Staying outside of New York City

Old Nov 30th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staying outside of New York City

I am planning a trip to NYC in December 2009. Is it worth the hassle to stay just outside of the city in New Jersey? Also, if it is, can you recommend a hotel in New Jersey? If we stay outside of the city, how do we travel into the city? Bus? Train?

Thanks!
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 02:27 PM

It may be "worth the hassle" to you....it would never be worth it to me.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 02:54 PM

I'm with sf7307 and just about everyone else on this board...it wouldn't be worth it to me. That said, NYC hotel rooms in Dec are very expensive. So I think the first thing is to find out your budget. Next of all, how long is your trip? If you are only going to be there for a long weekend, you don't want to spend all your time traveling back and forth between New Jersey. How many people in your party? If it's one or two of you, you could try Priceline but don't know how successful you'll be.

If your trip is right around Christmas, you'll get a better room rate. So we need more info to help you.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 03:28 PM

I wouldn't do it--I like to walk to restaurants and theater.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 03:55 PM

>>

Not to mention, being able to return to your hotel during the day - to shower and change, for ex., before dinner or theatre.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 04:28 PM

If I'm going to New York, I'm STAYING in New York - that's part of the fun! Check out www.travelzoo.com for some great discounts on hotels.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 04:49 PM

There ARE some good deals on travelzoo. Besides just enjoying being in the city and the convenience of having a room close by, keep in mind that train tickets in and out of the city each day can offset any room savings. With the deals on travelzoo, there is no way I'd stay in New Jersey.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 05:00 PM

The "hassle" varies tremendously depending on where you stay. In December you do NOT want to be traveling by bus: 1) there is a huge amount of extra holiday traffic and 2) bad weather can cause delays that last hours.

If you stay in Jersey you want to stay in one of the hotels which is right on top of a PATH station - then you can be in the city in 20 minutes (except for late night/early am). Unfortunately, those hotels tend to be not much cheaper than those in Manhattan. (Any hotel in Jersey that is incredibly cheap is likely to be at the end of hell and gone - or - rent by the hour.)

That said, I wold never stay in Jersey - I would cut down on something else - do simpler meals perhaps - and find the best deal I could in Manhattan.

If you tell us how many of you there are, what your budget is and your dates, people may be able to make recos.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 05:06 PM

Depends on how many people. If there are two of you, you can save by staying outside NYC, but I would never choose that option. It's fine to stay in Queens or Brooklyn (as long as you are near a subway stop), but I'd never ever in a million years stay in NJ.

If there are more than 2 of you, the extra cost for transportation (which can be as much as $10 per person each way, depending on how you travel) can overcome any savings. SO it really depends on the cost of the hotel room. You may travel by bus, train, or ferry. Ferries are always the most expensive way to travel into Manahttan, followed by trains, then buses. And once you are in Manhattan, you also have to pay for the subway, bus or taxi in the city. All these costs add up quickly, and the inconvenience also weighs you down.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 12:49 AM

Nope. I wouldn't recommend it!
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 05:47 AM

I also suggest checking travelzoo.com. I saw some deals; think most started Dec. 13. Stay in NYC. Try the other sites as well -- kayak, etc. It's a wonderful time to be in NYC.

If all else fails, try the boroughs. There is a hotel that recently opened on Union Street in Park Slope Brooklyn (R train Union Street and 4th Avenue); think it's the Holiday Inn (never stayed there). The train ride to Mahhattan is short -- maybe 15 minutes to downtown Manhattan.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 08:20 AM

I used to be one of those who recommended staying in the city and NOT staying in New Jersey, but hotel rates for Manhattan have skyrocketed and I've gotten some amazing deals in Jersey City with Priceline and Hotwire.

We've stayed many times at the Hyatt Regency and brand new Westin for under $100/night. Tranportation (via NJPath and then subway) was very convenient and inexpensive. For sure, it's more convenient to be only a few blocks from the theater if you're seeing a show, and it was 45 minutes from our room to the theater district, but for the huge difference in rates, we didn't mind a bit. Both hotels had a variety of dining/bars/shopping for incidentals, etc., within and nearby.

We didn't expect to be so pleasantly relieved to get out of the city each evening - away from the noise, crowds, and trash. The views of the skyline from Jersey City are fabulous, so we loved being able to stroll at night or early in the morning in the quiet.

If you're going to stay in New Jersey, it is definitely best to be within a short walk of a Path station, especially in winter.

We drive to NYC, and we've also been pleased and very comfortable at the Holiday Inn GW Bridge in Fort Lee, a 20 minute drive from Midtown.

Again, I used to urge visitors to sleep in the city. But, not only have rates doubled/tripled, the city is just not as nice all over as it was some years ago.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 08:37 AM

Fort Lee is a 20 minute drive from midtown at off hours. If there is traffic or an accident 20 minutes from Fort Lee is still in the middle of the George Washington Bridge.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 10:10 AM

We've never had much of a problem driving from/to Fort Lee. One trip, there was a major slowdown on our way there as we approached the bridge, but it actually took only 12 minutes to get onto the bridge (it always seems much longer). And, leaving Midtown late one afternoon, we were going to wait until after rush hour to leave, but we weren't hungry and didn't really have anything else we wanted to do, so headed out anyway - no problems! This last trip, there was construction on the bridge, but even that was not really a problem.

In the overall, we've been continually surprised at how quick and convenient a drive it's been.

And, it's a very nice hotel...all rooms have microwave and fridge. The breakfast buffet is outstanding ($9.95), food in the dining room is excellent (with many choices around $10.95), prices in bar are inexpensive.

We've found staying in New Jersey a nice mix of visiting/activities in the city with economical lodging/dining.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your replies.

Yukon_XL
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 07:15 PM

What did you decide to do?
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 05:04 AM

I too will always pick Manhattan over anywhere else when I travel there. BUT, I have gotten some excellent prepaid rates at the Newark Hilton- in the $100 range. This hotel is across the street from the PATH station.

Rates have skyrocketed, and no end in sight. So, my last several trips have had me in the Big Apple Hostel, which I'm off to tomorrow. Just an excellent location and find for me. I rent a whole room for about $180/night.