Texas Summer Weather

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Texas Summer Weather

Hi there need some advice on visiting Texas in July and Aug....now i know that it will be hot but what type of hot, is it humid etc?...i went to vegas last summer and that was hot and didn`t cool down much in the nights. Is Texas like that...we`ll be travelling around the state as we have 6 weeks...thanks
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:00 AM

Well, it is hot... you should be able to secure average temperature data on some website.
I personally do not find it that bad, but I am from here.
We have outdoor family gatherings in August and as long as you have shade, it's not bad at all. I think we have been mostly in the 90's the last few summers, rarely hitting 100. The humidity has been pretty bad as I recall and that is when it gets uncomfortable.
My father lives at Cedar Creek and it is normally 5-10 degrees cooler there than just 50 miles away in Dallas.
I feel VERY fortunate to live in this climate. I think it that our weather is really awesome!
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:08 AM
GoTravel

Extremely hot, extremely humid, very sticky.

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:20 AM
KVR

Where in Texas will you be traveling? I currently live in West Texas and we have more of a dry heat. Our area doesn't get as much rain. Can get up to 100 degrees. We've been to Las Vegas in July and the heat is comparable. When night falls the temps are still in the low to mid 80's

I lived in the Dallas area for 13 years and it rains a lot there. The summer heat is hot and humid.

Check www.weather.com for the areas you'll be traveling to.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:26 AM

Hi Adrian,

I'll take Dallas over Houston any day! But, as mentioned above, HOT and HUMID! I'm used to heat and humidity but it can be stifling at times even if you're used to the heat. Vegas is a dry heat which, to me, is much more tolerable.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:30 AM

I travelled around Texas for 2 weeks in August (Big Bend NP, San Antonio, Houston, Austin, Hill Country). It is very hot & humid. Carry alot of water & make sure every hotel has a pool!
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:45 AM

I have lived in Dallas for nearly 25 years and the summer humidity does not begin to compare with the upper midwest (2 1/2 years) or the east coast (8 years in DC, 5 1/2 in NY, and 13 in Phila.). Humidity is much more significant in Houston and to a lesser extent in San Antonio.
It is hot, 'tho '03 and '04 were fairly mild, and the high temps and humidity in DFW are mostly inversely related. Overnight lows of 80 get really old after a couple of months.
As always, hydration, sun block, hats and common sense permit all outdoor activities by millions of folks throught the summer.
M

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 06:58 AM
cd

Our son lives in Houston and in August I drip just walking from the front door to the car. Humidity is awful. I also notice that there are no children outside playing unless a pool is envolved.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 07:06 AM

As Mikemo says, the Dallas summer humidity is not significant, and goes up and down contrary to the temperature.

In the mornings in Dallas, the air temp may be between 70-75 degrees, but the humidity will be high, maybe 70%. At 4 in the afternoon, the air temp may be 95 Fahrenheit, but the humidity goes way down to 50%, 40%, perhaps.

The important issue in Dallas is basically staying in the shade. People are eating in outdoor cafes at noon in August precisely because they are shaded.

Also, the Statistical Anstract of the United States lists Dallas as having one of the lowest average summer humidity levels in the US. Phoenix beats us out, however.

The Houston humidity is much more severe because the afternoon heat will keep on sucking water out of the nearby ocean. Since Dallas is inland, and does not have an ocean to supply more water, the higher afternoon temp will raise the absorbancy of the air, which lowers the relative humidity.

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

thanks all sounds like fun!! as said we will be travelling around the state visiting the major cities etc and i plan to spend a week in Galveston which being on the coast i assume is cooler.........
Adrian
Wales UK
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 07:07 AM

Have been to Texas 5/6 times in July and August - Dallas, Houston and San Antonio - all on business. Every time we were there it was excrutiatingly hot and humid - so bad you would not voluntarily leave the hotel, office or car. We would all break into a sweat just walking from the office we were using out to the car in the parking lot. Not something I would ever do voluntarily.

But only you know how you handle extremely high heat - if you're just a little uncomfortable or if you find it unbearable.

(And yes I do find NYC in August often unbearable too.)
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 08:32 AM
GoTravel

Keep in mind the coast isn't going to be much cooler because the summer water tempurature of the gulf will be in the mid to upper 80s. It also keeps it from cooler down at night.

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:08 AM

Great response xbt...
People visit me for business from all over the world year 'round.
They rarely complain about the heat during the summer. I'll take Dallas in August over much of the US. Geez, visit other states in the Southern US... like FL, GA, LA.
I am somwhat surprised that someone said it rains a lot here. It rains, in fact we have had some big rainfall the past year or two. But to say it rains a lot in Dallas is kinda misleading.
Also, we generally seem to have 'cooperative' rain, if there is such a thing. I mean, WHEN it rains, it seems to rain between dusk and dawn. Others who live here may disagree...?
While Dallas has a reputation for being SO hot, last year we had family visiting from PDX 3 weeks in August and it was hotter and more humid in PDX and SEA than it was in Dallas.
Now 1980 WAS HOT... it was 'freakin' HOT, but I've seen nothing like it since.
Oh, one last thing... my boss is a Brit. He has a convertable and he keeps the top down ALL summer. We think he is crazy but he just loves the weather here!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:34 AM

Let's face it. It is hot, d***ed hot. However, it is not as hot as Las Vegas or Phoenix. I know, everyone there loves it because its a "dry heat". We have dry heat here in Houston, we call it an oven.

