Museum of Natural History, NYC - other ideas?

Aug 4th, 2003, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Museum of Natural History, NYC - other ideas?

Heading to NYC tomorrow, and last PM checked out the Nat. Hist. Museum website. Several of the exhibits my DH was wanting to see aren't there any more (Einstein, etc., AND, the chocolate one is weekends only!) Now he's not sure he'll be going, and need other ideas. He's a big nature/tech/space/food freak. One alternative is the Intrepid, which he'll do. Any other ideas? (His favorite TV channels are The History Channel, Discovery channel, and the Food network, if that helps at all. )

Thanks in advance....
Aug 4th, 2003, 07:46 AM

How about the Museum of Television and Radio? How much time are you talking about? I would think if he likes history, Ellis Island would be of interest. Perhaps South Street Seaport? There's a tenement museum that's supposed to be interesting [haven't been, but it's been recommended to me -- I am into historical things]
Aug 4th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that. Will check it out.

We only have 2 full days in NYC. He'll be doing "his thing" while daughter and I shop. We plan to do the Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty via circle line the second day. I found the firemans museum (his dad was a fire fighter) that might work. Also, seems like the Rose Center at the Museum of Nat history is interesting too. Maybe he shouldn't scratch that off his list?
Aug 4th, 2003, 07:57 AM

Personally, I enjoy the Museum of Nat'l History. In the past, even if I was disapointed that a favorite exhibit was gone, there was always something appealing...
Aug 4th, 2003, 08:00 AM

There used to be a gallery of 9/11 photos that people in the area took. It raises money for charity. I'll try to think of the website.

Can you go to a live taping of Emeril?
Aug 4th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

I just checked the AMNH more closely, and there are MANY things there he'll enjoy, so that is back on top of the "to see" list. The Intrepid too.

He might get a kick out of an Emeril taping. Can one get tix so last minute? Hmm. I'll do some checking. Thanks.
Aug 4th, 2003, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

There is a once a year (sometimes more) lottery for Emeril tickets. One must register for the lottery. Apparently he does tapings in NYC only a few weeks a year, several times a day, for the whole year.
Aug 4th, 2003, 11:10 AM

I've been to the Lower East Side Tenement Museum twice now and loved it. If he's a big history buff, he will too. The museum has restored an old tenement building and takes visitors on guided tours through 3-4 of the old apartments, telling stories about the families that used to live there, how they lived, what was going on in that period of time in NY, etc. Fascinating stuff.

It's a bit off the beaten track, which is nice, and it doesn't take all day. When you buy your tickets, they will put you in the next available tour -- I think they leave every 15 minutes or so.

You don't have to know NYC history to enjoy this museum - it's more about telling immigrant stories and the difficulties they faced.
Aug 4th, 2003, 11:20 AM
E

I'm gald you reinstated the Museum of Natural History, because I think he'll love it, given his interests. And the Rose Center is very impressive, so he should include that in his visit, as it's adjacent and you can buy a combo ticket. (You might want to take a peek at the Rose Center after dark yourself--it's a sphere encased in a clear glass cube, and looks otherwordly from the street-no ticket required!)
My only other idea, if he's into food, is to eat! He can walk around Little Italy and Chinatown and eat himself silly. Or you could try to get a reservation for dinner someplace nifty, like Nobu or Babbo.
Have a great trip!