Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Going to Los Angeles for a week...what activities are not to be missed?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for things to do in Los Angeles area late April or early May. I'm a big sports fan (but not any CA teams), I enjoy historical points of interest, and I would also like to know some great clubs in the area that aren't too pricy. Any response would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 01:52 PM

This is a challenge! The LA metropolitan area is so huge, it's hard to narrow a list down to a manageable few. However, you can select from the following:

-- Spectacular views of the LA basin from the Getty Center

-- Shopping among the tourists and a few well-heeled locals on Rodeo Drive

-- Hit the Walk of Fame and see how they're desperately trying to revitalize Hollywood

-- Check out the wild new Hollywood Highland complex

-- Walk along Venice Beach on a sunny Saturday, late morning/early afternoon, and watch the Cavalcade of Weird and Wacky Folk

-- Hit the Sunset Strip on a weekend night for drinks and live music

-- An hour or two on the Santa Monica Pier, then a stroll down the Third Street Promenade

-- Disneyland in Anaheim, Universal Studios in Universal City, Magic Mountain in Valencia, Knott's Berry Farms in Buena Park (if you have smaller kids)-- pick one, they're spread out

-- Check out the Stars' Homes in Beverly Hills before they're all torn down and replaced by faux-Tuscan mansions that look like wedding cakes

-- Grab a wetsuit and board and go surfing either in Malibu or Huntington Beach (way down in Orange County)

-- Take the Gravelines Tour-- ride in a real hearse and check out all the places that the Rich and Famous have checked out

-- For a more civil slice of history, a road trip to the Queen Mary in Long Beach, then a jaunt to the nearby Aquarium of the Pacific

-- LA's colonial history is seen on Calle Olvera (near downtown); some historic missions can still be found (the Misión San Fernando is in the Valley, the Misión San Juan Capistrano an hour south of LA)

For nightlife, you can check out the L.A. Weekly's website (www.laweekly.com). Follow the Calendar link at the top and scroll down to the Club listings. Clubs are much cheaper than in NY or Miami-- cover charges are usually quite low.

It boils down to: What area will you be staying in? As I noted above, the LA Metro area is massive-- larger than many states. Luckily, you should find something fun wherever you stay.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 02:04 PM

History in LA is a tough call. Things untrendy, such as historical things, tend to get bulldozed... but I have a few suggestions.

The most obvious is Olvera Street, a small two or three block park located across the street from Union Station in Downtown LA. It's supposedly the oldest street in the city, site of the original Spanish settlement from which the city got its name. It's a bit chintzy in my opinion, and there isn't a whole LOT to SEE in terms of STUFF. So, go on a weekend, when they usually have musicians and vendors which make it an enjoyable historical experience which is really what Olvera Street is all about. As you say you will be here in early May, I would specifically suggest going on the 4th or 5th as Olvera Street is Cinco de Mayo ground zero and should be an awesome place to be.

Another suggestion is the La Brea Tar Pits. As a kid, I was enthralled with the place... until my second visit as a young adult and thought it an overglorified hole in the ground. Just a few years back, I went back for a third time and saw the big new museum and visitor center they have built at the site and was very impressed. If you don't know about this site, it is a collection of naturally occurring tar pits in which many ancient species got trapped. As a result, they are treasure troves of archeaological information through the ages and the visitors center really lays it all out very interestingly. A healthy walk away from here is the LA County Museum of Art, if you are interested in such.

Beyond these two structures, I think the next oldest is Dodger Stadium? Of course I am kidding, but if you knew LA you'd know that a lot of Angelinos would probably fall for that line! There's just not a lot of history here. There might be some interesting sites w.r.t. the studios worth doing some webbing on, but nothing I can think of right now.

As for clubs, you might need to have one of the younger set fill you in as if I start naming the clubs I know of or have gone to, I'll be embarrassingly dating myself! For the most part, there are several in the Santa Monica area, my fav is Harvelles because they have good blues. It's not pricey, but not very glamourous either, but the music is predictably excellent. Third Street is lined with a variety of clubs, you won't go wrong here.

The other club hot spots are along the east-west axes of Sunset and Santa Monica boulevards between Santa Monica and downtown LA... and in Hollywood proper, although I've generally found the Hollywood clubs to be a bit younger, and more punkish but just my opinion. Happy travels.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 04:47 PM

A big sports fan ought not miss an opportunity to see a baseball game at Dodger stadium.

As for horse racing, Santa Anita has closing day on Sunday, April 20, with the
San Juan Capistrano Invitational Handicap (Grade 1) at 1 3/4 miles on the turf. It is one of the best horse races in the U.S. (at, IMO, the best race track in the U.S.). see santaanita.com
Location is Arcadia.

