Texas - Need info. re: The Mansion on Turtle Creek

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my 20th wedding anniversary, I am considering the Mansion on Turtle Creek (or other suggestions). We will be going in late September (Thurs-Sun), and while we were originally considering someplace in Florida since we could fly into some of the bigger cities fairly easily, a poster suggested the Mansion on Turtle Creek. We really want a lovely, luxurious place that is quiet where we could just relax by a pool and take it easy. My questions are: Is the Mansion still a lovely place to visit and would it be too hot there in mid to late Sept. to enjoy? Any suggestions regarding the Mansion (or any other 4 or 5 star place for a romantic weekend trip in the south/ southeast would be appreciated.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 10:09 AM

I work very close to the Mansion and its a beautiful, charming hotel with an excellent restaurant. My husband and I actually did a staycation and spent our anniversary there last year. I don't think September would be too hot, but I'm afraid you might be disappointed in the pool. Its small, old, rectangular....feels like you are hanging out in someone's backyard pool almost. If pool is a top priority for you, I'm not sure that would be my recommendation. Have you considered the Four Seasons in downtown Austin? Its supposed to have a really nice resort style pool, right on Town Lake.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the heads up on the pool at the Mansion.

I like your suggestion about the 4 Seasons in Austin as we have never been there but have been all over Florida and Austin might not be too hard to get in and out of for us from B'ham, Al.

Would it be outrageously hot in Austin in mid to late September though? And would we need a car, or could we just cab it from the airport and then walk around the Austin area from the hotel?

Thanks again.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 01:08 PM

Austin (Dallas, too) might be really hot in mid to late September--or maybe not. It's hard to tell.

If you're going to be in Austin for three or four days, I'd say you would definitely want a car.

Texas plays Texas Tech in Austin on 9/19 at 7 PM and there should be a huge crowd (traffic and restaurants might be affected) for that game. Also, there is a home game against UTEP on 9/26 at 2:30.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 05:47 AM

Austin can be hot in August, but "cool" fronts usually start about mid month (meaning temps can be in the 60s at night) but it is unpredictable.

The 4 Seasons is an excellent property. Beautiful hotel (with distinct southwest flavor) and grounds fronting Town Lake with hike and bike trails that follow the lake. And the pool is very nice. Great location near Congress and music venues. Excellent restaurant on site and on adjacent property is also a very good restuarant, Shoreline Grill.

Yes, if you're there for 3 days I'd get a car. If nothing else, spend a few hours in the Hill Country west of town.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 06:40 AM

I would choose San Antonio over Austin. I found Austin to be quite boring. San Antonio is much more fun and it's a better taste of Texas.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 07:01 AM

We stayed at the Mansion in June and while it is a nice hotel, it is certainly not my favorite. Our first room had mold on the carpet and smelled very heavily of cleaning supplies - like they were trying to mask the smell of mold. They moved us to another room which was fine. The pool area is just as described above - very small and confined. The bar area of the hotel is very cozy and nice and the outdoor patio restaurant is lovely and has a wonderful breakfast.

I didn't care for the architecture of the hotel. I was picturing a mansion - a wonderful old stately home. This hotel is a big, pink sprawling building that looks like it has been added onto several times. The inside has some absolutely beautiful features (the foyer hall and dining room especially) but the outside was nothing to write home about. (Let me add a disclaimer here - I am a bit of a hotel snob. I am all about the aesthetics of the hotel. My ideal hotel would be luxurious and beautiful from top to bottom. By beautiful, I don't mean gilded in gold - I prefer clean, charming and architecturally pleasing).

You would definitely need a car if you stayed at the Mansion. It is about a 15 minute drive from Love Field and there is nothing really within walking distance of the hotel. The location is nice in that it is near some beautiful residential neighborhoods, but if you want to be near restaurants and shopping areas you will need to drive.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 09:14 AM

You said you are open to suggestions. How about the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC? You would probably have to drive there, but its definitely a 4/5 property with lots of fine dining options. The scenery is gorgeous, the shopping is of the craft/artisanal type. In September the Smokies ought to be in prime fall foliage and if you are into any outdoor activity like walking or hiking, many options abound.