Search

Tenement Museum NYC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tenement Museum NYC

Going to the Tenement Museum next weekend - firstly - has anyone been there and can share any info? Secondly - going with my Mom and we'd like to have a nice (not just a sandwich and chips) lunch nearby...the museum is at 108 Orchard Street - Lower East Side. I'm not too familiar w/ that area so any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 05:50 AM

If you are a foodie, you should eat at WD-50 on Clinton St. which is just a few blocks north of Orchard. If you want cheap Chinese food, there are a few restaurants on Allen St, around the corner from Delancy. Another restaurant that is a short cab ride away is Balthazar on Spring St. It is VERY crowded and has an enegetic vibe.

You can buy your timed tickets to the Tenement Museum on line. The tour I took, "Getting By," took one hour. (I hated my tour guide; he was a drip.)

Do yourself a favor and walk down Orchard St. You will see Guss's Pickels. BUY A FEW--THEY ARE GREAT!
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 05:57 AM

I really enjoyed the tenement museum. Consider watching the movie, Crossing Delancey, before you go. I love the movie anyway (one of my favorites), but it added a lot for me before my visit. An uptown career woman crossing Delancey to another world to visit her beloved grandmother in the Lower East Side - and a potential romance with the pickle man. Great story - and nice way to set the stage for the LES.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 06:10 AM
emd

I know you don't want a regular sandwich, but for a real NY deli experience, walk from the Lower East Side Tenement Museum to Katz deli for lunch. It is a short walk. Not your typical sandwich and chips. This is the deli where Meg Ryan did her famous "faking it" scene in "When Harry Met Sally." Menu is available here.

http://www.katzdeli.com/

If you get a map you will see that the Lower East Side is bordered by Little Italy, Chinatown, LoHo, and a little further west, Nolita. You could easily eat in places in those locations.

I wanted to eat at Frankie's Sputino at 17 Clinton St. in Lower East Side, but I didn't get there. This is a nicer place but also is a neighborhood place. It was recommended to me when I was going to the Tenement Museum and I thought the menu looked good.

http://www.frankiesspuntino.com/17/menus.html

Have you seen this website on the Lower East Side? It lists and describes restaurants.

http://www.lower-east-side.com/index.html

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 06:18 AM

The movie is a gem. Fell in love with Peter Riegert as the pickle man. Still have a crush I think! Was shocked to see him with grey hair on Law and Order recently. Ya mean he still doesn't look the same as in 1988?

LOVE the storyline and the relationship with Izzie and her Bubbie!
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 06:26 AM

Go to Clinton St. Bakery for lunch/brunch but be prepared to wait even during the week. I can't say anything about Katz's haven't been there. but the Clinton St. Bakery is a cute charming cafe with great food that shows what the les is changing into.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 08:27 AM

I hope you've booked for the Tenement museum. It gets very crowded, esp. on weekends and is small so only a certain number can go in. There are at least 2 different tours you can take. They're both good.

As mentioned, you're not far from Chinatown (dim sum is popular for weekend lunch) as well as the the immediate neighborhood which has both the old fashioned places like Katz's or trendier places like Schiller's and Essex. Essex has an all you can drink brunch that makes for long waits.

Here's a list of places in the immediate area for brunch.
http://www.menupages.com/restaurants...rt=2&mt=4&ft=0
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 08:46 AM

After lunch, try the gelato at "il laboratorio gelato" across the street from the museum. It is great!!

The museum is also fantastic. Some tours sell out early though, so it is good to book in advance. We did 2 tours when we went and found them both to be fun and informative (confession--I am a history teacher) but even my sometimes "jaded" teenager enjoyed herself.

For the record there is some good shopping to be found in that area as well.

Friends enjoyed the "Stanton Social" for dinner but I am not sure what the deal is there for lunch.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Wow - I love this website...thanks to everyone for the helpful tips! I've spent the last few minutes checking out the restaurants you all were kind enough to recommend! Yum! This is a Mother/Daughter trip to the city (from NJ) so we want to have a special, on the nice side, lunch. And thanks for advising that we need tickets in advance! I'll do that today. Another question - I don't know if any of you are from NJ (I'm from Northern - Paramus area)...but what's the best way to get there? Bus or ferry then cab it? Thanks again for your kind help.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:29 AM

The Tenement Museum is very good. I too recommend Katz's for lunch. It's just a few easily walked blocks from the museum and "in keeping" with the LES.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 06:11 PM

At Ludlow/Rivington Sts., 'inoteca is just a 5 minute walk away from the museum.

inotecanyc.com
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your terrific suggestions - I actually had a great day thanks to all of your feedback. Firstly, got the tickets in advance which was a great idea - it does get crowded there - wow. For brunch, because of the weather not cooperating we ate closeby - Cafe Charbon which was lovely. Tour was terrific (did 'Piecing it Together', next time doing 'Getting By') and afterwards got a pickle at Gus's, that was cool...missed out on the gelato mentioned but next time! And lastly, for all of you folks who recommended Katz' - you're so right. Stopped there for a Rueben to go to have for dinner and it was such a great experience. Just had some of it as I can't seem to wait and it's delicious - that was a true NYC experience and I appreciate all that were kind enough to provide your suggestions, it made a good day great.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 01:00 PM

So good of you to post back with results. How did you wind up traveling?
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Hi Mclaurie, thanks again to you! I took the bus from Northern NJ to Port Auth., then a cab (not bad - $10) to Orchard Street - a great way to go, very easy and the City was on the quiet side today so perfect. I do need to try that 'all you can drink' deal at the Essex (are they kidding?what a great offering). I have lived outside of NYC my whole life and never made it to the LES - it was a real treat today.