Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

The 5 night essential LA, what would you recommend?

Notices

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Family of 5, 3 teens 13, 13, and 15, we are indulgent parents and are happy to indulge them ( for this part of the trip anyway !). So what do you recommend as the best experience.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

no one ?
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 04:47 PM

My first suggestion is to get a good guidebook or AAA tourbook and have the kids go through it and mark what looks interesting to them. I assure you they will be happier doing whatever they have chosen than doing whatever a bunch of other people have told them to do.

But I'd certainly include the following:
Universal Studios and Citywalk
Hollywood Blvd./Grauman's/Walk of Fame
Farmer's Market and The Grove
A concert (and picnic?) at the Hollywood Bowl
Santa Monica and the Pier
Bicycle on the beach from Santa Monica to Venice.
Beverly Hills for "window" shopping

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 07:50 PM

Get the visitors guide and let them paw through it....we'd need to know a little more about what you have in mind before posting (again) a long list of ideas. For instance, if you're from a small town area with no zoo, I'd recommend the L.A. Zoo.

If you type "Hollywood" or "Los Angeles" into the forum search above, you'll get some ideas.

Do you already have a place to stay or are you looking for ideas as to best area to base yourselves as well?
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 08:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If they like horseback riding, a fun place is to head up Beachwood Canyon to the Hollywood stables, and ride horses past the Hollywood sign.

I'd also take them to (perhaps their first?) concert at House of Blues, Key Club, or Universal Amphitheatre; even the Greek, although the concerts are more for the oldie but . . . (parent stuff). If you're in town when the L.A. County Fair is going on, that's good fun, and they have good concerts there as well (we went to see the Doors of the 21st Century last year -- 15 year olds are into Rock Classics big time, at least in L.A.). Another option (more L.A. yuppie-esque) is taking them to the Disney Concert Hall, which has great one hour Sunday philharmonic concerts for the kids -- not at all high brow.

Also, Olvera Street is good, with a stop in the City Hall -- beautifully restored, and you can go up to the top for a great bird's eye view of the City.

A Dodger game is also great for anyone, any age.

In Santa Monica, aside from the beach, it is fun for kids to stroll along the 3rd street promenade with the stop at Yankee Doodles for teen food and a game of pool.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

We are looking for a base (or two ). Can anyone tell me if the following sounds right: 1 full day at Disneyland,
1 full day Universal studios, 1 full day Hollywood Bvld/graumans and a full day shopping ( my wife wrote the last one!!)
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 06:31 AM

Patrick's list sounds good, but I would leave out the Hollywood Bowl. They mostly have jazz or classical music going on there and I think your kids would be bored to death. Hollywood and Beverly Hills are always good choices. If they're in to shopping, Downtown has some amazing places to shop.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 07:00 AM

You can combine shopping/Hollywood/Chinese and a driving tour of Beverly Hills all into one day. If you get an early start, you could even get in Universal Tour on the same day. 4-5 hours is good for Universal, and they are open late in summer. You can hop the subway there and back from Grauman's.

RenaissanceHollywood hotel would probably be a good base for you.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 07:42 AM

Recos so far are good. I don't think Hollywood Bowl is too old-fogie-- it's classy and unique, even given the music leaning to jazz/pop and classical.

Although the Renaissance Hollywood is a fine hotel, for an "indulgent" trip I would lean to staying on the coast. Maybe three nights in Santa Monica, two nights in Huntington Beach or Laguna Beach. If you do Laguna, try to take in an evening at the arts festival-- and, if you can swing good tickets (I gave up, but some may open up), go check out the Pageant of the Masters. Themed tableaux vivants-- sounds hokey but the whole experience (original music, evocative lighting, live human recreations of static artworks) is uncanny and thrilling.

The bike ride on the coast can be extended into a whole day of southern California beach life. Ride from Santa Monica Pier all the way down to Redondo Beach Pier. Take in the madness of Venice Beach, the mellow and laid-back Hermosa Beach lifestyle, and get some exercise to boot. The kids may start nagging you to look for a house here!
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 08:00 AM

You want to spend one full day in Hollywood Blvd?! it only takes about 10 mins max to see everything there is to see there!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help so far, the itinerary is a growing organic thing !!
We will be there in January does that change anyones perspective !
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:58 AM

Er, yeah, that's our "winter". Cooler, more chances of rain, the beach can be a slightly less pleasant place (although Mother Nature can tease you with a string of hot, sunny, gorgeous days-- then slam you with torrential downpours). No fun arts festival in Laguna. No Hollywood Bowl.

Why in January, may I ask...?!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

In Australia that is the long school holiday period. We are also combining it with a week skiing with friends in Canada. We live in a country with some of the best beaches in the world so the beachside stuff is not such a high priority, its a bit the same with Zoo's we have our sea world farily close and also Steve Irwins Zoo not too far away. We want to see and do the things we can't here ! Any snippet of advice is welcome, I build a holiday from the ground up !
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 03:51 PM

If they are excited about Disneyland, I would go for a two-day pass, and add California Adventure. For an indulgent stay the Disney Grand Californian is the hotel to go with.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 03:55 PM

If shopping is on the agenda, I would add a trip via the Cabazon outlets to the Palm Springs area, about 2 hrs from downtown LA. Activities in the desert include jeep rides, eco tours, balloon rides, the tram. Many high-end hotel choices are available.