Daniel Island SC and other planned communities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received such good advice about my planned trip to Provence that I will try my luck here.

We (a couple just over the 50 year mark) are thinking about where we'd like to retire. So are our friends and some have already bought places in Florida and Arizona as vacations homes now, retirement homes down the road.
So we're trying to make up our list of places to check out over the new two years. One of the possibilities is Daniel Island, SC. Any opinions?
What we are looking for:

Planned community: I know some people hate planned communities and that's fine, but we like them. We would like a good-sized community with a mix of housing and (very important) recreational opportunities, in particular large swimming pool(s), walking trails, bike paths, and (also very important) shops, cafes, business within the planned community itself. Nice landscaping. When we say swimming pools, we mean the kind big enough to swim laps in, not simply for lounging around. Golf course not necessary. Pets accepted.

Price range: up to $425k for a 3-bed or 2-bed+den/loft condo or townhouse. Want reasonably high quality finish. Square footage in the 1300-1700 range, not over 2000 sf. Also like a little bit of outside space--a patio, terrace, screened porch, small yard. A small balcony won't be enough. Parking or garage for at least one car.

Location: We are pretty flexible. Although we have ruled out Texas, Florida, Alabama, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada. Too dry, too hot or both. We know SC gets pretty hot, too, it's as far south as we're willing to go. We're willing to go pretty far north, white Christmases would be fine!
East or West Coast. Not in heart of the Midwest, we want to be within a 5 hour drive of a coast or at the very least, within 2 hours of the Great Lakes.
Would ideally like to be within 45 minutes drive of a good sized city with a lively arts scene (doesn't have to be a major city like NYC, Chicago, SF, LA, etc.). Or near a smaller city/town that has its own cultural activities. A university town, for example.

We don't need to be near our kids. They're just starting their adult lives and if they're anything like us, they'll be moving quite a bit before they settle down. We don't want them to feel they have to stay near Mom and Dad.

We have done quite a bit of research, but most of what we can find focuses on "active adult" communities. We're not against those, but we're also interested in communities that welcome families too.

In our search, we're starting to feel like Goldilocks, nothing has been just right...the community is too small or doesn't have the amenities we want or (sigh) too expensive.

Final thought: we prefer to move into a community that is at least 80% complete. We've been sent info about some communities that are starting construction but are a little wary...with the housing market the way it is, we're afraid the builder might not be able to live up to their promises or that we'd move into a street of mostly empty homes (a development near us is only 30% sold, it's a depressing place).

So, we're throwing ourselves out there, any links to specific communities would be most appreciated!
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 07:12 AM
GoTravel

Daniel Island is gorgeous and very upscale.

Even though technically it is a planned community, I'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would call it that.

I think $425,000 is probably entry level for Daniel Island.

The entire Mt.Pleasant/Charleston/IOP/Sullivans Island area is very nice. Also, south of Charleston Seabrook, Edisto or Kiawah would be nice.

I can promise you will not see a white Christmas but you'll not find the level of culture, dining, and shopping anywhere else in the US for a town that size either.

I may be biased but you'd be hard pressed to find a better quality of life than Charleston.

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you GoTravel! We hope to visit Daniel Island later this year. Prices have dropped there and some properties are not moving that well, we've been looking at one place that has dropped more than $30k and another that has dropped about $25k since we first saw them listed and both seem to be the kind of places we'd like. They are well within our budget.
Yes, I guess what we want is a "technically" planned community as you put it not simply a development of a fairly small number of homes with little variety.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 10:35 AM

GT,
How would you rate Daniels Island against Isle of Palm??

Daniel Island looks very nice.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Hoping for more views or suggestions for other planned communities.
Any similar communities near or in the Asheville NC area?
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 10:37 PM
GoTravel

Hi Andrew!

I'd actually rate Sullivan's Island higher than IOP or Daniel Island but all three are pretty terrific.

Daniel Island is more designer homes and it is inland. Very all about the environment. Great marsh.

IOP is kind of cookie cutter massive houses on a barrier island. Wherever you are on IOP you are never more than a couple minute walk to the beach. Lots and lots of transient rentals (Wild Dunes is IOP).

Sullivans Island is a local island with great homes on huge lots. Gorgeous wide beach.

Lots of famous people have homes on Sullivans because of its wonderful atmosphere. Pat Conroy, Ann Rivers Siddons, Bill Murray.

IOP and Sullivans Island are actually the same land mass but Sullivans is closer to downtown Charleston.

Y'all thinking of moving?

Old Aug 9th, 2008, 12:29 PM

Hi GT,
Hope your training is going well. Steelygirl and I were thinking of the Charleston area if we don't move to Santa Barbara. Thank you for all of your help, I really appreciate it.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 10:50 AM
GoTravel

Andrew, have you been to Charleston before? The town is full of expat New Yorkers.

It is also culturally and racially diverse.

You will not find another city of its size (and bigger cities) with as much to offer culturally, dining, shopping, architecture, etc.

I don't know if this pertains to either of you but Charleston also has one of the largest Jewish populations in the south.

Come visit. I'd be glad to show y'all around.

Old Aug 12th, 2008, 06:39 PM

Hi GT,
My wife and I have had three wonderful visits to Charleston. During our last visit, we fell in love with the area around Isle of Palm/Sullivans Island.

We would love to have you show us around the next time we visit Charleston. Even though we have had 3 visits, I feel we missed some great spots.