The right place in Sedona

Old Mar 26th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

The right place in Sedona

We are an older couple looking for a place to spend 5 nights in Sedona. We will arrive there after about 10 days of touring the parks. I would like an upscale, but not 5 star luxury place. I prefer not to stay in a chain, but do not want some place with just 5 rooms. I do not know whether it makes any difference if one stays in Uptown, Village of Oak Creek or West Sedona. We will want to take some walks, see some Galleries and maybe a Jeep tour. We would like to be not too far from some nice restaurants. I have heard that there is a fair amount of traffic and construction in parts of Sedona. While it is probably unavoidable, I would like to stay someplace that minimizes having to deal with it. Finally, I would like a place with views, a refrigerator, and is pleasant to spend some afternoon time. I know we should be out all day, but I am sure that my husband will want to nap some afternoons and i will want to be someplace that has a pleasant place to hang out.

Canyon villas was very appealing, but they are booked when we will be there, in mid May. A pool might be nice, but I think it may not be warm enough. Does Los Posados have any grounds, other than the patio? And do I really want to be near Uptown Sedona? Not much of a souvernir shopper.

Thanks for your guidance.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 11:11 AM

Sounds like you might like a casita room at Enchantment... the resort is away from the village, but self contained... the Casita rooms have a kitchenette and dining area and the resort has excellent food... availability and price may stop you but its worth a look... have fun
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 11:34 AM

We love Enchantment Resort and a casita is the perfect venue for you..its not cheap but I did see some deals on expedia.com for around $250 a night..
BW Inn of Sedona is nice and renovated with small fridge and great views..ask for the #300 number rooms..all renovated.
Sedona Rouge resort and spa is nice too..
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 12:04 PM

We have stayed at Sky Ranch Lodge. It is a really lovely place at a very reasonable rate compared to the resorts. The grounds are beautiful and relaxing. http://www.skyranchlodge.com/ It is not far from restaurants and shopping etc but they are not within walking distance - 5 - 10 minutes by car. They have quite a varied selection as far as accommodations go. (a great spot for that afternoon nap or reading a book in the gardens)
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 12:22 PM

I've also been looking for lodging in Sedona and came across some very appealing B&B's: Alma de Sedona, Casa Sedona, Sedona Inn, Copper Canyon Lodge, The Lodge at Sedona and Las Posados, which was booked for my dates. I settled on Casa Sedona.

All places have rooms with views, many have balconies or patios. All were very appealing.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I thought Enchantment might be too far away and a long drive to restaurants at night. Also thought it would be too expensive. I will check it out, though I was not looking for someplace quite that large.

Any opinions on Los Posados, L'auberge de Sedona or Adobe Graham? How do they compare with respect to location, and overall attractiveness? Junipine seemed nice, but far away.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 01:52 PM

We go to Sedona a couple of times a year for over 25+ years so I would say that Enchantment isn't that far (couple of miles to great restaurants) and you do not want to be where the restaurants are, which is in town.
They used to have a great shuttle service and the restaurants are divine at the resort.

Sky Ranch is about as un upscale as you can get!
I would NOT recommend to stay there but they do have their fans.

L'Auberge is nice but the last time we were there it needed updating.
We like the Hyatt and Hilton..upscale and reasonable.
Sedona Rouge is very Kimpton and around $159 a night.
Didn't like the Radisson..

Enchantment is considered one of the best resorts in the world and it would be such a shame not to stay there if you can afford it, based on that its a couple of miles to drive to a restaurant!
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 02:29 PM

For some unexplained reason, the Lodge at Sedona http://www.lodgeatsedona.com/ is under the radar for most travelers to Sedona wanting more upscale accommodations. For starters, they are 4-diamond rated by the AAA and appear to meet all of your requirements. We stayed in a suite and found it very spacious and well appointed. I think there was a refrigerator too. Their breakfasts are magnificent. I cannot compare with Enchantment as I have never been there. However, the Lodge at Sedona is very, very nice.

Old Mar 26th, 2010, 02:38 PM

I recommend Inn at Oak Creek. There is plenty of privacy if you get a room that overlooks the creek. Service is first-rate, and it is a comfortable place to relax in the afternoon. Beautiful breakfast, hammock next to the creek, private balconies. We like Sky Ranch Lodge but it is NOT upscale - very rustic and basic with fabulous view.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the help. I finally decided on The Lodge at Sedona. It lacked an in room refrigerator, but the price was good for mid May, it looks very pretty and has a wonderful shaded deck. I like the idea of an available pool next door.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 12:16 PM

I had an interesting experience with Casa Sedona yesterday.
Late last week I booked 4 nights there for late April. After doing more research and planning I decided that I could only afford 3 nights there, timewise. So I called to cancel the last night and was told that I would be charged a $35 cancellation fee, even tho' I'd still be spending 3 nights there.
The website does state that a $35 fee applies to cancellations, but it doesn't specify that it applies as well to modifications and it seems to me that it's unreasonable to charge someone a cancellation fee for one night when she's still spending 3 nights at a place.
The woman I spoke to kept repeating that it was their policy and that was that and she wouldn't budge, or even make an adjustment.
I was turned off by the whole exchange and just decided to cancel the whole reservation. When I said I wanted to cancel completely she said "Okay" and abruptly hung up.
So I'll still be charged the $35 cancellation fee, but at least it's for 4 nights and not just one.

I just thought I'd pass this along.