Teens + Travel Money= Problems?

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teens + Travel Money= Problems?

I'd be interested in hearing from those with experience sending teens on extended school trips. What is the best way to send food and spending money-- some cash in multiple places, I suppose. What about travellers checks?
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 03:01 PM
GoTravel

A prepaid Visa with a state issued photo ID and around $50 in cash depending upon the length of the trip. For a weekend trip, cash would suffice.

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 03:20 PM

We got ours an AmEx card-goes on our bill- and travelers checks.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 03:45 PM

Not sure what you mean by extended. When my kids were exchange students we opened an account with an ATM card and I deposited money each month. When they ran out they were out. On a couple of "emergency" occasions I broke down and deposited a bit more.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 04:49 PM

When our son went to Italy for 10 days he had some cash (local), travelers checks, and another stash of travelers checks designated as "for emergencies". Since trip paid for hotel, breakfast, dinner, most admissions, he only had to budget for lunch, snacks, elective purchases. We also felt in a real emergency, tour company and or teachers would help him out (like call home for wired money). We told him to wear a money belt, but I suspect he didn't.

Our daughter is doing a similar trip this June and I think we will get her a credit card in addition to above.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 05:07 PM

Our daughter is on her way home from 8 days in Mexico with a school group. Similar to what Gail said, hotels, 2 meals and most admissions were paid for in advance. We were told to send them with traveller checks and a phone card. I also gave her a little cash for anything she may need before cashing the travellers checks. The phone card is rechargable if need be. I think if it were a more extended trip, I would look into one of those MasterCard debit type cash cards where money can be added as she goes. I think it is important for the student to keep track of their spending and budget based on a reasonable daily allowance. From our experience, we were given very specific instructions about how much money and in what form.