After that, probably Apr 23, Hollywood Park will open for racing. It is in Inglewood, not far from LAX, and next door to the Forum. See racing followed by a game at the Forum. Kentucky Derby, the first Saturday in May, is the 3rd so they will probably have the live program start early followed the Churchill Downs program on simulcast. see hollywoodpark.com
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:33 PM

The Will Rogers Western Heritage Museum is a gem. Right next to the beautiful LA Zoo.

La Brea Tar Pits & the Page Museum.

The Petersen Automotive Museum.

The Museum of Science & Industry has interesting exhibits, right next door to the Imax theatre and the LA Colliseum.

dont miss the Getty. www.getty.edu
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 08:16 PM

I went a couple of years ago and had a lot of fun. First of all get a car!!! I was too young to rent a car (I was 20) and went by myself and didn't see very much becuase of the horrific public transportation. L.a is just sooooo spread out. But I still had lots of fun. I went to Universal Studios which is a lot fun especially if there aren't any kids in tow. If there are take them to Disneyland. But L.a also has Knots Berry Farm and Six Flags. I went to see a tv show taping. I saw Titus it's off the air now but I still had so much fun. It's a great and cheap way to get a glimpse of Hollywood. Tickets are free and even if you've missed the season finales for your favorite sitcom you can still go to a game show. Also taking a tour looking at the star's homes is fun and a glamoourous way to see L.A. I regret not going to the Museum of television and radio though. I was going to go on my last day and they were closed on Tuesdays.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 02:43 PM

joesource has his celebrity cowboys confused. It's the Gene Autry Museum of Western Heritage.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 09:24 AM

If you love shopping, I would not miss Melrose. They have things there that you can't get anywhere else.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 09:35 AM

I second the Melrose shopping trip, especially for pop culture stuff and the wind-up toy store Wound and Wound. And the calvalcade of Wild 'n' Weird people is eye-popping! If you wanted to see Goths and mohawk-wearing punks all in one place, this is it! Beware: These little slackers will casually beg for spare change, but just smile and say "No, sorry", and they will usually say "OK, have a good day in any case."

Lots of head shops and shoe stores selling Doc Martens and the like. Trendy clothes shops, too. Lots of fun!
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:46 PM

Definitely the Getty museum. Even if you are not a big fan of art museums, the building and views and entire experience are spectacular. A must see.

If you enjoy historical sites, Pasadena has something to offer with the Huntington Library and Gardens and the Gamble house. And some lively nightlife now in the Old Town district which is full of pedestrians, a rare sight in Los Angeles.

If you enjoy sports, attending a Dodger game would be fun. The stadium is between downtown and Pasadena. You might also enjoy watching horse racing at Santa Anita. The weather for both should be very pleasant in late April and early May.

I enjoy the Natural History Museum a lot and go several times a year. It's located near downtown near the Coliseum, one of the main venues where the 1984 Olympics took place.

A place somewhat off the usual tourist route (though it attracts a goodly number of visitors from all over the globe) is Descanso Gardens in La Canada. It's a gorgeous place to walk around and there's always masses of flowers in bloom.

LA is a big place so you will need to make some choices depending on your interests and geography.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 01:56 PM

Have you been to L.A. before? One of the quintissential L.A. experiences is to drive Sunset Boulevard (well, now it's Cesar Chavez Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard) from downtown to the ocean, making stops all along the way. Some of the highlights include historical downtown (Union Station, Olvera Street, and much more), Hollywood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Westwood, Bel Air, Brentwood, and Pacific Palisades. There are tons of sights to see on Sunset and just a few blocks to the north or south all along the route. (Dodger Stadium is one of them.) I always take my first time L.A vistors on this trip and it's always a big hit.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with all the previous posters.LA is a regional destination that puts you "not too far" from a lot of cool stuff. You must have a car,but the roads are good.
Any sports fan would certainly enjoy a trip to Anaheim to enjoy a game with the World Champion Anaheim Angeles. Or visit the Mighty Ducks, just across the street.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 07:21 PM

There are a number of historical buildings that are still around. It's just that most people aren't too familiar with them. The LA Conservancy offers tours to a number of them. I particularly recommend the tour of the historic movie theaters on Broadway.

LA Conservancy website:

http://www.laconservancy.org
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 04:45 PM

I lived in LA for 20 yrs so here is what I know. Peterson Auto museum is great. Drive to Will Rodgers State park in Pacific Palisades. Downtown LA: Go to Phillipe's for their fantastic french dip sandwiches. See the Bradbury bldg and drive to Museum of Science and Industry. Historically speaking LA can be a challenge.The older areas are near downtown. You could drive through Beverly Hills and check out the mansions. The drive down Sunset is interesting. Stop at the Self-Realisation Center at the end of Sunset. The Pier at Santa Monica is cool and Venice Beach is outrageous. LA is big so pick out your favorites. I'm sorry as far as sports are concerned, I not a big help. Good luck and have fun!