Search

The Library Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 03:15 PM
luciano

The Library Hotel

I recently saw a posting on this site regarding a construction site going on across the street from the Library Hotel (41st and Madison). This is of concern to me since I'm supposed to spend four nights there next month. The hotel claims that the rooms are soundproff and no construction goes on at night. Nonetheless, I am a little apprehensive.

Specifically, I'm wondering what type of construction is going on (i.e. is it at ground level, etc.).

Any input from someone who may have recently stayed there or is frequently in the area would be helpful.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 03:20 PM
J

Haven't been across the street recently, so I can't tell you what kind of construction is going on. I can tell you that you'll be hard-pressed to find any hotel in Manhattan where it's perfectly quiet, short of having a room on an insanely high floor. My garbage is picked up at 1 am Friday nights. When I hear it, it just makes me laugh. There will be noise, and you'll either get used it or you won't. Barring some gigantic 24-hour a day construction project, you'll probably be fine. The Library is a fun, interesting hotel. Enjoy!

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Howard

A new office building is going up on the west side of Madison Avenue, covering the full block between 41st and 42nd Streets.
Unless you plan to spend a lot of time in your room during the day, I wouldn't be too concerned about it affecting your stay. Following up what the previous poster said, it wouldn't be New York without steady noise and activity.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Flynn

There have been recent accidents with the construction crew at this site. Check out the archives at NY1.com. It's also a very busy area during the day and is quieter at night. There are laws regarding when construction can start and finish.

If you can get the hotel to assure you that you'll be in a back room not facing Madison Avenue, that might work.

Agreed that New York (city that never sleeps) is noisy but why add to it by being near a construction site?

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:23 AM
luciano

Thanks to all for your input.