Brunswick/Jekyll Island attractions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! My friends and I are heading to Jekyll Island, GA (staying in Brunswick) for the last week in March. We'll be spending most of our time relaxing on the beach, but we may want to do something a bit more lively at some point. Does anyone have a suggestion for, or particularly memorable experience with, nearby activities? Any suggestions for good places to go dancing, great places to eat, shop, etc.? Thanks everyone!
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 07:18 PM

Well, I'd stay somewhere other than Brunswick if I had a choice.

Jekyll is very quiet - more of a nature preserve than a happening place. Not really any dancing or shopping and some okay (not great) places to eat.

I absolutely love Jekyll JUST for those reasons.

Go to St. Simons (the next island north of Jekyll and just outside Brunswick) for more things to do.

I love walking the beach on Jekyll, biking and taking a kayak trip out of the Nature Center. Touring the mansions of historic Jekyll is nice. Stop at the Jekyll Island Club for drinks, Starbucks, dessert or a game of croquet on the front lawn (see Jekyll is really slow! )
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 01:30 AM

Starsville gave you some great advice.
You can also go to neighboring St. Simons island and take a trolley tour and go to Fort Fredrica. Fort Fredrica is very different from most Forts, and has lovely views. It's worth the trip.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:26 AM

The fact that Jekyll Island isn't big on "attractions" is the biggest attraction of Jekyll Island of all to its fans. It's tranquil, beautiful and quite unspoiled by development with just a handful of very nice places to eat or have a drink.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:28 AM

Amen
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone...that's why we picked Jekyll too! I can't wait to really be able to relax on the beach...with not many people in view

I think we plan to bike around the island a bit on one of our days there, too.

Just wondered if there were any suggestions, in case any of the other girls get restless, haha.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 11:47 AM

You are going to miss a jazz festival -

http://www.jekyllisland.com/bellasera/

Check the website for other things that may be going on.

BTW, the quality of the food at Seajay's has really gone down. Used to love it. It was horrible. Local bartender said the owner has gotten into politics and is never at the restaurant anymore.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

I know! I was so disappointed when I saw it on the website. We're locked in to the 26-31, though.

Thanks for the warning about the restaurant. How about the Courtyard at Crane or the Grand Dining Room (for a bit of fancy ) Any good/bad experiences there?
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 09:40 PM

Hi, captkari85,

Did you say you are staying in Brunswick? If you can get accommodations on Jekyll or St. Simons, do. I can't think of one motel I'd go to unless it would be one of the newer ones by the airport. You are going to a beautiful area and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip. Now, I've been gone for a year and maybe Brunswick has gotten pretty all of a sudden. There are lovely people there, just don't stay there.

Good luck, Joan
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 09:51 PM

captkari,

I had a lovely Thanksgiving dinner at Crane Cottage and they do have nice lunches. Also Jekyll Island Club has decent food.

If you want less expensive family type places for breakfast, lunch and sometimes dinner try Dressners right in the village on St. Simons. Also down a block is The 4th of May for all three meals. On a corner is Barbara Jeans and they serve lunch and dinner. These 3 are all in the village on St. Simons. Just writing about them make me home sick .
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 09:00 AM

Hi everyone....

How was your trip, captkari85? I would love to hear all about it.

I love all of this information on Jekyll. I am close to deciding to going there in August with my 7 yr old daughter. I am also considering Isle of Palms in SC but am leaning towards JI due to the quiet nature of it.

Debating between Beachview Club Hotel and Villas of the Seas...any ideas? want a nice pool for my daughter, a nice beach to collect shells on, and a nice and clean and comfortable room. Being able to eat onsite or close by would be nice but not required. How about some nice restaraunts..ocean view, atmosphere and good food, especially seafood..any suggestions on JI or St. Simons?

Thanks for your input.

Old May 25th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your input everyone! We had a fantastic trip!

First, I should explain that this was a spring break trip, so we four college students couldn't (unfortunately) afford to stay on Jekyll. We did stay at the Park Inn in Brunswick, which was a fairly nice hotel...newly rennovated, I believe. It was an easy 30 minute drive to the island, which we were willing to deal with for the lower hotel price.

Jekyll itself was gorgeous, of course. Nice and quiet beach...so relaxing! The historic district was wonderful as well, and driving and picnicing around the island was lovely. One day, we rented bikes (two of my friends attempted the tandem bike, which made for some good memories) and rode around the historic district. Very fun!

We ended up going to eat on St. Simons at a little place called Nazzaro's. The food was delicious, even though the place was a little hard to find.

Everyone we met kept asking us where we were headed for our final spring break destination; no one believed Jekyll was where we chose to stay, haha. However, we had a fabulous, relaxing vacation on and near the island, and I would recommend it to anyone!
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:06 PM

Captkari, it is good to hear that you had a good trip. Thank you for the report.
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:44 PM

Glad you enjoyed it. I love Jekyll. I hope the new "development" doesn't change it much. It's perfect (to me) just the way it is right now