Theft at beaches in Kauai?

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theft at beaches in Kauai?

I have searched the posts and seen a lot about break ins of rental cars, but I wondered about belongings on the beach. There will be two of us, snorkeling the same time, should we feel safe leaving our stuff on the beach... mainly just towels-- but probably a digital camera, obviously hidden... but is it safe to leave things? Thanks!
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 09:14 PM

Valuables are not safe on the beach. You cannot hide them on the beach(bury, etc). People that are looking to steal are watching. This applies anywhere, not just Kauai. You can buy waterproof packs or pouches on the internet that you wear in the water when you are snorkeling.

Try here:

http://www.waterproofcases.net/index.html
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

Awesome... thanks for the tip.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 09:45 PM

Not to defend Kaua`i, but valuables left on any beach anywhere in the world should never be considered "safe".

We always use disposal underwater cameras -- nice photos, easy, and no worries. 8-)
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 05:29 AM

I go to the beach to relax and take only what I absolutely need so I don't have to worry about having something stolen, lost or wet. My wife once found a $100 bill in the sand as we were leaving the beach. It boggles my mind who would actually carry that amount of money to the beach. (I'd like to thank them though because I enjoyed a great dinner that night at their expense!) The less you take, the less you have to worry about.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 08:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As above I don't take anything valuable to the beach, then you don't have to use the waterproof packs or pouches...

Leave your room key with the hotel front desk, take only a coin purse with what you absolutely need for the day, use a disposable camera, toss this all in an open beach basket... there's now nothing of value to steal so nothing to worry about.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:44 PM

suze,

Are you going to leave your car keys and wallet at the hotel front desk also? Some things have to be with you. That is where the pouches come in to play. What about that coin purse? Where is that going to go when you are snorkeling?

8-)
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:12 PM

Car keys, wallets etc. can be left in the hotel room safe or in the hotel safe (usually behind the hotel reception desk). As another person said, the hotel room key can be left at the hotel desk. I would never leave anything on the beach when I wasn't right there.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:51 PM

GAWD, I must be missing something here!

Let's say that I am staying in Poipu on the south shore. Right? Okay. Now, I am going to go snorkeling at Ke'e Beach on the north shore. Okay? Would it be wise to leave my car keys and wallet in the room safe? I guess maybe I could hot wire the car and hope that I don't need to stop and get gas or food anywhere along the way. And heaven forbid if I have a fender bender because my ID is in my wallet back in the room safe. Come on people, you need to have some valuables with you unless you are a barracks rat and never venture beyond the hotel property. Jeez.......A waterproof pouch is a pretty simple solution. And trust me, I don't have stock in the company.
8-)
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 09:19 PM

I can pretty much just state this..if somebody really wants something,.they will find a way to take it. Crime is in the hearts and minds of those who commit it. True, the advice you give is good, the less you take, the less wanting eyes will see of it. But to add to the list of advice, my suggestion would be to carry items of value in non-traditional bags/holders. example=dont carry a camcorder around in a camcorder bag that clearly has "SONY" embroidered in attractive white lettering, try a less criminally active diaper bag instead.(this is of course, if they must be with you, and alternate safe storage is not an option).. And if and when you decide to take your items out for use, (such as a camera, or wallet) make sure you utilize the item as you are leaving, and not as you are just establishing your visitation at the site, whether it be a beach or club. if you have to withdraw money, try to do so in a bathroom-where public eyes cant identify where your finances are kept. Many beach theives use binoculars and are out looking to see where you put your stuff before you head for the waves. for example, if you and your better half are decidng to go to the beach and youve determined what items must come with you. before you chose a place to place your stuff (beach towel, chair, wallet, etc) take a look around,.are there any cliffs nearby? is there any other cars parked nearby? other people? a crowded beach could actually be your best friend, if the thief is afar and cant pinpoint your location on the beach,..but the best thing is,..take frequent breaks from the water,.and keep an active eye out for your items on the beach while in the water.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:52 AM

Two years ago my sister got a digital camera stolen while they were swimming on a beach in Kauai. Even though it was well "hidden".

She never figured it out how the thieves knew.....but binoculars is a good explanation.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:34 PM

We have visited Kauai 10 times and only had a problem once. At one of the beaches, someone smashed the passenger side window even though we did not have anything in the car. Now, we keep all the doors unlocked and windows partly lowered when we park at the beach. Fortunately our VISA card had coverage and reimbursed us for the window cost. We take our rental car keys, room key card, ID and a little cash to the beach.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:48 PM

At some of the beaches in Kauai, I have seen kids literally hiding in the trees watching people as they park thir car.

I had someone break into my rental car in HI. Now, like steven, I leave the car unlocked and windows down.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:32 PM

Unlocked and windows down ? That sure makes it easy for thieves to get at your car stereo, battery, spare tire, and other parts.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:35 PM

my thoughts exactly, rusty. hey, they could just pop the hood, hotwire the car and drive off with everything.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 02:21 PM

dfarr

That was my $100 bill you found. Please send it to me.

I can even describe it. It has the number 100 in each of the four corners and a picture of Benjamin Franklin on the front.

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 02:24 PM

you should re-read dfarr's post. he said he and his wife enjoyed a fabulous meal on your behalf and he wishes to thank you ever so kindly for your mishap,..err,.generosity. you may want to inquire what restaurant he dined at. But at $50.00 a plate, im sure he dined quite well. smiles.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:08 PM

I have heard that car theft isn't a big problem in Hawaii so the likelihood of someone stealing the car is minimal. Petty theft is the big problem because it is quick and easy, and items like electronics, jewelry and so on can be sold easily. As for the car stereo - if you are in a rental, you've just got the cheapo base model from the manufacturer in it. Not much of a black market for those. The jack and spare tire - again, hard to unload for much cash and bulky to transport.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:36 PM

I don't know about now but when I lived on Oahu in the '70s car theft was a major problem on that island. They would steal the cars in Honolulu and take them to the north shore to be stripped for parts. A colleague of mine lost his car while grocery shopping.

But, the way that I look at it, when in paradise, don't sweat the little stuff. File a report, then go get a mai tai.

8-)
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 03:15 PM

If you have to ask if it is safe to leave a camera unattended on the beach you shouldn't be travelling unless accompanied by a responsible adult.