Thanksgiving Buffets and Football

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted over a month ago. Our family is coming up the Wed.before Thanksgiving leaving on Sunday.
My big question was which game to go to: Univ.Of NC Vs. Duke or
NC State Vs. Maryland. This decision is a lot easier now-NC State vs. Maryland. Although we would still like to visit the University of NC and see the stadium if they allow this. We are also going to a hockey game the night we arrive.
Big question. We are staying in North Raleigh but will travel up to an hour. Any recommendations for the family(2 children, 6 and 10)for a quaint restaurant, something different in the Triangle area or Chapel Hill area. I would say price range around $35 for adults and half of that for the children. The Fearington House wanted to charge $45 per person with no discounts for kids. Tells me they would prefer not to have kids there.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 06:46 PM

Let ask first, where in North Raleigh are you staying? Good for the hockey game, you will have a good time. Good for the NC State game but I would check on where you can park at the football game if you don't have a parking pass. Maybe go to gopack.com. I would definetely go to UNC and walk Franklin Street. Plenty of restaurants there and down in Carboro which is a 1/2 or so down the Franklin Street. Several restaurants. 411 is OK in Chapel Hill but not sure of what you are looking for. I would just search on CHapel Hill and look to see if you see something. If you are in DT Raleigh, you might want to try 42 Street Oyster bar althought not my favorite place. 518 West which is the sister restaurant of 411 (in CH). There is always Cafe Luna which is good and about that price but not sure they special kids pricing but you can get pasta fairly cheap. Always Mellow Mushroom (smaller chain) but depends on how cold it is as much of the seating is outside. There is also a Hard Times Cafe on Glenwood South that kids tend to like. My nephews and niece really like it and it is Chilli, wings, burgers, etc. Dos Toquitos in DT Raleigh has not opened up near the Capital so that might be a unique place. Have not been in that one but went to thier old/other location. Kind of a funky Mexican place. I would search on DT Raleigh and Chapel Hill and even Durham. Durham does have some great restaurants but may be more adult.

I would suggest the new BBQ place opening up where Nana;s use to be in the Depot District but it has not opened up yet.

some help

http://www.downtownraleigh.com/
http://www.downtownraleigh.com/maps/
http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/go-and-do/dining
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 06:54 PM

Also, if you going to the football game, make sure you tailgate. You can always go by a Bojangles or KFC and get some chicken or if you want something a little more healthy, on Wade Ave a mile or so before you get to the stadium, there is a Whole Foods and you could purchase a few items and probably could get a styrofoam cooler at the Eckerds in the same shopping center. Make a picnic/tailgate out of it. Wolfpack nation is big and proud and they get out there early. Would not hurt if the adults brought along a couple of Oat Sodas to sip on before the game as what is a tailgate without Oat Sodas and it is legal on the grounds...and very well behaved people.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 07:00 PM

(I'll preface this by saying my Raleigh knowledge is not great, so all my suggestions will be in Chapel Hill or Durham.)

Magnolia Grill in Durham is supposed to be great; as I was on a grad student budget when I lived in Chapel Hill, I never made it myself! You could also try Il Palio (in the Siena hotel) in Chapel Hill. Same deal - no personal experience, but I've heard it's great. I could be wrong, but I'd think most of the places around the RTP area with entrees around $35 would not be very kid-friendly. If $35 is entree, appetizer, and drink, then you might have better luck.

If you just want something different and not specifically something super nice, you could try Mama Dip's in Chapel Hill (southern food), Allen & Sons barbecue in Hillsborough (close to CH), or Crooks Corner in CH. Cosmic Cantina and Elmo's Diner both have locations in CH and Durham.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 08:15 PM

For Thanksgiving Buffets, try
Margaux's or one of the larger
hotels like the Marriott. They
both have children rates and are
in your price range.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for answering. Unfortunately I did not think anyone would reply now after not hearing anything for 2 days. My wife was yelling at me for not making reservations yet. So I made a reservation today for Carver's Creek for Thanksgiving dinner. Right behind the Holiday Inn North Raleigh where we are staying.
Many places that were mentioned were not serving Thanksgiving dinner. I did check out the Carolina Inn and other Hotel dinners but most were waiting list only and had many on the wait lists.
But I might try some of these other places other nights.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

I think for the NC State game I will either take a cab, or have my wife drop myself and my older son off. He is 10. I called the ticket office there today and they said they have plenty corner endzone seats left because they reserved them for Maryland fans but they are not buying many of them. They said it might be hard for my 10 year old to see from there though. So I think I will go the scalper route.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 07:24 PM

Please don't take a cab. The rates are
exorbitant here and sitting in
traffic for the game will keep
the meter running.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Pilgrim, how long of a ride will it be from North Raleigh? We are staying at the Holiday Inn. Suppose to be 3 miles from downtown Raleigh.