Raleigh Chapel Hill

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raleigh Chapel Hill

Our family is taking a trip to this area on Thanksgiving week. Even though we want to check out the Chapel Hill area more, we are staying in Raleigh because there seems like there is a lot more to do the week of Thanksgiving.
I saw there was a play for the children, my 10 year old loves sporting events and wants to see a hockey game and one of the College Football games.
Question-Which game would be more fun:
University of NC vs. Duke at Chapel Hill or NC State vs. Maryland at home?
Also would Fearington Village be a nice place to visit for a family or is it more retirees? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I have not been to this are in over 12 years.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 02:34 AM

For a better football game, the State-Maryland game would be it. Fearington is beautiful for a meal.
Just go hang out in chapel Hill for a while for shopping and good eating --or at least interesting. Crook's Corner.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 05:31 AM

UNC's stadium (and campus) is far more beautiful than NC State's but NC State has more of a true football atmosphere, where as UNC is more a wine and chees type of tailgate crowd. I myself am a Duke fan but I cannot vouch for their football team at all, the Duke/UNC football rivalry is more one of pride than one of substance . A hockey game is a great idea too, they are very fun.
I do agree that hanging out in Chapel Hill would be fun and maybe visiting the Duke Campus as well...
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 05:35 AM
HKP

I would be stunned if you could get tickest for UNC vs Duke. Know less about how tickets go for State games, but you could have the same problem. Get your hockey tickets PDC and expect to gasp at the price.

Fearrington Village does have belted cows you can look at, quite a good independent bookstore, and otherwise some boutique-y shops. There's a less expensive but still not exactly casual restaurant (good brunches on weekends) and the 4-star Fearrington Inn, whose restaurant is downright reverential (not for a 10 yr. old). There are plenty of retirees around, but it can be a pleasant enough visit, although not exactly a highlight.

Consider going over to the NC Zoo in Ashboro -- from Raleigh about the same time traveling as Fearrington - very nice and much more appropriate for a 10 yr. old.

Other suggestions would include the Museum of Life and Science in Durham, the planetarium on the UNC campus, and the Wake County "Kids Museum," due to open in 2 wks (a replacement for "Exploris," which is now closed).
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 05:40 AM
HKP

PS if you do get tickets for UNC-Duke, come back here and ask about parking.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 08:04 AM

My 2 cents...
The State-UMd game has the potential to be a better game (if State picks up their season). Duke is an abysmally bad football team. UNC was very bad last year, but are 1-1 now, and likely are not as bad as last year. There's more meaning to the UNC-Duke football game, because it is a classic rivalry (although UNC-State is the primary football rivalry).

I'm shocked to hear that it would be difficult to get UNC-Duke football tickets. Basketball tickets are impossible, but football shouldn't be that hard.

And, while there are some wine and cheese fans from UNC, I don't think you'd get that impression if you attended the game. It's not a working class atmosphere, but isn't the Harvard-Yale game, either.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 08:56 AM
HKP

As of now, there are tickets available, but of the next 4 home games, 2 are sold out and the Duke-UNC game is a bigger alumni-rivalry sort of game. http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/tickets/unc-tickets.html One quirk is that they don't announce gametime until quite close to the day -- so be aware.

Wasn't saying a THING about the quality of the play, just about how easy it might be to get tickets. With traditional rivalries (including Harvard-Yale), it's just a happy coincidence if the teams can play well, or even are well-matched.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 09:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
If UNC loses today against UVA, as they are on the way to doing so, then I would classify them in the same abysmally bad group as Duke.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 10:16 AM

Sadly, Birdie, you are entirely correct. I had higher hopes, and I wrote my response prior to kick-off.

Then the UNC-Duke game will be more evenly matched! State and Maryland certainly aren't powerhouses, either.

