Search

Yellowstone, Teatons and Glacier!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 01:59 PM
GP
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellowstone, Teatons and Glacier!

Ok group I need your collective wisdom. We are heading to Grand Teatons, Yellowstone, and Glacier end of July. We have Eight Days. Fly in late Friday night to either Billings or Idaho Falls and out of Missoula the following Sunday. How do we split out time.

Thanks
GP
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 04:52 PM

You're really pushing it to include all three during eight days. That amount of time is perfect just for Yellowstone and the Teton. I'd advise saving Glacier for another trip.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 04:52 PM

Well let me start my collective wisdom by saying that I must admit your spelling of Tetons gets right down to the heart of the matter!

If you want to stay in Yellowstone, you should have reserved yesterday. Most of the good places are gone. I suggest you call Xanterra quicklyand see what is available. At this stage of the game you may face limited choices.

Outside the park you might try West Yellowstone for commercial motels. It fills, but not quite as quickly as inside the park lodging.

For the Tetons, try Colter Bay Village or Signal Mountain Lodge. Both are ok, and might have something still available.

For Glacier, lots of luck. I have no suggestion there. My gambit in years past have been to stay in Waterton, or even Cardston in Canada.

The concessioner for Glacier is www.glacierparkinc.com, but I was unable to raise its web site -- no access for me was possible. The winter headquarters is in Phoenix, so it should not be frozen stiff.

Rising Sun Motor Inn lies on the eastern side of the park, just off of the Sun Road, which goes over Logan Pass. It is the closest place in the park to acceptable I have stayed in. Lake McDonald Lodge is popular and well located on the west side of the park.

Many Glacier Hotel is an old creaky building. Full of atmosphere, but I am not sure about the quality. the hotel dates from 1914; I think the beds do too, but others may have more recent experience with it than I.

It is a full day drive from Yellowstone to Glacier. So you in reality have 7 days.

I would split it 2 for the Grand Teton National Park, 3 for Yellowstone, 1 traveling, and 2 for Glacier.

I personally could fill the 8 days without Glacier because I tend to linger in the Geyser Basins for hours.
And the Bearthooth Range north of the park is pretty, high, and wild.
The pass from Red Lodge over to the Northeast Gate of Yellowstone is a classic mountain drive, and the Chief Joseph Highway is very scenic.

You will find a lot to do. But I am not kidding about those reservations.
The Old Faithful Snow Lodge, which is proably the best place to stay, sold out for the summer last month. People do cancel, but stumbling in to one is matter of luck.

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:41 PM

Whereas the Grand Tetons were named from a Frenchman's dream of womanly perfection

but, really, must we be so obvious?

(Just kidding!)
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 06:48 PM

I'm also one that would save Glacier for another trip. Instead, I would spend two days at the Grand Tetons, one day driving the Beartooth Highway up to Red Lodge and around to Cody and then the rest of the time in Yellowstone.

Utahtea
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 07:27 PM
GP
Original Poster

OK
We already have over lapping reservations in Grand TETONS (oops!) Yellowstone and Glacier ( I boooked early so I could cancel a day here and there)and we are going to them all. It may be a mistake but Yellowstone might be our shortest stay. We are not fond of lots of people. 2 years ago we got the Grand Canyon, Mtn Valley, Nat Bridges C. Reef, Brice and Zion plus a night in Vegas in 10 days. We can get around and its just me and the wife. We will spend a night in Great Falls before Glacier. What are the things we should not miss?

Looking to have Fun
GP
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 03:52 AM

All right, I'll bite. Why did you bother posting the question when you seem to have already made up your minds?
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 06:33 AM

GP,

If you don't mind me asking....how many days DO you have reserved for each park and in what order? This would make a BIG difference in whether you should fly into Billings or Idaho Falls.

OK, I can understand wanting to see all three parks, but what made you decide to give Yellowstone the shortest amount of time? Do you like mountain hiking?

When you do cancel some of your reservations in Yellowstone....you are going to make some other people VERY HAPPY!

Utahtea
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:22 AM
GP
Original Poster

OK
For Howard.
The reason I post is to hear what other people think. They may tell me something that I do not know and then I can modify my plan. I was told once, plan to improvise. My travel plans are like an outline for a story, but we can wing it if we have to.

For Utahtea
I always respected your advice and enjoyed your trip reports. When I first stared this plan it was going to be 4 nights in Yellowstone 24,25,26,27, then 3 nights in Glacier 28, 29, and 30 these times were reserved. Then I ?discovered? Grand Teton we think we would enjoy this park as much or more than crowded Yellowstone. So I have reservations for the 24, 25, and 26 there. If we fly into Billings it would make Yellowstone our 1st stop but then we would be backtracking. So now the plan is Tetons Yellowstone and Glacier Flying into Idaho Falls. We are flying out of Eureka and either way we get to Billings or Ida. Falls to late to go anywhere that night. We do enjoy hiking. The wife has fully recovered from a very broken ankle last year so we are ready to go. It is looking like 2 days Tetons 2 days Yellowstone 1 night Great Falls 2 days Glacier and 1 night our anniversary and a full moon in Missoula.

Bring on all comments good bad and ugly!

