SF weekend 8 October 2006

Oct 8th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Original Poster

SF weekend 8 October 2006

"Fleet Week" started today. Blue Angels and that sort of thing. Beautiful, beautiful weather in SF. I've seen the air show 3 or 4 times and am amazed that the weather for this Fleet Week event is always good. I am told that October is the best time to visit SF, weather-wise. Have frozen here in June.

Saw a new musical show called "Absolutely San Francisco" at a funky little upstairs theater called the Phoenix near Union Square. A real charming, sincere and musically rich effort by a tiny theater company (near as I can make out, "Not Quite Opera" is just a husband-wife and 2 kids team). Really great to hear heartfelt original music (the half-thought out parodies in "Beach Blanket Babylon" are not my cup of tea) and a sweet little story that probably tells you more about what San Franciscans (and Californians, I would imagine) are after -- what they call the San Francisco "dream."

As usual, the "homeless" are out in droves.
Oct 8th, 2006, 10:18 AM

My DH and I are going for our annual SAn Francisco visit T-Day weekend and really appreciate the tip re: the play.

I had placed a post anout new things to see & do in San but my post sunk so fast only one person responded..they mentione Bloomies opened.
Any other new things?? mu husband like new wineries// we may go to Copia

Oct 8th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Our first night on a recent trip to SF had no plans so we bought last minute tickets for a play at the Shelton just a few blocks up on Sutter. The theatre is rustic and so tiny you could hear a mouse f…aint.

This play made me laugh ‘til I cried. We would love to see it again….with some shop-aholic friends or family.

The name of the play is “Shopping”. $-)

Oct 8th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

"Absolutely San Francisco" will have closed by Thanksgiving (it closes next week.) I have not seen "Shopping" but I have also heard it is hilarious. That one, as I understand it, has an open run. The Shelton is as they say: small, but IMHO very comfortable. And right near Union Square.
Oct 8th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

By the way, the newest thing in town is, I believe, the Westfield Mall downtown, which had a big blowout opening just before I arrived. Haven't seen it, but it is a new thing.
Oct 8th, 2006, 04:07 PM

You could check www.sfgate.com for local info such as entertainment for that week. And post again in another month and maybe we can give you a more current update.

Don't you just hate it when your post sinks like a rock?
Oct 8th, 2006, 06:16 PM

I went to the new Westfield shopping town. It was very nice. Went into Bloomies, which was a little overwelming.
Oct 12th, 2006, 12:26 PM

I was there enjoying the Blue Angels myself last week !...Had a wonderful time, did the Alcatraz Night Tour, Walked alot from my friend's house in Nob Hill to the Wharf and back, drove across the bridge, enjoyed a different ethnic restaurant each day, it is an AMAZING city and the weather was incredible that week, sunny and crisp, only the last day I was there had fog...
Oct 12th, 2006, 12:42 PM

I enjoyed "Shopping, the Musical" at Shelton. San Francisco comedy. Have you seen "Are we there yet?" This one was hilarious!

As for "absolutely"... well... I didn't feel this play was worth paying for it. The ideas they are trying to sell are not mine.

(and what is it about that younger guy in "absolutely"? His face is like a mask. Like he just had a face-lift)

Another favorite place is Eureka theater in the Embarcadero area.
Oct 12th, 2006, 12:45 PM

Is there a new movie theater on the Mission side of Bloomies? Century Cinema?

I wonder who goes belly up first, this one, or Loew's just 1/2 block away.
Oct 12th, 2006, 06:10 PM

I am not sure if I was reading it right or reading the connotation right, but what did the OP mean by "as usual, the "'homeless'" are out in droves" ?

Did they mean that they don't feel there are homeless people, or that people are pretending they are homeless, or what?

I am sorry if I sound argumentative, it is just that 1) I live in SF and know how it is to live in poverty and also how to live in middle class economic situations, 2) I have been saddened by some comments regarding the plight of the homeless and so it touches a nerve with me when I feel a person may be speaking off the cuff about a population they may not know or understand.

Ok, I am off of my soapbox now.

Oct 15th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

I most sincerely apologize if I gave offense by qualifying the word homeless. I put it this way as a sort of questioning the concept of "care not cash." It appears to me that this has certainly failed. If indeed street people qualify for care (including housing), then they are no longer "homeless." They are, I believe, what we fail to call them: desperate, social outcasts in need of outreach. They are also a danger to themselves and to all of us. It should not be sugar coated for those interested in visiting this remarkable city that the odor is hard to take, the begging is disquieting and that some of these people will attack you (my wife had a bag of who-knows-what thrown at her and an acquaintance of mine was stabbed with a screwdriver.) And there are not just a few, there a hundreds and hundreds, many of whom do not appear to be sleeping on the street, but reside in the myriad flophouses along most of the downtown streets.

Again, my heart and spirit go out to those with inner demons that take them to the street life, but it is also an important thing for the traveler to know.
Oct 15th, 2006, 02:50 PM

There is a good website to check out....www.nch.org or you can google the national coalition on homelessness. It has some good stats and will show you that while some crime does happen, a majority of the crime is not commited by homeless people, nor do most of them choose the "streetlife". You can get a better grasp on a population of people that anyone of us could become given certain circumstances.

Oct 15th, 2006, 03:33 PM

The crime in SF is now high. But it seems as though those involved are involved in drugs and gangs.

Having said that as much as I feel for the homeless in SF it is truly a problem. And I say that as someone who had family come to SF right after the Civil War.

The SF Chronical just had an article about a week ago with quotes from the Mayor of SF and the Chief of SFPD regarding the increase problem on Market St., by 5th St., due to Bloomindales opening up. Customers assumed to have money. The comment was also made that the Powell St., BART station was now having problems, assualts, purse snatchings etc. The crime in SF has gotten worse, much worse. Of course most of it occurs in areas where tourist do not usually go. But even Broadway and Columbus is going to have more police at night due to problems according to the SF Chronical per the SFPD.
Oct 15th, 2006, 09:39 PM

The crime in the north beach area has a lot, I repeat, A WHOLE LOT, to do with people who flock to that part of the neighborhood for drinking and clubbing and the exotic dance clubs. Any area in the city that has a high population of highly intoxicated people that are partying on the weekends are going to attract an element of crimes---some due to public intoxication, others love spats, and some muggings, etc. And a lot of people involved in these incidents are coming in from other neighboring cities and burbs.

I agree that there is crime in San Francisco. I just find it a shame that it seems as if it only makes the papers if the crime is in a more affluent part of the city. I am a native as well, and so I know how things used to be, and I know how they are now. And yes, we have already lost so much culture in the city and what made it so unique. It is not becoming a place where certain populations of people are being pushed out through the various gentrification methods. You can definately cut the crime without cutting out the diversity that makes the city so beautiful.

Gavin does a good job of keeping his hair in place, but he has yet to stop the gun violence, and it seems as if you are from or in a certain neighborhood, people forget that you are what makes the city unique.

You can get rid of the crime without targeting certain groups, and you can definately help to stop the homelessness issue by helping the working poor prevent homelessness and by first beginning to realize that the homeless are not a word used to describe an unwanted object. They are people, plain and simple, and any one of us could be in their shoes depending on life circumstances.
Oct 15th, 2006, 09:40 PM

Ps. the above rant is in no way directed at anyone in particular, but more a result of seeing thread after thread after thread of people that visit SF, or live in SF, and when they discuss homelessness, they sometimes fail to acknowledge that real people are involved.

Search this Thread