OBX Photographer Recommendation

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBX Photographer Recommendation

Some friends from CA are renting our beach cottage in Corolla in May, and want to have a family portrait taken on the beach. Can anyone recommend a good photographer or studio, and give us an idea of rates to expect? Thank you.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 01:00 AM

I cannot remember the name of the place but it is in Corolla at a large complex of shops across from the Food Lion - it specializes in the old photos where you dress up. Each year a group of my women friends and I rent in Corolla for a long weekend. One year we all trooped into this place and dressed up like old west prostitutes. The eldest of our group - we range in age from 30 to over 70 - was dressed up like the madam - we all had hats and feather boas, bottles of booze, fake guns and fake bags of money. All of us got a copy of the picture and it was a hoot. If you haven't been to Corolla you are in for a good time - the weather in May is usually great - out of all the years we have been going (10 at least) only one year did we have really bad weather. The beaches are uncrowded. If you can get a four wheel drive, you should go off road. At the end of the road to Corolla is where everyone goes four wheeling. We generally pack up food, drinks, beach umbrellas, books, cameras, etc. and head out for the day. It is fabulous. If you are lucky you can find sand dollars and other beautiful shells. One year I found a baby seahorse floundering in the surf and took him out to the deeper water - but beware - the water is pretty chilly at this time of year.

Hope you have a great time.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Love the idea, but our friends want a more serious family photo on the beach. Anyone got recommendations? Thanks.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 02:29 PM

No, I am sorry - you will have to forgive me, As you can see from my post I was up rather early - actually since about 3:30 a.m. so I probably wasn't thinking clearly - but you still might go by there because they may be able to just take a photo of all of you anyway of course it won't be on the beach. Good luck.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 11:25 PM

Drive an hour south and go to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, the famous lighthouse that has been there for over a 100 years. Or go a little further south and take the ferry over to Ocracoke and have a picture taken on Silver Lake, the Ocracode harbour at sunset. Either that or somewhere on any of the 13 miles of Ocracoke Beach. Or between the Nags Head and Ocracoke ferry which is a national seashore. Or near Ocracoke, go the Wight Brothers Memorial where the first flight took place.
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Huh? We're looking for a photographer here, not a day trip.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Sorry thought you were looking for a location. Doubt you will get many replies as this is a travel website and not "services search" site. HUH !!
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

I would consider my original post a reasonable request--this is a vacation activity; this website welcomes more requests and answers other than just hotels and destinations. thanks.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 09:49 AM

I live in NC and would recommend doing a search on wedding services in the Outer Banks area. I bet the photographers listed would love a non-wedding client on their day off.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Pilgrim. I was hoping that someone would have a beach photographer to recommend, but you have a good idea regardless. I'll check them out.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 04:40 AM

Actually many weddings do take place on the coast. Some which I've attended had the most lovely shots in Hollywood perfect spots.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 12:21 PM

You may be able to find this site of some use:
http://www.outerbanks-obx.com/links/cat00078.htm
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Moondoggie, go to the Professional Photographers of America website. They have a free referral service where they will provide you with names of photographers in your area. These are professional photographers that know what they're doing and must abide by the PPA code of ethics. You should be able to find one that specializes in family portraits, weddings, children, food, etc. Here's the link:

http://www.ppa.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=121
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 03:44 PM

You can contact the Outer Banks Chamber of Commerce (look on the web) and get a list of photographers in the area. You might be able to get some recommedations too. You can also get the Insider's Guide to the Outer Banks for more information (also on the web).
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 03:57 PM

You can contact the Outer Banks Chamber of Commerce (look on the web) and get a list of photographers in the area. You might be able to get some recommendations too. You can also get the Insider's Guide to the Outer Banks for more information (also on the web).