Still looking for fun!
GP
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:59 AM

have a great time, but just wanted to say, in my view, even the grandest of tetons don't compare to Yellowstone...
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 09:39 AM

GP,

If you are going to Great Falls, Montana to see the falls....don't waste your time! Mankind has ruined them!

If you do keep the night in Great Falls then please take your time leaving Yellowstone that morning. If you skip Great Falls then please spend that night in Yellowstone.

I would also suggest leaving the Grand Tetons early in the morning to make it to Yellowstone...just to add a few more hours....I think I speak for many on this board...you won't regret the time in Yellowstone.

Utahtea
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 10:26 AM
GP
Original Poster

Utahtea
There are falls in great falls? We are going there to sleep. Do not want to rush out of Yellowstone and we tend to enjoy our drives. It looks like we will be on 89 to GF, we will stop at campgrounds and other sites along the way. I promise when I get back I'll do a report and eat crow if I do not have enough time in Yellowstone.

BUT no one has answered my questions about what to see in these parks?

Are we having fun yet?
GP
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 11:32 AM

GP, your question can be best answered by purchasing Frommer's excellent guide devoted to Yellowstone and the Teton. It's an outstand resource.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 02:08 PM

You made plans to go out there without knowing why you were going?

I thought everybody knew Yellowstone had rare thermal features like geysers, mud pots, hot springs, boiling springs; and wild life like elk, deer, moose, buffalo, bears, wolves, coyotes, eagles, hawks, and owls; and geologic features like lakes, water falls, mountains, rivers, forests, lava flows, and earth quakes.

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 02:44 PM
GP
Original Poster

I am beginning to like this thread

Mr. Brown nice to hear (see) from you.

With the exception of wolf, moose, and bison (buffalo) we have that all here in N. California. Yes one of my goals is to see a Moose (a male with the antlers). I have seen bison in Utah. I go because ?it is there? and as a life long outdoors person I have been told many a time ?GP you gotta go to Glacier, Yellowstone, Teton.

Also I consider myself a life long student of our natural environment and I am a pretty good plant ecologist. I am just trying to get some feed back on things people found interesting at these parks and why. Myself I would be more excited by specific plant associations native to the greater Yellowstone ecosystem than a bear but most people I know would not care about the plants. I can not wait to see what type of plants are around the thermal features in Yellowstone and how they differ from the ones in Lassen. Now I am having fun!

Still looking for input!
GP
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 03:32 PM

We don't have moose in California???

Then, what's that chocolate thing I ate the other night? [-o<
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:04 PM

That chocolate thing was a mouse.
Or is it mousse. Anyhow, it ain't moose. I ate lunch with 3 moostresses once in Glacier. (no moosters in sight)The girls ate acquatic plants from the stream bottom while I had a sandwich. They were very pleasant and polite luncheon companions. When the slurped their green stuff, they pointed their hoofs, and I did not have to pay the check.

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:15 PM

Moose spotted in California!

http://www.utahtea.lithium.com/Virgina%20C%20Moose.htm

Utahtea
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:20 PM

Well, getting serious about Yellowstone, I can offer a couple of ideas.

Seriously, with the burns of 1988, many of the regions in the southwest part of the park get enough moisture to sprout wildflowers and other plants because the lodgepole pine canopy does not snuff them out.

The Yellowstone Institute offers short courses, some even for credit, that explore the natural environment.

Most of the visitor centers are staffed with a ranger naturalist who can answer a wide variety of questions about flora and fauna. However, budget cuts under the present regime have curtailed the interpretive program.

What happens then is some knowledgeable person is asked 150 - 200 times a day, "When does Old Faithful erupt?" even though the time is posted in highly visible places.

Because of the crowds at Yellowstone, you can expect less interpretation one on one than other parks. But the naturalist led hikes are often very informative. I seek them out on the bulletin boards and try to be selective about the ones I sit in on or go with in the field, but rarely am I disappointed. Of course, you have to bear in mind that the presentation starts off for the lay person.

But illustrated field guides to wildlife and plants are for sale in the visitor centers and one can buy a copy and start wandering.

But, there is usually someone around who can address most questions, even specific ones. Just don't pick a flower and bring it in to be identified!!

As an illustration of what you can learn, one spring while in the visitor center at Capitol Reef, a retired geologist was the naturalist. I got him going on the geologic history of the region and he game me about an hour's presentation from memory. He got into all the rock formations in detail. At the time, I was the only guy all day who asked him a geology question. Most people wanted to know where the rest room was.

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:23 PM

GP,

The last time we were in the Grand Tetons - Yellowstone area in 2000, the best place to see moose was the Jackson Lodge. You go out to their patio area at dusk and the moose could be seen coming out to eat (natural vegetation...they are not feed). We were lucky enough to see a mama and her baby playing and having fun. We also saw a big one with antlers in the parking lot area.

The time before the good place to spot moose was at Oxbow overlook also at the Grand Tetons.

Moose have been harder and harder to find in Glacier and Yellowstone.

There's something really special about the heards of buffalo (bison) that roam Yellowstone...I don't know what it is....maybe it's the massive size of the heards...or maybe it's just the beautiful setting. We've seen buffalo in ND, SD, Utah...but Yellowstone is my favorite place to see them.

Utahtea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -