Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

cash, credit card, atm withdrawals -- how to pay in italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2003, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we will be in italy in june. i was wondering what everyone would recommend as the best way to handle money while in italy.

i'm assuming we should get some euros before going to italy, but then should we mainly rely on credit cards while we are there (is american express and mastercard good enough? are those 2 widely accepted?). what about traveller's checks? would you recommend us bringing them as well?

finally, if we need cash while there, where is the best place to do the exchange? or is it better to just use my american bank card and go to an atm... will that work?

thanks!
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 05:17 PM

Use the ATM for cash and your credit cards for purchases/hotels/restaurants. Travelers checks are a thing of the past. If you feel comfortable, bring them for "just in case" circumstances. When you cash them, you will get a crappy exchange rate plus have to pay a commission.

I travel everywhere in Europe with just a Mastercard and Visa checkcard and about $50.00 in cash. I return home with $50.00 in cash -- needed the $$$ for porters & tips.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 06:04 PM

I agree that travelers' checks are a thing of the past. Recently, I purchased travelers' checks and some Euros before our trip to Italy. Both were not needed. I had to pay a fee to buy the Euros here and didn't need to pre-purchase them as there are ATM machines at the airport. Also, I found the ATM machines to be much easier than traveler checks as they are very convenient. Have fun!
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 06:40 PM

I agree that there is absolutely no need to take Travellers Checks. I always take 2 ATM cards. My husband carries one, while I carry the other. It's highly unlikely that each of us would get pick-pocketed or, that the machine would eat both cards. I take two different Credit Cards for the same reasons. Also, 2 separate Cards for differing accounts provides a safety net in case one gets maxed out.
Be sure to know ahead of time if your accommodations will accept a Credit Card or if you'll need cash. ATM's are plentiful in the larger cities, but not so easy to find in the outskirts.
Have a wonderful trip!
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 06:41 PM
ed

We have some dog-eared traveler's checks left over from long ago trips. .

We use the ATM's exclusively but we did have an ATM "eat" the card in Italy .I fortunately had had the luck to get a spare.

This has happened only in Italy. :-B
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 08:15 PM

Make sure you have a four digit PIN number for your credit card in addition to the PIN for your ATM card. Again, for that plan B---if your ATM card is eaten or becomes demagnetized, you can still get cash (cash advance) using your credit card at a machine. Cash comes is useful for those little things as well as a tool in negotiating a fair price for treasures.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all VERY much for your helpful tips!! I really appreciate it.

Old Dec 16th, 2003, 03:04 AM

Just two weeks ago upon landing in Rome, I tried using 6 different ATM and credit cards at the ATM machine with a series of different messages to include, "card not accepted, card not usuable, etc" even though I have used these cards in Italy and other places in Europe before. All the cards were good and eventually worked at other ATM's along the way. I ended up going to the far end of the airport to get a cash advance on a card. I could have exchanged some of my emergency Travelers Checks or cash, but, as I was going into the countryside with fewer options for cash, I chose to do an expensive cash advance.
I would never travel without five hundred in TC. But, then, I am usually in a rental car far off the beaten path, if possible.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 03:24 AM

Just a note on Amex - Visa and Mastercard are the most universally accepted cards and acceptance of Amex can be patchy - mainly because Amex charges the shop/restaurant/hotel for each transaction, so many choose not to deal with it. If I were you, I'd get a Visa card to go with your Mastercard just to be sure.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 05:05 AM

We travel with both a Visa and a Master Card. On more than one occassion the Master Card has been refused by restuarants in Europe, telling us they would accept Visa, but not Master Card. When I said that MasterCard was like Europe Card, I got the response that yes, they knew and they didn't take Europecard either. One time in Stockholm, they wouldn't take Visa or MasterCard, but would only take American Express -- go figure!
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 05:12 AM

I also recommend using a variety of credit and ATM cards. I had both Visa & MC, as well as ATM cards from 2 different institutions. Different ATMs take different cards. You'll find which ones you can use as you go. It's not as difficult as it sounds. There are ATMs everywhere in Rome.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 05:25 AM
ira

To follow up MizzEve's post,

The back of your ATM card has the logo of the networks to which it belongs. Look for that symbol on ATM machines.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 06:59 AM

WE brought 100 euros with us, then hit the ATM and took out the max. Had a money belt. All fine. ATM's are everywhere and get you the best exchange rate. Some smaller stores and restaurants are cash only.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 01:27 PM

On our first trip, I just got some local currency from an ATM after we landed. Now I just keep what was in my pocket when we came back and take it with us on our next trip. My son bought some foreign currency locally, and the cost was quite a bit, so I would recommend not buying foreign currency locally.

We carried our Mastercards, Visa cards, and ATM cards, which our bank said had to be connected to our checking account to work properly in Europe. Other than small places that demand cash, the Visa card was accepted everywhere, and you get the benefit of an institutional exchange rate using it, although I have read that some banks charge an extra cut on the conversion; check with your bank and, if necessary, find one that has a minimal fee.

What bothered me a bit was tipping. In Italy, for example, tipping in the American style is not expected, but if the service is good, leaving "table change" is said to be appropriate; I thought this did not work particularly well when I used the Visa card to pay, but I usually just left a few coins on the table and no one seemed insulted.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 01:41 PM
cmt

In cities and in most very touristy areas, and generally even in medium sized twns in the north and center, there are plenty of ATM bancomat machines and many businesses that accept payment by credit card. However, you should be aware that this is not true all over. I very rarely saw an ATM in Basilicata, and even in Sicily, while in Palermo there were many ATMs, in medium sized towns they were very hard or impossible to find, and in small towns were nonexistent. In these places it was also uncommon much less common for businesses to accept credit card paymnets. I was really surprised when an agriturismo where I stayed in Sicily was not set up to accept payment by credit card. Fortunately I had enough cash. (But if I hadn't, he would've accepted a personal check from my bank in the US!)

Like the others, I take a starter supply of cash with me, and I no longer use travelers checks. I would take much more cash if going to an area where ATMs will be hard to find, but only a one-day supply if going first to a major city or a place where I know there will be a bancomat on every corner.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 01:46 PM

About credit card acceptance - make sure that you have cards that are acceptable to cover your major expenses. We rented a car in Germany (reserved from the US) and when we arrived they would take only American Express for the rental even though it had been reserved with Visa (apparently rules had changed since we had reserved - smething I didn't understand concerning free insurance coverage). So its worthwhile confirming this before you leave to make sure you take the correct cards - or have different members of your party carry different cards.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 02:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I take some cash and use mostly Visa.

Never a problem.

In Paris several years ago we were impressed to have the waiter come over to the table with a portable credit card reader. I guess radio controlled or something like that.

The only strange this is that they don't appear concerned that we will run without paying, but once they've brought the slip to sign, they stay directly beside you.

Quite uncomfortable. It's like they're afraid we'll leave with the pen.

Old Dec 16th, 2003, 07:13 PM

Well, you can definately leave home without it...AMEX that is. I was so surprised at how few places wanted to or even accepted AMEX in Italy.
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 05:38 AM

Myer, yes those handheld charge machines are very common throughout Europe. I've been surprised we don't have them in the US. It's nice because your card never leaves your table. Most locals seem to be using a debit type card and they punch in their pin number right at the table. I've always been impressed with how casual the waiters are about turning their backs or at least their heads while someone punches in their pin number -- watch for this. The one thing I was told was that as soon as your card is swiped the phone connection is opened, and until you've signed the slip they don't close that connection. That's why they stand and wait to complete the transaction.
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 08:31 AM

also make sure that there are no letters in your PIN #, italian machines won't except it if it has letters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -