Things to do in Savannah

Feb 13th, 2019, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Things to do in Savannah

My husband and I will be in Savannah for two days in March. We like history and good (doesn't need to be fancy) food. Any must do's or other recommendations for things to see and do there. We also like perusing little shops and the like. We will have a car and staying at The Green Palm Inn.
Feb 13th, 2019, 09:35 AM

We took and architectural tour which consisted of us and the very knowledgeable guide. I do not remember his name, but I believe that I mention it in my trip report that on Charleston and Savannah; click on my name to find it.
Feb 14th, 2019, 04:36 AM

We enjoyed walking along the river and visiting the shops and restaurants.
https://www.trolleytours.com/savannah/river-street
Feb 14th, 2019, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

schmerl....that looks perfect!
Feb 14th, 2019, 02:21 PM

See my first post on the thread below. It details the attractions and food I experienced during a two day visit to Savannah a few years ago. Note that I’m a very efficient sightseer and like fully packed days:

Jacksonville to Charleston and Savannah

I did not see the historic forts nearby or any of the attractions connected with the book “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.” If you include these, I’d plan on adding another day for sure.
Feb 14th, 2019, 02:47 PM

I'm bookmarking because I'm interested as well.
Feb 14th, 2019, 06:00 PM

If you click on my user name, you will find my trip report for Charleston and Savannah.
Feb 15th, 2019, 12:15 AM

Best of luck for your journey.
Feb 15th, 2019, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

bachslunch...we aren't ones to pack in full days. And because it's part of a larger trip, the two days works best (we are going to Kennedy in FL and Charleston). I'll check out the food experiences you had. We have a good idea of where we want to eat in Charleston, but less familiar with Savannah.
Feb 16th, 2019, 02:23 AM

There are so many exciting things to do in Savannah, and it can be difficult to scale down the list of activities to comply with your schedule.
1- A visit to Savannah would not be complete without exploring the Birthplace of Juliette Gordon Low, creator of Girl Scouts of the USA. At this unique house museum, visitors can learn about Low’s life and the movement she founded.
2- Savannah has become a hot spot for those who love to shop! From fashionable clothing to Savannah-made goods, you'll find the perfect Savannah keepsake to bring back home. One of our favorites is Satchel, a SCAD graduate-owned leather goods boutique.
Forsyth Park is perfect for lounging in the grass or throwing a Frisbee. Dating back to 1840s, Forsyth Park occupies 30 acres in the Historic District. The iconic water fountain at the center is a landmark in itself, but Fragrant Garden, walking trails and a quaint cafe make for a relaxing spot on your itinerary.
3- Savannah’s Telfair Museum is the oldest public art museum in the Southeast. The museum consists of two National Historic Landmark buildings circa 1820, the Telfair Academy and the Owens-Thomas House. It also includes the contemporary Jepson Center, which houses unique exhibitions, tours, and collections throughout the year.
4- Hop on board a trolley tour to get an overview of Savannah! Both Old Town Trolley Tours and Old Savannah Tours have daily trolley tours that will help you get better acquainted with Savannah's historical sites and history. Traveling with a large group? Gray Line Savannah can help meet your transportation needs whether it be an air-conditioned trolley, minibus, motor coach or even an 18-passenger convertible Mercedes Sprinter.