Things to do in Lexington, KY

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2006, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are heading down to Lexington, KY in the next couple of weeks for a wedding. The wedding is not until late on a Saturday night. What is there to do in Lexington during the day? Are there any must-see's?
Is there a town to walk around in?
Old May 1st, 2006, 06:59 AM

Do you like horses? If so, the Kentucky Horse Park is a great place to spend a day. There are many exhibits (both in the museum and alive on the grounds) to see, and there's also a trail ride that takes you through the cross country course. The restaurant on premises is so-so, but you can bring a picnic lunch.

Check the calendars for live hrose racing in the area. The Red Mile harness racing track may be running already. Churchill Downs (1 hour away in Louisville) is still running, but Keeneland (in Lexington) has already finished their season. Its grounds are well-known for their beauty, and it is a nice place for a walk. Their track kitchen is good for big breakfasts!
Old May 1st, 2006, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply ChristieP!! I am not too much of a horse lover but my fiance is so maybe we will check out the Kentucky Horse Park.
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We found Lexington to be very quiet. The Horse Park is interesting. There is also a college there. The town was very small. We went to a mall that had very few shops in it or open. We stayed at the Marriott Griffin Gate and it was a very nice resort. There was a restaurant that we could walk to that was very elegant. I can't remember the name, but the food was good.
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:16 AM

If you enjoy history or beautiful antique galleries (including old English silver), or if you simply want an amazing "old South" lunch or dinner, visit Wakefield-Scearce in Shelbyville, about 30 miles west of Lexington off I-64.

www.wakefieldscearce.com

The historic restaurant, Science Hill, is attached to the Galleries. Also in the complex you'll find several nice shops.

Enjoy Kentucky!
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!! Any good shopping areas?????
Old May 1st, 2006, 01:27 PM

Do you have a mall where you live? If you do, then No, unfortunately.
Old May 1st, 2006, 01:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
www.visitlex.com

I would stay in Lexington and tour things in the area. Shelbyville is actually about 45-50 miles and Louisville about 75.

There are several vineyards and bourbon distilleries within a 15 mile drive if you aren't interested in any of the horse farm tours or Horse Park.

The main mall is Fayette Mall on Nicholasville Road. The other big shopping area is Hamburg on Man-O-War.There are two other malls that having been going downhill and don't have many stores - Turfland and Lexington. Downtown and Chevy Chase have more boutique type stores and most of the restaurants in those areas are non-chains.

There are several museums and historic houses downtown. Ashland,the home of Henry Clay (www.henryclay.org,)the Hunt Morgan house, Mary Todd Lincoln house.

If you arrive on Friday, get a copy of the Lexington Herald Leader and the weekender section will list activities. I'm not sure they put everything on their website. www.kentuckyconnect.com

Old May 1st, 2006, 01:44 PM

I forgot the mall link - www.shopfayette-mall.com - it has 120 stores.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 07:19 PM

I'm too late, but for anyone going looking for shopping, I love Artique which is at Lexington Green (not much else there though!) as well as downtown.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 08:29 PM

JosephBeth is a fantastic bookstore in Lexington Green. www.josephbeth.com
The comedy club is on the lower level of Lexington Green (waterside). www.comedyoffbroadway.com
There is also Regatta Seafood on the lower level with outdoor seating and bar area on the water with weekend entertainment.