The buckingham hotel / yes or no

Oct 16th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

The buckingham hotel / yes or no

I am completely confused about this hotel. I was booked at the Flathotel and then read a lot of negitive reviews on trip advisor about the hotel. So I did a big search and found The Buckingham hotel, the reviews sounded great, but now the latest reviews about this place are sounding very negetive. What is the real deal here? Has anyone out there stayed at either of these hotels recently and can give me an honest review. I would really like 2 seperate sleeping areas and both of these hotels fit that bill. I like the location of both also. But I will change my reservation again if necessary, I would be paying quite a lot for either hotels the weekend we are going (Dec 14-17)so I want to get the best room I can. Please help!
Oct 16th, 2007, 02:30 PM
GoTravel

What city?

As for reviews, check trip advisor for reviews of some of your favorite hotels. You'll be surprised at the number of bad ones.

Oct 16th, 2007, 04:03 PM

Every hotel - no matter how great has a couple of bad reviews. Either some staff member has a bad day, or something breaks (it can happen anywhere) or you get people with unrealistic expectations. Some people complain about street noise in NYC hotels (of course there's street noise - you're in the middle of 20 million people) or "tired" drapes in a 2* hotel.

I wouldn't let one or two negative reviews change your mind - unless they talk about new circumstances (renovation or bug infestation).

However, both of the hotels you've picked, although they have large rooms, seem to be old and/or tired - with everything that means in NYC (noisy AC since it was retrofitted, older furniture and not very high tech).

But - in December this is what you get in a budget hotel with large rooms. Not sure how much you're paying - but the affinia group has availability of one bedroom suites (which will sleep up to 6 usually - including a sofabed in the living room starting at only about $400 per night.)

I would start looking at some of their options versus those you've picked out.
Oct 16th, 2007, 06:43 PM

I have stayed at the Buckingham twice. Both times in a one bedroom suite with kitchenette. As a previous poster stated it is a little old but for spaciousness, it can't be beat. The bathroom was tiny, but adequate. Having the kitchen was a big plus. Yes, the traffic is loud but it is on the corner of 57th and 7th. That's part of being in NYC. There was not a doorman or bellman when I was there and if you drive there they have reasonable parking rates negotiated with a garage just a block away.

As for the Flatotel, I was booked there once during a trade show at the Javits and checked out immediately. This was about 5 years ago. It was very dark in the hallways and the staff at that time just felt creepy and I didn't feel comfortable staying.
Oct 17th, 2007, 08:28 AM

There are some rooms at the Buckingham that are renovated and some are not. It will make a very big difference. Neither of these hotels are what I would chose and they're very different from each other in style, location and accomodation, so I'm guessing the only thing they have in common is price.

If there are 2 of you and you want to be in midtown west, the City Club has an avg. rate of $335/night for a "queen luxe" on quikbook.com and is the nicest thing I see for that price or less. Nice reviews
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

If your prices for the other 2 are less, or if you're coming with kids and need a larger room, look at the Affinia hotels. Check prices on www.affinia.com and also on quikbook. If that doesn't work, I'd go for the Flatotel over the Buckingham.
Oct 23rd, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for replies. I value the opinions on this site so much. I have changed my reservations to a safe Marriott using some of my points. This is a safe alternative for a busy December weekend in the city and I know what I will be getting. Again thanks to those of you who replied.
Oct 23rd, 2007, 07:41 PM

I was concerned with the Changing Of The Sheets.