Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Things for a toddler to do on Alaska port days (Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2023, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I will be cruising to Alaska (Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan) in August 2023 and am looking for things that a one year old toddler can do on port day. I will be bringing a stroller but we can't wander too far from the ship (ie - within 30 min walk to the ship). Excursions and hikes are out of the question. Note that we are from Vancouver, Canada. We are currently planning to check out:
- Ketchikan Great Alaskan Lumberjack show
- Museums

In addition, are there any interesting restaurants that we should try that are not found in Vancouver? The ones I've noticed are:
- Pel'meni (Russian dumplings in Juneau)
- Klondike Doughboy (Doughboy in Skagway)
Old Jul 9th, 2023, 01:39 AM

Tough question due to limited time. Years ago we traveled via ferry as far as Skagway where we departed with our car to drive to Anchorage area. I wanted to take the train ride so we had to stay in Skagway until I could get tickets. A cruise ship also docked. Skagway reminded me of a smaller northern version of St. thomas with very crowded streets during the day when cruise ship passengers were there. No problem in theevening when they all returned to their ship. Research shops anead of time if you want a special souvenir. It was a shop which had handmade in Alaska things where I got my treasured ulu knife and cutting board. Use almost daily. One place offered window service selling snacks. Thinking cookie break and someplace quiet for youand toddler. If you read up on history you will appreciate what you are seeing. I think our lodgimg place had been a former brothel. Just walkimg around will ne fun and inyeresting. This port guide might be helpful. I saw a good listing of food places. https://skagwayshoretours.com/travel...way-port-guide
Old Jul 9th, 2023, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the response