Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

the most suitable clothes to visit the Everglades

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:48 AM
martine

We are a Belgian family and we intend to visit the Everglades in july. We would like to know what is the most suitable way of clothing to visit the park. Do we have to wear long trousers and closed shoes (agains snakes perhaps)? We don't know at all. it is the first time we go to America and we are really looking forward to it.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 05:02 AM
Suzy

As you probably know, the Everglades is a very wet place, a "River of Grass." Generally, visitors are on boardwalks, boats, or levees.

It's very unlikely that you will see any snakes, but closed shoes are a good idea, because of rough ground, vegetation, etc. Be sure to wear a wide-brimmed hat and plenty of sunscreen. Bring insect repellent, too, though you might not need it during the day.

Long trousers will be too hot, unless they are made of very lightweight fabric.

Here's a web site from the Everglades park, there's a link to a "chat page" that might be able to give you more specifics.

http://www.everglades.national-park.com/how.htm

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 05:02 AM
gail

Insect/mosquito protection as well as some protection from the sun is the most important. (Sunblock with SPF at least 30-45 plus bug repellant) It will be very hot and humid. Make sure you drink lots of water. Beyond that, clothing depends on what type of Everglades exploring you will be doing. Many people just take a boat tour or walk on an established path for a short while - in that case, regular summer clothes with comfortable shoes will do it. For more extensive hiking, I am not as sure - but someone here will be sure to answer. I have been to the Everglades several times and seen lots of birds, bugs, a few alligators, but never any snakes (I know they are there, though).

Have a great trip to our country - I hope you are getting to see some other sights on your Everglades trip.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 08:23 AM
travellyn

I agree with the closed-toe shoe recommendation because of brush, etc. rather than snakes. However, my husband and I did come across a pygmy rattlesnake there. It wasn't on the trail, just off to the side.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 11:07 PM
gator

remember two things about the glades in summertime--
hot, hot, hot!!
bugs, bugs, bugs!!!

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 04:34 AM
J T Kirk

Unfortunately (that is if you were hopeful of spotting lots of animals), about the only animals that are out in the heat of the day are bugs. And birds. The alligators are usually "cooling" off at the bottom of the ponds/streams/gulleys. An occasional snake may be out sunning themselves, but chances are good you won't see many in the heat of the afternoon.
I'd wear very, very lightweight clothing. Because what's even worse than the heat is the humidity. You will sweat up a storm. Go take plenty of water.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Jim

The Captain's right. Try to get there early, as soon as they open.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 06:34 AM
martine

All right Jim. We will. Or, maybe we'd better go to gatorland to see an alligator...

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Jim

When we went to the visitor center at Loxahatchee park ( a northern fragment of the Everglades, in Palm Beach County), they had a pond there that was occupied by a huge mama gator. We saw her lounging there in mid-afternoon in April, and spotted plenty of other gators from around the walkways. Not sure where they'll be on a hot summer day, though.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 07:15 AM
martine

To Jim: Palm Beach?Is that the Anhinga Trail? We wanted to take the Tamiami trail to visit the Everglades, so we could also visit the Miccosukee Indian Village. What is the best?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Jim

Stick with the Tamiami. We were visiting relatives who live much farther north, in Palm Beach County, and went to Loxahatchee because it was close.

If we had the choice, we would have gone to the main Everglades National Park, as you plan to! We were considering the Shark Valley Trails area of the park.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Tom

Martine,
The Anhinga Trail is near the southern entrance to Everglades National Park (south of Homestead). It has a neat visitor center with a nice boardwalk. The road goes all the way to Flamingo at the southern tip of mainland Florida, with a few nature trails and birdwatching areas along the way. You can also take tour boat rides from Flamingo.

I second the posters who say it'll be pretty hot, and to bring sunscreen and bug spray.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:07 PM
ab

You've gotten the message pretty clear that it will be hot, sunny and buggy...light weight and light color clothes - white!!! light color hat. You may get your shoes wet so have sandals in the car as back up. Depending on what you're doing you'll either wear good closed shoes for walking or sandals if you're going to be wet.

NOt so sure the shoes will protect you from the alligators and if you encounter snakes...

there are lots of mosquitoes, dragon flies, no-seee-ums (sp?) and sun.

sunscreen everywhere, even if you don't think it will be direct sunlight.

The Europeon and northern tourist always have red backs of knees, underarms, etc... the light reflects and the sun seems to come from all angles down here.

YOu'll probably encounter some brief rain during the day

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 05:47 AM
martine

Dear Ab,now it is enough. You did affray us so much... I think we'll not go to to the Everglades anymore. Maybe it is a better idea to visit the" not tourist place" St Augustine, like you adviced.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Suzy

Ab, what have you done! You've scared martine away from the Everglades, one of the wonders of the natural world!

Martine, please reconsider your decision. The Everglades is an amazing place. Just be prepared with hats, water, sun screen, and bug repellant and you'll have a great experience. Even in St. Augustine you'll find heat and you'll need the hats, water, and sunscreen.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 06:29 AM
martine

Ok Suzy, I visited the site you adviced me a few days ago and it says there is 25 °Celcius now (77° F.)That is not more than in our country for the moment.It can't be so bad as Ab says.