have found great tips. We enjoyed Abigail's in Victoria. Depending on the age of your baby I would also recommend you check out the Royal Museum in Victoria. The floor devoted to "First Peoples" is a must. The museum is right down at the water. Of the San Juans for a day..San Juan Island is probably the one to see. My favorite is Lopez however it is very pastoral with not much happening. We have stayed at the Inn at Swifts Bay. If you ride bikes and can pack baby along it is lovely. I also really like Port Townsend.(The Fountain Steps Cafe is a great place to eat and it should be fine with a baby. They are usually only open for dinner) It will be a 1 1/2 hour drive from Seattle but has a sweet downtown to poke around in. You might also check out taking the ferry from Mukiliteo over to Whidbey Island. The town of Langley is a small, quaint and easy to navigate place. We just got a copy of Best Places Vancouver which seems to have some great suggestions.