Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving - Best Viewing Spot(s), arrival time..?..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I am completely ashamed, born and bred in NY (Long Island to be exact) and I have never been to Macy's Thanksgiving parade in person. So, could some experienced soul out there tell me the following:
- best time to arrive
- best viewing spot
- best way to get to that spot and get out w/ the quickness. i'll be taking LIRR to Penn Station and am familiar/comfortable w/ subway system.

Thanks.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 11:16 AM
GoTravel

Watch the parade on the Upper West Side. That way you'll be done way before the masses in Midtown and can beat the crowds to lunch.

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

whereabouts on the UPW?
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 05:44 AM

Try at about 70th St. We got to that cross street last year at about 7AM and were still able to get a front row position. By 8AM the crowds were a number of people deep. This cross street also features the less-used south entrance to the 72nd St subway station of the 8th Ave line (I think B and C) which goes directly to Penn Station--easy to make a quick escape.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 06:03 AM

You want to get on the A or C train, not sure what is going to be running this weekend/holiday. Both trains will stop at Penn Station. The A train is the express train and the C is the local.

Have a fun time at the parade.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 09:27 AM

Most of the activities take place in front of Macy's which is the official viewing stand, TV camersa etc.

Probably the closest you can get to that is about 37/38th st on Broadway. But it will be packed (like subway at rush hour) and you'll need to be there by 6 am to get a decent spot. The farther up Broadway the less crowded and the later you can arrive to get near the front of the crowd - but the fewer "acts" you'll see.

We usually go to the starting point of the parade - near 79th st - to see things start off then go home so we can watch the rest on TV - since that's really the only way to see the bands, Rockettes etc actually do anything but march - unless you're in the VIP grandstand - or willing to get up at 5am - or much earlier for you.