Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Should we bring snorkeling equipment on a cruise to the Caribbean?

Feb 27th, 2001, 08:26 AM
Debbie

We will be sailing NCL's Majesty on April 15th to St. Lucia, St. John's, St. Maarten, St. Croix, St. Thomas and back to San Juan. We (2 adults, 2 children) would like to do a lot of snorkeling but don't know whether we should buy equipment at home and bring it with us or is it better to just rent it as we go (looking at hassle factor and cost). Does anyone have any experience with this? Also, any great places to snorkel (we've never been to the caribbean).
Thanks!

Feb 27th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Tanya

If you purchase a snorkelling cruise package at any of the ports, equipment will be provided. However, if you want to hit the beach in each port, I would suggest you take along your own equipment. This way if you don't want to purchase a package, you still have the option of snorkelling. Personally, we like to take our own - just a sanitary thing I guess. You should find some good snorkelling at any location. Ask personnel on board for suggestions on where the best spots are. Enjoy your trip!

Feb 27th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Melanie

I agree that if you think you'll do it more than once get your own equipment, at the very least your own mask. You can get one that fits better, it is more sanitary, and if you need to wear glasses to see well, seriously consider getting one with corrective goggles.

I've only been on NCL and RCCL cruises, but I think the Dive-in program on NCL is absolutely great. They are fantastic with first-timers. The cost of the excursion will include equipment if you don't have your own.

All of those islands should have good snorkelling, especially for beginners.

Feb 27th, 2001, 04:08 PM
joan

Debbie, I agree with Melanie, at least bring your own masks. If you plan to take formal excursions, they will have fins for everybody. If you plant to jump in a taxi and find a beach (do-able on St. John and St. Thomas for sure), then you'll need the fins too.

P.S. If you wear soft contacts, just wear them right under your mask -- been doing this for years, haven't lost a lens yet! (pack extras of course!)
Joan

Feb 28th, 2001, 03:18 AM
BoB

We always take our own masks and snorkels and us the provided flippers. As Tanya said it's a sanitary thing. I like to know where somthing that i"m gonna stick in my mouth has been. I've seen to many thime that the the cleasning process is dipping stuff in a bucket of sea water.