Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Texas Trip Report (including Twin Elm Guest Ranch)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Laurie

Texas Road Trip Report:

(Yes we went in August; Yes it was hot but not as bad as we thought it would be: it is hot in NY also; Yes we went with a 6 year old child & for this kind of trip, if you are travelling with a child, you really have to know your child?s capabilities; Yes we got up early in order to accomplish all this . Here goes:

Day 1; Big Bend National Park: Flew in from NY by way of Dallas into Midland Airport (closest to Big Bend, 235 miles away). Rented an SUV from National on site at the airport and began the drive to Park headquarters I-20W to TX-18S to I-385S. Arrived at the Park and had time to visit the Ranger station and do the short Panther Path nature walk before checking into the Lodge in the Chisos Basin (10 miles further and the only motel units in the Park).

Day 2; Big Bend National Park: Drove the Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive with gorgeous scenery and marked hiking opportunities along the way especially Mule Ears and Burro Mesa Pouroff; had picnic lunch (prepared by only restaurant in the Park at Chisos Basin) at Castolon Historic District and finished up at Santa Elena Canyon and back to Chisos Basin via Old Maverick Road (must have SUV). Once back at Chisos Basin, had time for Window View Trail & Chisos Basin Loop short hikes (saw deer).

Day 3; Big Bend National Park: Began with an early hike on the Lost Mine Trail (3 out of the 5 miles). Then drove the road from Panther Junction to Rio Grande Village with gorgeous scenery and marked hiking opportunities along the way including Dugout Wells & Hot Springs; had picnic lunch at Rio Grande Village and continued on to Boquillas Canyon. Headed back the way we came and drove toward Persimmon Gap entrance station with off road nature drive to Dagger Flat & a stop at the Fossil Bones archeological site.

Days 4-6; Bandera: Left the Park and headed for Bandera (380 miles) and a 3 night stay at Twin Elm Guest Ranch. Included in the rate are all three meals per person/per day and your accommodations, day & evening activities, swimming pool, river tubing, and 2 horseback riding sessions. We also went to the Frontier Times Museum and drove the Hill Country Scenic Trail while there.

Day 7; San Antonio: Left the Ranch after breakfast and drove the 50 miles to San Antonio. While there, we went to the Alamo, the National Park Historic Missions, and the Institute of Texan Cultures in Hemisfair Park. After dinner, we took a Yanaguana Riverwalk narrated boat ride right from the Rivercenter Mall. We stayed overnight at the La Quinta Convention Center (great included breakfast).

Day 8; Austin: Left SA after breakfast and headed for Austin (80 miles). While there, we went to the LBJ Presidential Library, toured the Capitol building, saw the Governor?s Mansion, and went to the Bob Bullock State History Museum. After dinner, we went to see the flight of the Congress Avenue Bridge Bats. Stayed overnight at the La Quinta Capitol (great included breakfast).

Day 9; Houston/Webster: Left Austin after breakfast and drove the 160 miles to Houston. Went to the San Jacinto Monument and museum and then to Space Center Houston. Stayed overnight at the Super 8 NASA/Webster (4 blocks from Space Center) (included breakfast).

Days 10-15; Carnival Cruise/Galveston: Dropped off the rental car at Houston Hobby airport and took Platinum Limousine the 45 miles to Galveston Passenger Ship Terminal. The Cruise called at ports of Cozumel and Calica. The shore tours were Atlantis Submarine (Cozumel) and Tulum/Xel Ha (Calica). When we got off the ship, we rented another car from Hertz for the day and drove around Galveston (the Strand, the Victorian Homes, the County Historical Museum, the Seawall and the beach). We then drove back to Houston Hobby airport to drop off the rental car and fly home.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Connie

So glad you enjoyed your trip to Texas.

So many people on this forum bash Texas because they didn't take the time to find out what all it has to offer.

The only thing you missed was central east Texas. It is totally different than the rest of Texas. It is rolling, green and covered with huge pine trees. The culture is more like the deep south.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Statia

Thanks for the report. How did you like Twin Elms?

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 06:33 AM
laurieb

Connie: I also forgot to add what incredibly nice people we had the opportunity to meet (most of the cruise ship passengers were from TX and of course anyone we met on land connected with the tourism industry); and I agree with your comment about Texas bashers.

Statia: the Twin Elm was great. The accomodations were basic but clean and neat. The food was very good and plentiful. There was a pool and well planned activities. The managers are very nice people and the entire staff makes sure you have everything you need and that you really relax & enjoy yourself. Well worth the price.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Christie

I'm glad you had a good trip, and you were very lucky that the summer heat has been mild this year!

Next time, be sure to come up to Fort Worth. The museums there are well worth a trip, especially the Kimbell. Personally, I can't wait to see the National Cowgirl HoF.