Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Tetons, Yellowstone & Glacier too much in 2 weeks?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 07:03 AM
jacobla

We have plans for 3 families (9 people) to travel to Yellowstone and Glacier from Illinois in July 2004. Our plan right now is to spend 3 days in Yellowstone and 4 in Glacier. If we don't go to the Tetons will we be missing something that we can't see in the other two parks? I'd also like advice on the best moderately priced place to stay at Yellowstone. Can we stay at one central place and see everything or should we stay at 2 places? Also what are some "must see" sights?

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would switch it and do 4 days in Yellowstone and 3 days in Glacier. There is more diversity in Yellowstone. There is also a lot more than just Old Faithful and geysers. If you decide you've seen enough of Yellowstone you can always take a day trip down to the Grand Tetons. We've done that before.

As far as places to say, we've always camped except for 30 years ago when we stayed at Old Faithful, Roosevelt and Mammoth Hot Springs in cabins. I think I would split it on two different locations. Old Faithful area and Mammoth Hot Springs would be my first two choices. You can do day loops from each place.

As far as Glacier is conserned, I would stay on the west side, but travel over to the east side.

Utahtea
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 03:22 PM

I agree with Utahtea. I have visited all 3 of the parks and I think you could spend the whole time in the Yellowstone - Tetons area.

Also you will need to allow a full day to travel from Yellowstone to Glacier. The distance is over 430 miles from West Yellowstone townsite to the western park entrance.

Around West Yellowstone, I never have found a good place to stay. The last time I went to a place in Hungry Horse that was expensive and mediocre.
The best motel I have found within range is in Big Fork, Montana.

In Yellowstone itself, accommodations are expensive for what you get.
Now is not too early to reserve a cabin if that is what you want. The Western Cabins at Old Faithful and at the Lake are ok. Some of the others are not so good.
I stayed at Old Faithful Inn last year and I was sorry i did . My room was a matchbox and hot as the devil. I moved to West Yellowstone the following evening.

You can expect to pay high prices in July.

But again, visit the Xanterra website now if you want to reserve a suitable cabin in the park. You might want to call them to finalize the deal because you can get more accurate and up to date information from a person.

In the park I suggest that you might want to reserve two nights at the Lake and 2 nights at Old Faithful.
From either place you can drive north to other attractions such as the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, Tower Falls, Mount Washburn, Haydn Valley, the Dragons Cauldron, etc.
From Old Faithful, you can easily drive north to the Norris Geyser Basin and Mammoth Hot springs.

If you want to stay in West Yellowstone, the Lazy G Motel was, a few years ago, an acceptable place that did not charge well over $100 per room per night.

Personally, I actually prefer one place so I don't have to pack up everything again.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 04:57 PM

Hello from Northwest Montana

DIXON
If you stayed at Hungry Horse or Big Fork you had one helluva drive everyday to West Yellowstone!
Did you not mean Glacier Park?
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 07:47 PM

We did all three in summer 2001. Stayed 1 night in Grand Teton, three in Yellowstone, and two in Glacier with three days in Helena and Great Falls in between YNP and Glacier.

I thought we saw quite a bit, altho the Going to tht Sun road was closed in Glacier, so we missed that.

In Grand Teton, stayed at the Colter Bay Cabins - my wife's favorite room/cabin during our 2 month trip. It was $129

In Yellowstone, we stayed at the Old Faithful Lodge Cabins - two cabins for $111 per night (1 with bath, 1 without). I really liked the location there. I would agree with Utahtea and spend one night on the northern part, either at Roosevelt or Mammoth.

In Glacier, we stayed at Rising Sun Motor Lodge on the east side and Lake McDonald Lodge (cabin) on the west. I don't have the exact cost, but I remember the Lake McDonald cabin being about $165 per night.

If I had to cut anything out, I would cut out Grand Teton. You are on the plain next to the (very impressive) mountains, but there are similar mountains in Glacier, and you are right among them in Glacier.

Like Utahtea, I would spend 4 days in YNP

Whatever you decide, do it soon AND THEN MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS THAT DAY!!!!
MOst of the park hotels take reservations up to 365 days in advance and there are some who make the next summer's reservations exactly 365 days early.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 07:54 PM

If you have only one week, I would split the time between Tetons and Yellowstone. Glacier is great, but it will be too much driving. If you stay in West Yellowstone Montana, it will be almost an hour's drive into the park every day. Once you get to the park, it is more driving. How about staying three days in Jackson Wy. to visit the Tetons, and then 4 in West Yellowstone? I stayed at a reasonable place in West Yellowstone called the Three Bear Inn and it was fine. Three years ago, they were building a Hampton Inn, which could be a moderate alternative. West Yellowstone is really crowded in July, so make reservations as soon as you know your itinerary. IMO, the scenery in the Tetons was superb, but the wildlife was more plentiful in Yellowstone. I have been to all three parks and I love every one of them, but for a return visit I would go to Yellowstone because I am such a fan of the wildlife.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 05:12 AM

FYI, after reading this post I checked into the Hampton Inn....apparently they bought thr Gray Wolf Inn & Suites. We have reservations there mid June, and on my res. confirmation as of 6 weeks ago, it was part of the Lexington group. Judy
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 10:45 AM
jacobla

This is such great information especially as I've never been to Glacier! I just posted this another place before I saw these replies but I keep hearing that the Beartooth Highway is so beautiful but to take it will be several hours longer to take it to Glacier rather than just going north out of Yellowstone. Since this will postpone our arrival I'm wondering if its worth it. I want to see Beartooth if it is but is it different than what we will see at Glacier or other places in these areas?