Search

Thank you Fodor's!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Fodor's!

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Nevada to attend our godson's wedding. We decided to take a trip extension to the Grand Canyon and used this website to research our travel options. Thanks to the advise we obtained here, we were able to watch a magnificant sunrise over the canyon from our second story room at Kachina Lodge and obtain dinner reservations at the El Tovar restaurant. What a wonderful travel resource!
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 05:43 AM

Glad you had a great trip retired teacher! Don't keep us in suspense what did you have to eat at El Tovar?

I did not see your earlier posts where were you traveling from?
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Sarah, I didn't post an individual inquiry on our trip to the Grand Canyon, but rather I used the 'search this forum' option at the top of the webpage. I often respond to other people's inquiries, but seldom post my own questions unless I cannot find the information I require through Fodor's search engine.... If you offered advise on the Grand Canyon recently, I probably read your post.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 05:09 AM
emd

Yes, what did you have at El Tovar for dinner? I am going to be dining there Dec. 29. What was good on the menu?

Was there ice and snow on the ground?
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Jed

We had 3 dinners at El Tovar several years ago. What I remember about it is that the appetizers were the best I ever had.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Oops... while writing the last response to my original post, I decided to go back and check to see what other recent topics Sarah had posted, so I copied my draft and used the back arrow. When I returned, my draft was gone so I pasted it into a new reply screen and ended up getting a duplicate entry when I posted my reply.... I didn't know that you could do that!?!

To answer your questions, being on a budget, I had the nightly special.... babyback ribs and chicken. Actually I was a bit disappointed in the offering as the ribs weren't very meaty, but the chicken was w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l. The atmosphere and the waitstaff lived up to their reputations as both were excellent.

The weather was cool with temperatures in the high thirties the morning of 12/2, but no ice or snow was visible. You will need to dress in layers, including outerwear that breaks the wind, and bring along a hat and warm gloves. It was nice to be able to watch the sunrise from our room in our PJ's with a cup of coffee at hand! Later on that morning we walked over to Mather Point and back before driving over to Hermit's Rest, stopping to walk out to all of the observation points along the way. My husband and I began chatting with two other couples who we met at almost every stop and by casual conversation, we determined that one of the men in the other group and I were classmates in high school, both graduating in '65. What a small world!