Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

the state of Georgia, off the beaten path?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to hear from travellers who've done the route from Florida and (up the coast) into Georgia, and eventually the Carolina's (but focusing on Georgia). I'd like to go the route but only if there's enough interesting stops along the way? What would be considered interesting in that part of America?

Well, maybe architecture? Old homes, mansions. Perhaps, nature? National/State Parks that can't be missed? I'd like to avoid commercial areas in lieu of more unique experiences. That includes cuisine (what's soul food)??? Why would travellers (foreigners) find Georgia or the Carolina's interesting (or even parts of North Florida)?

Can you recommend a place along the way? I can look them up, and if they're one of a kind, I will add them as a stopover. So, what places are NOT-TO-MISS in Georgia?

I'd like to hear reports from people who've been to unique places (that aren't so overated like so much else out there but instead are one of a kind and worth the stop) (i.e. cities, towns, neighbourhoods, national/state parks, beaches, lookout points, mountains, photographic scenary, and other natural/historic or architectural highlights) in the state of Georgia.

I'll have all the time in the world in every place I go, so yime is not an issue, but money is.

So what do you recommend that you've ACTUALLY been to and can vouch for?

thanx

and p.s.
Can i hitchhike this route? Do Americans pickup backpackers pointing out their thumb on the highway? If so, what time of day is best to get picked up, and in what part of the highway?
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:32 AM

I grew up in the area so I'm very familiar with the sites. If you are starting in North Florida, go to St. Augustine. It's the oldest city in the US and has some cool sites. You can make your way north on US1 and go to Cumberland Island. Very remote island that is only assessable by a ferry. Great place for nature watching and relaxing. Next, you can go Jekyll Island. It's a state owned island and not commerical. If you take Hwy 17 (in Georgia), you will pass Sapelo Island. This island is very remote and not modernized. Slave descendents still live there. (http://www.n-georgia.com/costIslands.htm) After Sapelo, travel on to Savannah. A wonderful, old city. Just do a search on the web and you will find a lot of info. In South Carolina, you can visit Beaufort and Charleston. Beautiful cities!

As far as hitchhiking, I do not recommend it. Most people do not pick up hikers. However, you could travel Interstate 95 and some truck drivers might pick you up.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:29 AM

I'd recommend a stop at Skidaway Island State Park. Great hiking/biking trails, bird watching and camping. Also the University of GA has a marine reseach center on the island definately worth checking out. Skidaway is just south of Savannah.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:53 AM

See the lighthouses at Tybee Island.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 11:16 AM

Google 'rock eagle'
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 11:26 AM

Along the coast of Georgia stay on highway 17 into Savannah. Not not hitchhike!!!!
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 09:28 PM

I meant do not hitchhike.