Paging Starrsville or others about Savannah

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you from the Savannah area? I just read a response you gave that seemed to be pretty informative so thought maybe you could help with my question.
My daughter is wanting to go someplace with a girlfriend for an R&R to help her friend get over a rough time in her life.
Her hubby will watch the kids.
Anyways, they want to be able to fly into a city and take a cab or bus to a hotel that might be centrally located so that it is within walking distance to various sights and restaurants. They don't want to have to rent a car...I had mentioned Charleston and Savannah to her but have never been to either. So, was looking for a little advice.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 03:34 AM

I love Savannah, but for this purpose it seems to me that there is neither enough to do to take ones mind off the "rough time" or enough just relaxation - beach, spas, superior restaurants, etc - to offer an escape.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

It would just be for a long weekend so all they want to do is just shop, do some sight seeing and relax. They do not need superior restaurants or beaches.
But thanks anyways for the input.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 05:08 AM
GoTravel

Cathie, while I absolutely love Savannah, they will find much better shopping, dining, and attractions in Charleston.

I highly suggest the Doubletree. They can walk to thousands (literally) of places and do not need a car.

Old Nov 12th, 2004, 07:17 AM

Funny you should ask. I was in a hotel elevator this week with someone from Charleston and we discussed this very topic - why some people think one is so much better than the other. (Savannah/ Charleston). I like them both. I like Savannah more. I'm not sure why but I think one thing is obvious...one city is not "obviously" better than the other.

I would agree that if they want to shop, there are more stores they may enjoy downtown in Charleston rather than Savannah. But, I love shopping for unique items at the SCAD store - made by the students at the Savannah College of Arts and Design. I was sent down with a shopping request to buy specific Tshirts from Lady and Sons that can't be bought online.

I just returned from Savannah and do love it. I stayed at the Hampton Inn in the historic district for the first time and enjoyed it. I have favorite inns and a very favorite self-catering apartment that will remain a secret!

As for whether there is enough to do for girlfriends to get away...definitely. I think they will always remember wandering through the beautiful squares talking and catching up. The trolley tours are great. The horse-drawn carraige tours are picturesque. The walking tours are fun. Just wandering on your own is great. Personally, I think Savannah outshines Charleston in that category.

Either would be good. When I had a similar situation, I did the same in Chattanooga...and that was YEARS before the renaissance in Chattanooga. It's less the location than the time together.

PS - Someone I saw in Savannah reminded me of an early morning trip out to Tybee to walk the beach and have a breakfast at the legendary diner before the work day started. It would be a cab ride for your daughter, but is an option too.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both so much for your help.
I will pass along all the information to my daughter. They both sound like beautiful cities to visit. One day I might talk my husband into taking me to see the sites in both cities.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 05:09 AM

Go to Charleston. Better dining, shopping, relaxing.