Things to do in San Antonio & Austin

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things to do in San Antonio & Austin

We will be in San Antonio for 2 days and in Austin for a day in mid-Feb for our wedding anniversary.

Please let us know fun things to do in both the cities. We love seeing places and people.

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 08:56 AM

You should do 2 separate searches... one for Austin and one for San Antonio. There have been loads of great ideas recently.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 08:58 AM

HI!

There are lots of fun things to do in both of these cities, which happen to be my favorite cities!! Go to www.texas.com at the bottom of the page, you can go to the Visitor's Guide for each city! Wishing you a wonderful time!
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 09:26 AM

Go to Happy Hour at the Sunset Capital of Texas, "The Oasis" located on beautiful Lake Travis, Austin.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 10:00 AM

Spend an evening enjoyin the nightlife on 6th Street.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 10:32 AM

What are your interests? History? Music (what kind...) Food? (what kind) Shopping?

2 Days in SA of course the Riverwalk, perhaps the Alamo.

Austin has many possibilities. Where are you staying?
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 10:35 AM

Also, forgot to mention the visitors bureau website:
http://www.austintexas.org/index.php

When in Feb? Have the dates? If it's valentines weekend, just an FYI that's the time (15th) of the Motorola Marathon. Might check out hotel availability...
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your posts.

Austin: We are going to be there weekend following Valentines...

We enjoy sight seeing... doing what the locals do etc...

What about Hill Country? Is it worth the trip?

We will be staying in downtown San Antonio.

Thanks..
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 02:04 PM

We hit the hill country one year right when the bluebonnets were in bloom and I have never seen a prettier sight. I don't know if it will be in bloom by mid-Feb. Why don't you check out the Lady Bird Johnson garden website to see what will be blooming? Also, this was a listing of Hill Country ideas http://www.austinchronicle.com/issue...food_set6.html

In San Antonio, the walking ghost tour was really a lot of fun and out of the ordinary.

I don't know if you are from Texas or not, but Shiner Beer is a Texas tradition. At the Austin and San Antonio hotels, there are pamplets on the factory tour if you are interested
http://www.shiner.com/map.html
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 08:46 PM

Go to Gruene, Tx located between Austin and San Antonio, an old german settlement that is now has shops with antiques, furniture, wine, & misc. It is a great way to kill an afternoon. There is an old grist mill turned into a resturant behind the watertower. (You can't miss the watertower!) It backs up to the river (guatalupe ?). During the summer we would see people floating the river going by. At night it is very pretty. The atmosphere is casual, but good food. Definately have a shiner! Old Gruene hall is one of the oldest in Texas. Check out their website below. They have all kinds of live music. I really enjoyed it & so did my parents.

If you really like music you should get on the web & see if there are some specific artist that you would like to see in the area. Austin is well known for their music scene.

I haven't been to San Antonio in a few years, but I have always thought the riverwalk was romantic at night (if your are staying in one of the hotels on the river.

Good luck!
http://www.gruenehall.com/
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 03:25 AM
Jayne1973

http://www.buckhornmuseum.com/

Dont' know if this is your thing or not, but it's kind of fun and has an interesting history.

Old Feb 4th, 2004, 04:43 AM

If you like to antique you will be in antiquer's heaven in that area.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 06:35 AM

We did San Antonio and Austin a couple of years ago for 6 days in September (very hot and humid, wouldn't recommend that time of year). We loved San Antonio for its RIVERWALK, but we only stayed 2 nights downtown, and stayed 2 nights in Hill Country at the Hyatt Resort. It was GREAT! They have a fabulous river pool that is endless and you can just float away for hours. My husband is a theme park guy, so we did Sea World which is one of the best Sea World parks in the US and we also did 6 Flags Fiesta Park. I'm not sure if these parks are open in February. We enjoyed the ALAMO in San Antonio too. In Austin, we visited the Capitol Bldg and the Lyndon B. Johnson library. Both were very interesting. Have a nice time...