Big Al, I think the choice of games depends largely on which is more convenient to you.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 10:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I only said that because UVA is doing so badly this year.
I don't think I'll be seeing a win for W&M tonight. Against Liberty, no less!!!
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 11:51 AM

If you are thinking of moving to CH, Thanksgiving week really isn't the best time. You need to see the town with all the students and campus employees and the traffic (car and pedestrian) they cause. What might look like a nice road to live on, could be a cut through during school time. Same with public schools with that last sentence.

Usually the weather is very nice at that time so I get a lot of gardening down over the break.

A Duke-UNC matchup in any sport is a classic rivalry. You could put up a coed, intramural pingpong match and get a heated debate of the merits of one team over another.

Check out to see if there are any basketball games. UNC and Duke men's will be a tough ticket, NCSU easier (nothing against the team, just reality).

Fearington goes for 'quaint' in a big way. Not sure if a 10-year-old would love it. Maybe stop by Jordan Lake to see if there are any boat rentals at the time. We are having a horrible drought so I'm not sure if the boat ramps are open. Or even if there is boating at that tiem of year.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 02:35 PM

GO TAR HEELS!!!!! Go to Carolina!!!
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 03:40 AM

Oh, the idea of a basketball game is good and possible. The annual Blue White game is usually the same weekend as the Duke-Carolina game. We go every year and tickets are not hard to get. The Carolina stadium has been enlarged--and it is on the holiday weekend. It's more crowded when it is off that weekend. It is a boring game most years. It's actually more fun when in Durham--smaller stadium.
BigAl isn't going to move there--at least, I don't think so.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 06:38 AM
HKP

Is OP still there?

Those of us who live here think the times when the students aren't here* is the best time to come visit! Businesses are still up and running, but you can pretty much walk in anywhere... no waiting, etc.

*At T'giving, the place doesn't entirely empty out -- grad students tend to hang around.

Bigal9, do you have a place in mind for actual Thanksgiving dinner?
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies so far. Guess it was an interesting question. My friend told me that tickets for the hockey will be easy because even though the Hurricanes have a great team that their fan base is weak.
As far as the Football game goes I agee that NC State will probably be a better game but from what I hear the College atmoshere is better at Chapel Hill. Duke I was told does not have a great football team. I am wondering that if both teams are not in bowl contention, which seems like they are not now, that it might be easy to get tickets outside.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

HKP, you might be thinking about basketball. Those tickets would be impossible.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

HKP, thanks for the attachments. I am thinking of buying outside for the football games because some of you are saying that we will not know the exact game time beforehand.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

HKP, I do not have anything in mind yet for Thanksgiving dinner. I always like suggestions. Gretchen is correct, I am not looking to move here at this time. You never know later on in life.
I did want to check out Jordan lake but I thought it would not be open.
I did check to see if there were any basketball games and there was not any. I think the teams go away to other cities for tournaments at this time.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 11:22 AM
HKP

Having traveled at Thanksgiving myself and had to find somewhere for dinner, I've learned that you're pretty much stuck with (a) expensive hotel buffets or (b) the occasional over-priced individual restaurant's special-today-only menu, cooked and served by the relief crew (because everyone else is with family).

So I wish I could give you guaranteed recommendations, and I don't know the Raleigh hotel restaurants well at all.

In Chapel Hill, if your budget can handle it, you might see what the Il Palio (in the Siena hotel, Chapel Hill) or the Carolina Crossroads (in the Carolina Inn, Chapel Hill) have to offer for that day. And the very expensive Fearrington Inn has what is reputed to be the best Thanksgiving dinner in the area, but wow, I'd think 2ce, 4 times before I'd spend that kind of money on a 10 yr. old -- about $20 per fidget!!

In Durham would be the Fairview, in the Washington Duke Inn, which could be a good bet. If the Four Square in Durham is open, they might do a decent job.

In any case, you'll want to get a reservation.

Good luck with the sports tickets.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

HKP, thanks. We could eat Thanksgiving dinner anywhere but if we have it in Chapel Hill, I just wanted to make sure the University was open to look around. I doubt it. In Raleigh there are many things that are open on Thanksgiving.
Many tell me that Durham is not a safe city, with the exception of a couple of areas. What are your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -