NYC with two 13 yr olds-need help SAP

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC with two 13 yr olds-need help SAP

My husband and I just decided to take a day trip to NYC this Sat (as the weather looks great) with my 13 yr old son and his cousin. We were thinking of possibly visiting the USS Intrepid and maybe another museum or landmark. Would the Museum of NAtural History be a good choice? We're only a 90 min drive from the city but know we can't pack too much into one day. Does anyone have any other suggestions for an interesting fun filled day in New York that would appeal to 13 yr olds?

Also need a moderately priced restaurant, maybe Italian that's young teen friendly-has good food and fun.

Thanks for any quick suggestions!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 04:42 PM

USS Intrepid is a great idea - they will love it! Museum of Natural History is another good choice and what about the wax museum? For a casual dinner think about John's at 260 West 44th St. decent food and it won't break the bank - it's in a building that used to be a church and it still has the balcony, stained glass windows etc.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 04:53 PM

The Intrepid and the Museum of Natural History will make for a very entertaining day for two 13-year-olders. There is much to choose from at the museum--two excellent planetarium shows, the dinosaur section, a new hands-on section, etc.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 07:33 PM

My teenage kids love Carmines (two locations) for Italian... good,safe,big-portion meals in a noisy but fun environment... no reservations taken, but if you get there around 5, tables are a short wait...
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 07:48 PM

After the Museum of Natural History walk into Central Park, right across the street. Sure to be activity there.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 09:21 PM

I would think the Intrepid would be a great idea and if you had not heard there is a British Air Concorde parked there as a part of the exhibit.

Also the South St Seaport would be fun, and a walk to Battery Park to see the globe and the temporary memorial to the World Trade Center and then maybe a walk up to the Trade Center.

The weather is looking good for this weekend. We'll be in Chinatown for dim sum if you want to stop by on Saturday.

Have a great time and enjoy the city.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 11:34 PM

Good choice and near the museum you have Isabella's on Columbus, a good and
not expensive italian restaurant.
If weather is good and temperature decent you acn also have an outdoor lunch.
Erik.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 06:02 AM

After the Intrepid, if you wanted to stay near Times Square for a bit, you might take the kids to Madame Tussands (sp?) on 42nd just near Times Square. My sister took my 12 year old nephew and he had a ball. Also, the kids may enjoy the Toys R Store. While they might be a bit old for the Ferris Wheel, they should be impressed by the animatronic dinasour.

If you wanted something other than Italian, Virgil's BBQ on W 44th is one of the best in the city. From Times Square, it is an easy subway ride to the Museum of Natural History. I haven't been yet, but I've heard good things about the new planetarium.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 06:14 AM

Take them to Little Italy for dinner and walk over to Chinatown. It's a very lively area down there. For decent food in Little Italy, I like Il Fornaio (sp?).
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 06:19 AM

If they don't want to go to the Museum of Natural History to see the dinosaurs and/or a plantearium show, give me a call. I'd be happy to go in their place. It would make for a fun day by itself, but the intrepid is pretty neat too.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 07:09 AM

The 13yr old boys would like Jeckly & Hydes they have two locations one off 57 & broadway and On 7th ave in the Village.The Only bad thing is cash only no Credit Cards and Ok food but it is better than the food at Mars 2112
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 08:08 AM

Mars 2121 was just AWFUL when we went there for my son's birthday (suggested by hotel concierge.) Service is better at 7-Eleven;s hot dog grill than at that place- it was worse than awful. And my martini tasted like soap, but when I complained they didn't do anything about it (and then the drink actually started foaming, it really was soap!) Food was inedible, place was crammed tight w/wall to wall loud screaming people, just obnoxious. YUK.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 08:12 AM

I have posted before on Madame Tousand's (sp? sorry) Wax Museum. VERY fun day for our family w/11 and 13 yr olds. But my husband and I had fun too. Beleive it or not, it was also a learning experience, as there are not only rooms w/themes that are just fun (like the celebrity party room) but also there is a sports legends area w/all the old timers (turn the coner and there is Babe Ruth, etc.) and also a World Leaders room, not just w/kings and presidents, but peace leaders like MLK, Ghandi, etc. Had a great half day there.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Well, just returned from NYC with two tired teens and we all had a great time. Spent the first half of the day at the USS Intrepid. The flight simulator ride I believe was the highlight of their day.
Next, we walked Times Square a bit and visited Madame Toussards Wax museum. Yes, overpriced IMO, but the kids really enjoyed themselves-lots of picture taking with their favorite celebrities. We ended the day with delicious Pizza at Johns on 44th.
Thanks to all for their suggestions!
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 05:15 AM
emd

Bsed on these posts I am going to try the USS Intrepid w/my kids next time.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 05:20 AM
emd

Well, that's really weird. For that last post, I replied that I was glad JLBRN enjoyed the wax museum and thanked him for letting Ryan and I know how it is spelled- but when it posted it left off those sentences and only included the one above.
Also, JLBRN, you get some sort of prize for the fastest posting of a trip report, if you went yesterday and posted at 9:40 p.m.!
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 06:23 AM

It is spelled TUSSAUD! I think the pronunciation is too SEW.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 06:46 AM
emd

Thanks, mclaurie. I don't sew, but I can usually spell (although typing is a different story...) but I guess since it is a proper name and it is French (oui?) we can all give ourselves a break.