Money: What type?

Apr 21st, 2004, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Money: What type?

OK Foderites, I will pick up my Fodor's Does Rome book, but for now, what is the proper way to bring money into Italy/Rome? I know the US $$ is taking a beating and I don't want to insult anyone there with tips in US currancy. As for the bulk of our dollars, what is the safest way to carry money there? I have been warned about the EXPERT pickpockets, and so would be leary of carrying too much cash. Should I change all to Euro's, use our VISA and keep track of transfer rates, or bring traveller's checks? Any tips would be appreciated. Grazi!!

BC
Apr 21st, 2004, 09:51 AM

Hi BC... when I go to Italy I use my ATM and credit cards. I don't carry large amounts of cash with me. I use my ATM card to get Euro's for spend money during the day, and charge hotels & restaurants on my credit cards.

Before I leave the US I call my bank and credit card companies to tell them I will be traveling abroad and will be using my cards. They make a note in my record and I have never had a problem. There are ATM machines everywhere.

I'm heading back to Italy with my wife and kids in mid June. Can't wait. Have a great time!!!
Apr 21st, 2004, 09:55 AM

on our recent italy i went with maybe 50 euro left from another trip...i got all of my cash from atm machines from accounts that i have at two different credit unions in the usa....the credit union does not charge for withdrawals overseas...these are atm withdrawals from checking accounts...all atm's had an english screen...the only problem i had was when i wanted to withdraw 500E from one machine and it only let me take about 1/2 of that...so i just did mutliple withdrawals in one sitting...check on the daily amount that your bank will let you take...do not rely on just having one card with you either...security and cards do have problems sometimes...atms are everywhere in italy...i did not come across an atm that charged a fee locally unlike many in the usa...
trav. cks...i did have one 50E visa trav. check with me and to cash it banks wanted anywhere from 3E to 8 E, so i brought it home with me...

i found withdrawing 200-300E at a time worked very well and then i made another w/d when i was low on money...

AMERICAN MONEY IS NOT ACCEPTED...

i used credit cards everywhere and used debit cards in grocery stores and some shops as well...
Apr 21st, 2004, 09:57 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34492450
Here is a recent thread on this topic (re Ireland, but it's the same throughout Europe.) Type "ATM and Italy" into the text box at the top of this page to pull up hundreds of additional threads specific to Italy if you like.

Use ATMs to get local currency. Charge whatever you're able to. Take a couple of hundred dollars US (which you will have to have changed) or the equivilant in TCs for emergency purposes. And about 50E if you feel the need to have local currency prior to arrival (which you can obtain at your departure airport.)

You are correct that tips in US dollars are not appropriate.
Apr 21st, 2004, 09:57 AM

on our recent italy trip i went with maybe 50 euro cash left from another trip...i got all of my cash from atm machines from accounts that i have at two different credit unions in the usa....the credit union does not charge for withdrawals overseas...these are atm withdrawals from checking accounts...all atm's had an english screen...the only problem i had was when i wanted to withdraw 500E from one machine and it only let me take about 1/2 of that...so i just did mutliple withdrawals in one sitting...check on the daily amount that your bank will let you take...do not rely on just having one card with you either...security and cards do have problems sometimes...atms are everywhere in italy...i did not come across an atm that charged a fee locally unlike many in the usa...

trav. cks...i did have one 50E visa trav. check with me and to cash it banks wanted anywhere from 3E (money changer) to 8 E (bank), so i brought it home with me...

i found withdrawing 200-300E at a time worked very well and then i made another w/d when i was low on money...

AMERICAN MONEY IS NOT ACCEPTED...

i used credit cards everywhere and used debit cards in grocery stores and some shops as well...
Apr 21st, 2004, 10:05 AM
ira

Hi bc,

I agree, leave your dollars at home, bring an ATM card and a charge card. Charge as much as possible and have about 50 - 100E cash.

I generally get $50 - 100 worth of euros at the departure airport (even though the exchange rate is poor) so as not to have to find an ATM upon arrival.
Apr 21st, 2004, 10:06 AM

You will get the worst exchange rate turning your US dollars into euros so you can spend cash. Use your credit card wherever and whenever possible instead of cash. When the credit card company converts your euro purchases into US dollars you will receive the prevailing exchange rate.
Apr 21st, 2004, 11:02 AM

they don't accept US currency. Just like we dont' accept Euros. We brought 100 euros with us, then used our cred. card whenever possible. When we did hit an ATM we took out the max up to 300 euros and kept it in a money belt mostly. no need for travellers checques.