Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan - what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Alaska in July with the new Island Princess. We want to do many excursions. Helicopter (Pilot's choice in Juneau) - Kayak (Tatoosh Islands in Ketchikan) and MAYBE deep sea halibut fishing in Skagway. Has anyone done these particular trips and what would changes should we make?

We could do the helicopter ride in Skagway - because there are many more options for us in Juneau - but not sure which place would be the best for the price.

Thanks for any input. Susan
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 12:51 AM

Try www.cruisecritic.com and click on boards, then click on Ports of Call and then click on Alaska. The cruisecritics board is invaluable, lots of great tips and advice from veteren cruisers. I have found the information just great. I'm heading off in August with Celebrity. Have a great time.

Mac123
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 02:13 AM

We did the kayaking last summer - it was great. The ride out to the islands on an inflatable was fun by itself. Kayaking with mountains surrounding us, and bald eagle nests in the trees, etc. etc.

If you don't mind spending more money and like adventure - the helicopter ride with 2 hour hike on glacier was the highlight of our trip in Juneau. They outfit you completely and it's a once in a lifetime thing.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:35 AM

Halibut fishing would be choice out of Seward not Skagway. If so inclined consider independent booking direct with the operators. Skagway- www.temscoair.com Juneau either TEMSCO or www.coastalhelicopters.com
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:54 AM

Hi! If you are the same "Budget Queen" from the cruisecritic message board, hello there! Go with any suggestions BQ makes - she has great ideas and made our group brave enough to book our own excursions 2 yrs ago on Alaska cruise. Thanks again Budget Queen - we loved it! Anyway, the pilot's choice helicopter in Juneau was fabulous, we landed on a glacier, absolutely once-in-a-lifetime. (Even prompted us to repeat the adventure in HI last year). We walked off the boat and rented a kayak in Ketchikan, easy enough, but sounds like sueoz had a better adventure there...we didn't quite know where to kayak to so just paddled around the nearest island.

Have fun!
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 07:52 AM
ALF

How long will you be in Skagway? Most cruise ships spend a half-day or overnight there. If so, I would highly recommend renting a car and driving yourself into the Yukon, past Chilkoot Pass, then over towards Whitehorse. There aren't a heck of a lot of cars available, so you should make a reservation. This was great fun, and much cheaper than any cruise ship excursion.

I agree that the helicopter ride up onto the glacier above Juneau is definitely worthwhile. Also consider the raft trip that leaves from the Mendenhall Glacier terminus, and heads downriver from there. Short, but fun!
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:40 AM

My husband and son thought the helicopter ride in Juneau was disappointing--not nearly as good as the ones we have gone on in Hawaii. They loved halibut fishing--my husband caught a 340 lb (yes, you read that right--the largest caught last year as far as I know) halibut. We still have some in the freezer. Actually, our favorite things in Juneau were the Alaska history museum--amazingly well done--and hiking up in the hills behind town.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 05:44 PM

We did the helicopter ride in Juneau, it was awesome! Worth every penny - landing on two different glaciers and sipping champagne. Definitely once in a lifetime. Misty Fjords seaplane from Ketchikan was great too. Skagway train ride pretty on the way up, boring on the way back.