Houston is hot and humid. In fact downright muggy. Yes, it is like walking through a lukewarm sauna. Galveston is a little cooler because of the Gulf breeze. The water is not very pretty thanks to the Mississippi River and the coriolis effect. Port Aransas, about 2 hours southeast, is a quint fishing villiage to relax at.

Dallas is hot and dry. Same with San Antonio and Austin, although they are a little more bearable. The Hill Country (Kerrville and Fredericksburg) cools off more during the evenings.

The Panhandle (Lubbock and Amarillo) is the hottest and driest. El Paso and Big Bend are more mountainous, the days are drier and the evenings cool off pretty quickly.

With all that, I prefer summers here to winters in the midwest. Just a personal preference. I like knowing that I won't lose a finger or an ear because it has been exposed to the heat.

Also, it is easier to adapt to the heat. I have many friends from the north who returned after living here for 2 or 3 years then complained about how cold it was. Something about blood thinning.

Despite the sarcasm, the heat here is bearable as long as you prepare for it. Wear light clothes (lots of cotton, no wool) and sunscreen. Expect a more casual atmosphere and be ready for people to be friendly. Be prepared to drive. Mass transit is relatively nonexistent.

There are lots of things to see and do here. With 6 weeks, you should get a chance to see much of it. Let us know your interests and we can provide input as to how to schedule your itinerary.

Regards,
Lindsaey
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks once again all.....were flying into LAX as its far cheaper for us to do it that way and we will drive from LA to texas so i assume we will have a month to explore Texas. We like everything really were two adults three children ages 14 11 and 8 so a visit to a theme park(s) is a must but we like to explore the cities etc see the museums and we all like to shop especially the outlet malls (so good value for us brits) We went to Myrtle Beach two years ago and im wondering is Galveston anything like that???....once again thanks for all your help.

Ade
Wales UK
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 02:57 PM

It is over 1,500 miles from LA to Galveston. Think of it this way, driving from LA to Houston is comparable in distance to driving from London to Innsbruck, then back. I had a friend in college from El Paso who accepted a job in LA instead of Houston because LA was closer to home.

It will be at least a two day, 12 hours per day, drive from LA to Galveston. Are you sure it will be cheaper to fly into LAX when you add in the cost of a vehicle and gas?

Driving direct can be dull, miles and miles of miles and miles. If you are going to drive from and to LA, I suggest making it more of an adventure and visit sites off of I-10. Visit Phoenix or Tucson for a day. In Texas, definitiely plan a couple of days at Big Bend National Park.

My wife thinks the best outlet mall in the state is in New Braunfels which is about 40 miles north of San Antonio.

While in San Antonio go to SeaWorld (it doesn't make an sense to me either) and Fiesta Texas. And be sure to see the Alamo. (Just don't be like Ozzie Osborne).

Not much outlet shopping or theme parks in Galveston proper. There is an outlet mall up near League City, but I don't think it is the premier type place you are seeking. The Strand is fun for shopping. Moody Garden's is fun for a day. Space Center Houston is about 30 miles north at Johnson Space Center and can be a fun visit. Lots of seafood nearby at the Kemah Boardwalk. The closest amusement park is Astroworld in Houston.

Assuming your itinerary is a triangle of LA-Houston-Dallas-LA, Six Flags over Texas near Dallas is a good amusement park. There is an excellent outlet mall on the way to Dallas, I think in Hillsboro.

On your way back to Los Angeles, you could see Cadillac Ranch, Palo Duro Canyon, stop in Santa Fe.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

thanks for that info.....weve done a few mammoth drives in the states in the last two years first the east coast and last year the west coast both trips totaled over 5000 miles...we plan to take our time not book anything and stop wherever takes our fancy and of course ive got to do all the research....ill have to "remember the alamo" cheers
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:37 PM

Texas is a huge state. The weather in the southern tip is quite different than the northen tip. Yes, it is all hot and humid, but I found Dallas tolerable, but Houston and Galveston unbearable. If you can be near the water, it helps.

Whatever the case, have a good plan B that is indoors in the event that it is a heat wave.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 10:12 PM
abp

San Marcos has a great outlet mall and it's on IH 35 near New Braunfels. The Schlitterbahn (in new Braunfelss)is the best water park in Texas. Also you can rent a tube and "float" the river. They let you bring in coolers with food and drink...NO GLASS CONTAINERS. Don't forget the Sun Screen and re-apply ever 2hours and after swimming. I am a Native Texan and love the summers!! It is hot but plan your day wisely. Do outdoor activities in the morning and inside stuff during the heat of the day. If in San Antonio don't miss the river walk and Institute of Texan Cultures. In Austin the Texas Memorial Museum behind the state capitol is very enjoyable and buy tickets for all of the shows. I prefer Port Aransas to Galveston...smaller town.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 10:31 PM

Seriously, if I have i)6 weeks in the summer, ii) plane tickets to LA, I would definitely spend those time here in Texas. I live here in Houston, and I don't get out during that time. Coming to visit at that time is wasting your time.

I don't know what part of the West you've explored last time out, but there are plenty of better places to go at that time of the year. You can drive up the coast all the way to Seattle and back. You can drive up the desert to hit the rockies, etc... But I can guarantee you that you will not enjoy 6 weeks in Texas.

And Galveston can be fully explored in about 3/4 of a day. Of all places in the US, it's really not a "destination" city.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -