Kauai beaches shade.

Search

Kauai beaches shade.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai beaches shade.

Hello again. This may sound like a weird question, but my husband has had some trouble with his moles lately, not Melanoma, but pre stuff. I'm in skin care, so I know all the warnings, but, what I can't remember, because it's been too many years since we've been back to Kauai, what is the shade situation on the main beaches. Yes, I can by shade, but, just wondering about tree shade. I'm on Anini for the first half, and there are lots of trees there, right?(never been to Anini). I can't remember about Tunnels, Ke'e, Isn't Ke'e's shade back off the beach a bit? And Lumahai, Poipu etc. Don't want to buy bulky umberellas that blow away anyway. Found some good pop ups online. But trees are always better. Thanks
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 06:33 PM

Think you will be fine on the Northside beaches but may need an umbrella for Poipu. I think there are trees, but set back from the beach a little. It's been 10 years since I've been there, so hopefully you will have some recent vistors or Kauai natives (Auntie Maria I think?).
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 07:24 PM

Not a weird question at all! I don't tolerate the sun well either but I did just fine this past summer on Kauai. Annini is a very narrow beach with a large public park with lots of shade so hopefully your husband should be fine there. On the north shore, most of the beaches we visited had lots of shade trees.

Have a great time! Kauai is really something special!
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 04:47 AM

Plenty of shade to be had at Makua (Tunnels), Hideaways and Ke'e. We used an umbrella at Hanalei Bay.

-Bill
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 11:28 AM

One of my favorites for shade is Kalapaki Beach by the Marriott in Lihue. The far south end of the lawn and beach is used by non-hotel guests. There are many trees. I particularly like the lush green grass; much nicer than sitting in the sand. There are usually some lounge chairs around for people to use, and a nearby bathroom.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Ag3046

Poipu has some trees, but the shady tables get taken pretty quickly. I'm not a huge fan of Poipu. Too many people, poor snorkeling, sharp stuff on the bottom. Also look into some sun-protective snorkeling "rash guards". Coolibar (www.coolibar.com) makes some that are really great for avoiding not only sun exposure, but the horrible sunburns that can come from snorkeling or swimming without adequate protection. Sometimes the sun is so intense that a liquid sunblock is just not enough, and you really need the barrier effect from sun-protective clothing.

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. 23rd is coming soon. hope the weather is Kauai normal.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 03:08 PM

Kahiliwai is a vastly underrated beach that has a lot of shade. Lots of shade at Anahola as well, particularly toward the beach park. Some shade at Moloa'a if you head north at the shore. Check out the very far end of Hanalei toward Black Pot Pier. At the farthest parking spot at Maha-elupu you can find shade in the ironwoods.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 08:16 PM

Stop at Kauai Walmart and buy a large (72-96") umbrella. They are usually $10 -20 depending on the season. Buy two collapsable nylon chairs with footrests $10-15 each. Buy a roll of nylon cord. Imbed the umbrella between the two chairs and lash it to one of them. It will not blow away even in the high windy season. You will be prepared to go to any beach you like, make camp at the best view and stay there all day with protection from the sun. You can even laugh at the rain.

Give it all to someone when you leave or take it home with you.