Reload this Page >

The Producers New York

Search

The Producers New York

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 09:33 AM
Carol

The Producers New York

I am surprising my husband with a trip to NYC in September and want to buy tickets to The Producers. I know it is sold out, and I will be buying tickets from a broker. The question I have is does anyone know what performances during the week that Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick are replaced by understudies. I would hate to buy extremely expensive tickets for a performance that they are not in. Can anyone help?

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 09:55 AM
Caitlin

They are scheduled to be in all performances unless one is specifically released for a period to do something else, there is no regular showtime that they don't work. So unfortunately you cannot know in advance--if one doesn't appear, it's usually due to illness or emergency. Believe me, MB and NL know you're there to see *them*. In my experience, "stars" are most likely to be missing from matinee appearances.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Lori

I don't think that there is any set schedule as to when they won't appear. They have contracts, and I expect they honor them and are only not on stage if they are ill. Nathan Lane has missed several shows due to a throat problem, and Matthew was scheduled to take a leave in the fall to film a movie, which I understand has been postponed. Unofficially, your best bet to see them is probably the weekend shows, although I got tickets for a Tuesday evening performance using the guise that they have rested since Sunday.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 09:57 AM
jhm

Just a side note: a friend of mine recently saw the Producers and said there was a near riot when it was announced that Nathan Lane would not be performing. She is a discriminating theatergoer, and said that the understudy's performance was superb and she loved the show in spite of Nathan Lane's absence.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 02:06 PM
just curious

Carol: If your willing to reveal it, I am just curious as to how much you are having to pay a broker for two tickets. I was able to score a half way decent single ticket through the official Tele-Charge but not until first week in March. Other odd singles were available prior to that but mostly in balcony. Like you, one of the main criteria is to see Lane and Broderick. Their current contracts run through March 17. Don't know if they will extend them or not. Hoping that if they don't they will want to finish with a bang and show up for all of the performances for the last two weeks. Hate to wait till 2002, but it gives me a little something to look forward to and also chance to get great tickets for Mamma Mia.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 03:29 PM
Celeste

I know that here in Orlando, a lot of the travel agencies who commonly offer Broadway Show weekend packages in New York have bought up a lot of the tickets. One local company here can send me to see The Producers with decent seats just about anytime I want. So no matter where you live, you might check with a couple of travel agencies before you let a broker take advantage of you!

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 04:40 PM
Carol

Thanks for the information everyone.
To Just Curious: I've been quoted $500 for a pair in the lower orchestra. I know it is extremely expensive, but it is a very special birthday for my husband and he loves Broadway and after seeing the Tony's would love to see The Producers. BTW, I've seen tickets advertised for a much higher price.
Normally I wouldn't spend that much on a show..I'm the type to usually go to TKTS.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Larry

Have heard that you can walk up and possibly get a ticket on day of performance...that was told to me by a New Yorker...the seats maynot be together...but I'd be laughing so hard it won't matter..

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 08:03 PM
Caitlin

Yes, but there are usually 6-8 seats available and 10 times that many people in line. Hardly a guarantee.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 03:27 AM
Just Curious

Carol: Thanks for being open to answering the question about price of the tickets. $500 for two good seats in September sounds excellent. The ticket broker sites I looked at and also Ebay all had prices higher. Sounds like you did good. Let us know how you enjoyed the show when you return.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 04:23 AM
Theresa

I was lucky enough to purchase four tickets to the 11/23/01(evening after Thanksgiving) performance and have been fearful of the same thing. Does anyone know what the odds are of Lane/Broderick appearing on the holiday weekend. I figure it could go either way.....either they know the crowds will be there for the big holiday weekend and expect stars OR they, too, want a break for the holiday and will not be there. Does anyone have any "holiday" experience they can share?

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 04:35 AM
sss

try calling the theatre

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 05:04 AM
Howard

Responding to two of subjects of this thread:
1. Getting tickets for the day of the performance: Yes, you can luck in a get them, but you'll have to get to the theater early that day (say around 8 a.m.!) and wait for several hours. Bring a chair. Friends of mine did this, got tickets, sold them for double their price and bought standing room for a $138 profit!
2. Stars missing a performance: The odds are with you that it won't happen...but it could! Keep in mind that in the situation of The Producers, neither Lane nor Broderick are going to repeatedly take days off (except for illness), since it would indeed affect the box office take (i.e., people demanding refunds or exchanging tickets for later performances)....and the producers (the real ones, that is) certainly would have something to say about it! (PS: Nathan Lane's understudy is Brad Oscar, who plays the German playwright. While no one can replace Lane, Oscar's performance has been highly praised.)

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 10:38 AM
Ellen

I've seen the show twice. The first time, Matthew was not there, he was ill. His understudy was wonderful--he did a great 'broderick' performance. You may be disappointed initially if one or the other stars are replaced for the evening, but the understudies have been so well chosen that you will soon get over it. Broderick and Lane are in Broadway productions quite frequently. If you miss one of them in the Producers, you will surely catch them around for another show. I remember being sorely disappointed to find out Betty Buckley would not be in the evening performance of Sunset Boulevard that I was attending. Her replacement was almost better than she was!