Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Is an Alaskan cruise that goes from Vancouver to Juneau, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Ketchikan and the Inside Passage good?

Search

Is an Alaskan cruise that goes from Vancouver to Juneau, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Ketchikan and the Inside Passage good?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 02:55 PM
Sam

I've cruised often, but never to Alaska. Would this cruise be a good first Alaskan cruise for me? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 03:42 PM
John

Sam, that's where most of them go. Some carry on across the Gulf of Alaska to Seward (for access to Anchorage and the interior) but the inside passage and the southeast Alaska panhandle is the prime cruise route.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 06:03 PM
Linda

We did it 4 years ago on the Galaxy, and it was fabulous. You will love it.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 09:39 AM
Elaine

We also did the Alaska cruise on Galaxy and it is one of the best vacations ever. It was very cold but clear and we went prepared. The Galaxy is a lovely ship and Celebrity is top notch for service and food.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Gail

We did the inside passage on the Rhapsody. You'll love the day in Glacier Bay. Sign up early for shore excursions. They sell out fast.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 08:47 AM
peg

I sailed Vancouver to Seward (then a few days post cruise inland) a few years ago, stopping at all your ports. A superior experience, would do it again in a heartbeat. If you have the opportunity, definitely go. <BR> <BR>Recommend you do sail south to north as you plan, since if you start in the north, you get your best scenery at the start of the trip. We thought the Vancouver area was beautiful, but the scenery got impossibly more gorgeous every day as we sailed north. Do NOT miss helicopter to glaciers. They land and you get out and wander around for a while. A definite do-not-miss. And, we went over July 4, which presented some serendipity in the form of: ship staying in port til midnight 7/3 so we could watch fireworks over the harbour from the ship deck, which was very cool; and, being in Skagway on the 4th, inadvertedly ending up IN their parade which is quite festive and entertaining. A great trip... *sigh*

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 08:48 AM
peg

oops -- forgot port info: we saw the fireworks in Juneau.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Dawn

I've cruised the Inside Passage, which is what you are referring to, twice. And am now booked for my third cruise. You will love it, as everyone else has stated. I've only cruised to Alaska on the Holland America line, and can hartily reccomend it. I've never had any problems getting the tours I wanted after boarding ship, but HA does send you a preview tour sheet where you can request your tours before you sail. Go and have a great time.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 11:23 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Hi Sam, <BR> <BR>I would advise you not to do a round trip. You will miss quite a bit of Alaska. You probably wish to save money but unless you plan to go again don't do it! <BR> <BR>If you get a chance to stay a couple of days in Seward you will find the "real" Alaska. <BR> <BR>Take a catamaran cruise through the Kenai Fiords and see calving of glaciers up close and also see more wildlife you will ever wish to see and more. Walk on a glacier without taking a helicoptor, pet a sled dog, see the wonderful Alaska Sealife Center and the Heritage museum. I could go on and on. <BR> <BR>Happy planning, <BR> <BR>Paul