The Muse New York City?

Search

The Muse New York City?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Muse New York City?

Help. Does anyone know anything about The Muse at Times Square. We have rooms booked there for April 12, but can cancel if it is bad. I have not seen it mentioned or recommended. Supposed to be a 4* but I am a little nervous.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 11:02 AM

There are dozens of reviews on TripAdvisor.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 11:37 AM

We stayed there just after it opened. Like many boutique type hotels there were a number of things I didn't like. The room was small, but the bath had nowhere at all to sit anything. Just a pedestal sink. The closet wasn't big enough to hang anything in and was already filled with the ironing board. The TV was in a cabinet facing the bed and couldn't be seen from the only comfortable chair in the room. The Roman shades to lower for the window blocked off the heat or AC which was behind them. And my favorite -- the big picture (a collage) was screwed to the wall -- upside down!
But it's a nice place generally. The staff is very trendy, but polite, and they wear really cool "uniforms".
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 01:33 PM

It's considered a good hotel but as with everything, a lot depends on price/value relationship. Last year poster emd stayed at the Muse with a special discount from travelzoo.com for about $200/night. She liked it a lot, but I'm not sure how much price played a factor. For $369/night which is what I currently see on their website, I'd think you could do better.

On quikbook.com I see the Intercontintal Barclay and the Omni Berkshire for less and I think they'd be better despite not being in Times Square.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:38 AM

I stayed there a couple of years ago and must have ahd a different room than NeoPatrick! I have a rather large bathroom with a big marble sink area, and a decent sized room with a King bed. And I booked through a consolidation site.

There was a noise issue, but I asked for a humidifier (it was January and VERY dry as well) and the white noise drowned out the garbage collection noise.

Location was great--close to, but not in Times Square.

My girlfriend who lives in NYC commented on the large room and King bed, FWIW.

Racy
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:55 AM

Yes, we also had a king bed and it was a very nice one. I just don't like having to lie on the bed to watch TV.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for telling me that. I have been planning how to deal with the tiny bathroom. I called the hotel and asked for a high floor and large room. I have learned the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I explained that I had been told about the differences in the rooms at The Muse. At first, he said "Doesn't everyone want the large room and high floor?" I told him probably but not everyone asked. He laughed and said he set me up. I can only hope...
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:34 PM

here are two recent threads on here that I remember from a week or so ago when people talk about their stay at the Muse - maybe they will help you decide, but it sounded fine from these.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34965858

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34961418
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you escargot, I read both...good information. I definitely cannot find anything close to the 199.00 deal I got so I have to give it a shot. Am now trying to figure out how to eat wonderfully without breaking the bank.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 05:32 PM

I stay at the Muse whenever I decide to stay in the city and do three shows in two days ...I have always had a large, beautiful bathroom. Join Kimpton's in touch program to earn points toward free nights at Kimpton Hotels and to register your preferences.
Also don't forget the free wine every evening.
http://www.kimptonhotels.com/
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 05:39 PM

Here is a good source for inexpensive eating...
http://nymag.com/urban/guides/nyonthecheap/
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:00 PM

for excellent eats without breaking the bank
look at the restaurants on www.nycrg.com

also, look at this site
tourdefrancenyc.com

I think you could walk to Maison.
they are open 24 hrs - have menus for breakfast, lunch, dinner and late night and the food is good, especially the beignets for breakfast !

I think it is a Cosi (?) right behind where Mama Mia is playing, and I love their signature salad and a few other things and I sometimes find myself running in there for something quick but good.

You will find lots of places, do a search here to for nyc restaurants, inexpensive, budget, etc and you will see lots of threads.

have fun !
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you guys for all the links and information. I have read guide books, etc... Definintely, my best information is coming from you guys. I am glad to find breakfast close that is not 20.00 pp. I hate to keep bugging you, but what do think about the ESB vs. Top of the Rock? One at night, one morning? One or both?
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:35 PM

If you do a search on this board, you'll read lots of info regarding the differences. Best thing about TOR - no lines and you get a view of the ESB too!

Are you from GA?
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:00 PM

Well TOR or ESB likely comes down to personal preference and whether you feel compelled to say you were at ESB.... or it has some sentimental reason/movies/etc...

I would choose TOR and prior to sunset - I wouldn't want to take the time to do both
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:01 PM

also
if you type
Top of the Rock
into the search this forum block on top of the page, all the threads about that will show up on the left, same for Empire State Biulding, etc and you can read what others have said when either was discussed.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

I do kind of have that thing like everyone will ask if I have been to ESB but keep reading that TOR is better. I really want to go to TOR so I don't know. I am fixin' to (yes from Georgia)look up the threads. I have so many questions I am addicted to this!
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:49 PM

Great birthday!