Things to do in Miami

Old Sep 6th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things to do in Miami

Hello!

We just moved to the Miami area -- and we want to comprise a "to do" list. What are the "must-see" and "must-do" things in South Florida? We really want to get out and explore the area -- as well as the typical touristy things.

Thanks!
Cindy
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 01:14 PM

Viscaya - the amazing old home/mansion, the Bass Museum, and the Wolfsonian Museum in Miami Beach.

I'm the cultural dude. I'd also take a LONG walk down South Beach on a sunny morning to see the sights.

Steve
Maryland
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 02:24 AM

take a trip out to the miami metro zoo, its amazing!! we were there oct last year!!
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 05:59 AM

Mathison Hammock. The Coral Castle. Drive to Opalika (I've probably butchered the spelling...) to see a different South Florida. Go to the Everglades.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 06:03 AM

Little Havana. The Keys. Coconut Grove and Coral Gables for shopping. Miami Seaquarium.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 07:38 AM

My favorite thing to do to escape South Beach, where I lived 12 years ago, was to go to the Venetian Pool in Coral Gables. Hope it's still around.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 08:52 AM

Bienvevidos (welcome) to MIAMI...
1- yes Venetian pool still open and beautiful.
2- a saturday morning drive to Key West , specially this time of year is beautiful..stay overnight and enjoy Key West. Also a afternoon drive to one of restaurants in Key Largo or Isla Morada is a must.
3- Lunch on Lincoln Road, South Beach is very nice..
4- DO NOT PAY SOUTH BEACH PRICES FOR CUBAN FOOD it is a rip off to eat there... go to Versalleis on SW 8 street on any LA CARRETA restaurant for same food, 1/4 of prices ...
4- DO YOU ENJOY WATCHING PEOPLE, VERSAILLES ON SW 8 STREET AND 32 AVENUE IS A MUST..WHAT A PARADE, VERY COLORFUL
BE ADVISED THAT FROM OCTOBER TO MARCH..WE ARE IN PARADISE WHEN IT COMES TO WEATHER...SUMMERS ARE TOO HOT AND HUMID.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 10:40 AM

Tandoori, where in Opa Locka, in your opinion, is a good place to go? Opa Locka is NOT a place to go & sightsee. It's a place even the police don't even like to go.
In any event, I agree with Miguel. The plaes he mentioned are really great. Little Havana (on SW 8 St) is nice to stroll...watch them make cigars, etc.
Key Biscayne is also nice to visit. Go up to Hollywood & walk along the broadwalk...terrific!
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 11:23 AM

Marcia, I was fascinated by the fantasy architecture there. What is it, Moorish? I guess I envisioned a drive through to see another side of Miami. Perhaps Cindyrob is interested in architecture. She says she wants to explore AND do the typical touristy things like Little Havana. Are they cigar-making now in Little Havana? That was never an industry there (as it was in Key West and Tampa) but she does want to see the touristy things.

So that's why I was suggesting a cruise through Opa locka.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 03:30 PM

Just remembered...I also loved going to Kampong or Fairchild Garden...can't remember what it's called exactly. But, they have an amazing collection of tropical fruit trees, including a "miracle fruit" that you eat, then eat a lemon and it tastes sweet, not sour. It's just outside of Coconut Grove.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 06:33 PM

The name is Fairchild Tropical Garden, on Old Cuttler Road.
Do you like riding a bike, specially on weekends, Coral Gables is a beautiful place to ride, all those beautiful houses, have lunch in downtown Coral Gables and continue riding. Also riding along Rickenbaker Causeway is great, that is Key Biscayne...
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 02:54 AM
tmt

go to www.entertainment.com

you can buy a book and get some 2 for 1 coupons...so get to try things out for 1/2 price.

I used it for Orlando restaurants and it was fabulous.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 10:48 AM
GoTravel

Am I the only one that likes David's better than Versailles for Cuban food?

The Holocoust Museum.

Eat at Wolfie Cohen's Rascal House.

Have dinner at The Forge.

Old Oct 11th, 2004, 10:03 AM

more things:
Pinecrest Gardens on 57th Avenue is a beautiful tropical garden,
go to the everglades,

have a picnic at Crandon Park and walk around the old zoo,

drive slowly down to the Keys and have a drink overlooking the turquoise waters,

go to Gallery Night on the first friday of the month in Coral Gables, or the last Friday of the month in Little Havana. The Design District has one too, but I'm not sure of the day.

Eat lunch at Scotty's landing. Food is no big deal, but you are on the water overlooking the sailboats. It's great in the "winter"

go to the coconut grove arts festival in February. Check out the miami herald and take advantage of all the festivals in the fall/winter - arts, boat, art deco, food to name a few.

It's a great place to live. I hope you enjoy it.
ali
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 10:52 AM

Message: Am I the only one that likes David's better than Versailles for Cuban food?

GoTravel, where is David's...I have never heard of this place. Food in Versailles is nothing good, it is all about watching people and their show...
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 10:19 AM

Day trips: Go down to Key Largo and take a snorkeling trip out to the reef and kayak at Pennecamp Park. Take a drive out via Tamiami Trail to Shark Valley and rent bikes, but do not trip over the alligators. Go further and find Clyde Butcher's photography studio.

Are there still orchid nurseries/growers near Homestead that can be visited?

In town: South Beach, Ocean Drive and Lincoln Road at night for all the outdoor cafes and peole watching. Maybe dessert at the Icebox Cafe. Or be there for the Lincoln Road Farmer's Market on Saturday a.m. (check day of week) and please find the Bread Man!

Have fun discovering your own backyard!
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 03:10 AM

All good suggestions: I'd add on your Everglades trip, go on an airboat ride at any of the operators on the Tamiami Trail (can't miss them). Stop at The Pit and get BBQ on the way back. Eat stone crabs, which are seasonal, but stay out of Joe's on the beach - an institution many people love but to us overpriced and overrated. Stone crabs are already cooked (served cold) when you buy them, so buy them at Golden Rule Seafood market along with a tub of mustard sauce. Golden Rule is way south on Dixie Highway, a hole in the wall that supplies many restaurants and gourmet markets. Go to the source and pay less.