Search

Back Home from NYC!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Becky

Back Home from NYC!

My family and I returned from NY today. Thanks for all the good driving directions to our Hotel. We drove from Ohio-ny, hit the city about 5pm,took the GWBridge and found the hotel without any problems.We were able to walk through Central Park early evening.People were walking with friends,families playing together,couples lounging on the grass.We did the greyline tour bus Tuesday, and went to the Empire state building.WE saw the excellent 42nd street that night. What a GREAT broadway show.Times Square was full of people.The subway system was excellent way for transportation! The subway was clean,and we felt safe traveling,even at 11pm. My daughter and I did the NBC tour,shopping by Macy's.My husband,son did the Intrepid sea museum,which they found interesting.I read several books about NYC, thinking we would be able to do so much more, and realized there wasnt enough time. My legs ached from so much walking! Next time I want to have better plans of where exactly we want to go.The greyline tour was good,but I felt it cut into our sightseeing time.My husband liked to hear the commentaries of the tour guide. Everyone was so friendly,willing to help.Tourists do stick out like sore thumbs,but so what! New York is a great place and hopefully we'll be back.I think I'd like to fly and save time rather than driving.But boy would my arms be tired!
Thanks to everyone who helped me figure our way to New York. I read the post about the ny t-shirts, and I went to the wrong place.I went to shops and paid 11.99 for one shirt!Thanks again! BEcky

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 05:25 PM
Spider

Just curious - where did you park once you got to NYC?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 05:31 PM
cindy

becky, i'm so glad you had a great time. new york city is a wonderful experience. we, like you, were so sore when we returned. i'm not kidding when i say i was hobbling through raleigh/durham airport on my return. when we return in december, we will walk for weeks in preparation. i love new york. i'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Tina

Hi Becky
It makes me feel good to know that you had a nice time in NYC. It's nice to hear positive things. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 06:48 PM
rqf

Happy to hear you enjoyed your visit. What was your impression of the hotel?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 07:41 PM
nygirl

So good to hear a happy NY story
Where did you eat? How was the hotel? What did you buy besides tee shirts?
When are you coming back

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Becky

We stayed at the Hotel BEacon,which was clean,nice area.Markets close by.We had 2 double beds that were comfortable.The kitchenette had electic burners,microwave,apt. size refrige.dishes for cooking.That was a plus to me,because it cut cost's downs somewhat.I didnt cook,because I was on vacation too! But it allowed us to buy food and store it in the refrige.My daughter would've prefered staying around midtown next time,just to be closer and avoid subway time.I liked being away from the hub bub of all the city activity.We parked at the Beacon garage,block over from the hotel.Price wasnt bad,i think my husband said it was $80.(Mon night to Thursday morning.) We didnt eat at any expensive restaraunts and overall the cost of things wasnt too bad.The Fairway market price for food was reasonable.We ate in a small chinatown restaraunt,prices similar to home. Overall a great experience!
The only downside to our room was the view.We looked out our window to a building next to us. No view of central park or even Broadway!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 06:31 AM
a

You might consider yourself lucky about not having a room overlooking Broadway - you are constantly subjected to traffic and other street noise. I don't think there is a room at the Beacon that has a park view. Tell your daughter that actual subway time 72nd to 42nd St, once on the train, is less than 3 minutes on the express, less than five minutes on the local.