Savannah daytrip suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Savannah for four days soon, and plan to use one day for a daytrip to a nearby Georgia island or Hilton Head. I've heard some so-so things said about Tybee, and we're willing to drive up to 1.5 to 2 hours from Savannah. What do you think is the best option?
Thanks!
Kelly
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:40 PM

Well, depending on what you want in an island trip...

The BEST island to see is Cumberland Island - which is protected and mostly still wild. Drive down to St. Mary's and take the ferry over to Cumberland for the day. Gorgeous.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 09:29 PM

We enjoyed our afternoon in Tybee. We visited the lighthouse and had lunch at the Crab Shack. We also drove to Beaufort, SC one day and it's an interesting, historic little town.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 01:52 AM

Hilton Head is nice, but it's mainly a retired golfer's paradise--not much to do there. Tybee Island is enjoyable.
Make sure to stop at Fort Pulaski, which is on the way to Tybee. This is a beautiful fort complete with drawbridge. A very worthwhile tour.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 02:36 AM

We have been there last week.

You can drive to Tybee Island (just 20 minutes from downtown - we stopped first an Bonaventure Cemetery which is on the way). There is a lighthouse with a little museum (we did not visit), access to the beach, a nice seaside village and all kinds of bars and restaurants (from VERY casual "Crab Shack" to VERY upscale "George's").

On the way, you can visit Fort Pulaski (it is a must) and Oatland Island Educational Center (kind of zoo with native animals in their natural habitat - was unfortunately closed on Sunday, when we were there).

We also enjoyed walking/hiking through the marshland in Skidaway Island State Park (quick and easy access from Tybee or Savannah over Truman Parkway - drive to the southern end of the parkway and then left).

Distances in the region are very short and roads are good.

You will enjoy your daytrip (unless it is raining). We saw no need to drive to Hilton Head or somewhere else. I can image that Tybee Island will be very touristic and crowded on summer weekends but this time of year it is just nice.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 05:18 AM

We spend a week in Hilton Head every summer and do a day trip to Savannah. I love Hilton Head, but is pretty much a beach vacation for us - if it is too cold for the beach I don't know that it is worth the drive (there is some outlet shopping there but I have always been too busy relaxing to shop!). You can make the drive from Savannah to HH in 45 minutes easily. When in Savannah, be sure to eat at Mrs Wilkes (we really enjoyed it, but were disapointed w/Lady & Sons). Have Fun!
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! I've heard that Jekyl and St. Simons are nicer than Tybee to visit, even though they're farther. Anyone have any opinion on whether these are good day trips from Savannah? And Snowrooster, we definitely plan on eating at Mrs. Wilkes, as long as we can get there for lunch on the Friday we arrive or the Monday, before we leave. (I understand that it's closed for dinner and on the weekends.)
Thanks!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 06:12 AM

Mrs. Wilkes is terrific. Go early. We got there about 11:00 and there were only about half a dozen people in line. It was well worth the wait. We had two interesting couples from Canada at our table that added to the experience. I think we counted about 21 dishes passed during our lunch.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 08:02 AM

If you just want to see a beach, Jekyll is about the same as Tybee. In my opinion for what it's worth, Jekyll is not worth the trip. Sand is sand and ocean is ocean. Tybee sort of closes down after Labor Day. The crowds will be gone and a lot of the tacky-tourist shops will be closed. It's nice to just walk on the beach when it's warm enough.

Ride down to Tybee, take a walk out on the pier....that's a neat walk, especially at high tide. Just spend some time sitting and enjoying the breeze out there. If anyone likes to fish, bring your rod. On your way back to Savannah, be sure and stop and see Fort Pulaski. It's just a couple of miles west of Tybee.