Teens Fun Excursions - Skaway, Juneau, Ketchikan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling to Alaska in June with 2 teens 14 and 15. The oldest being a girl. We will be taking a cruise visiting Skaway, Juneau and Ketchikan. Want to do some fun things with them but don't want to pay as much as the cruise ship wants us to. Would love to dog sled, love to see the bears. We want to make this a memorable trip. They are growing sooo quickly!
Any input would be appreciated.
K
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 03:05 AM

You are going too early for bears. Only tour will run $400+pp for Admirality Island. Dog sledding is a costly option too, look at TEMSCO out of Skagway. At their ages- they can pick their own, have them look over a shore excursion list and narrow down interests. Determine a budget and go from there. Each port has hiking and walking tours as well. Request each city's visitor guide. www.traveljuneau.com www.skagway.com www.visit-ketchikan.com
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Budget Queen...thanks for your reply. I was hoping not to have to use the ships excursions list...thought maybe someone out there knows of some other real great fun excursions for a great price. Maybe I am just kidding myself..

Darn I am sorry to hear about the bears. Will have to travel there another time to see them.

How about Whale watching?
What do you know about about Granville Island? We will arrive there 2 days before our Cruise leaves.
How about anything to do with snow. We live in the Florida Keys...kids haven't really seen snow...especially my daughter.

Thanks
K

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:00 AM

My mom took my 12 yo daughter on a dog sled tour in Skagway, and they also had puppies there. It was the highlight of her trip.

I am pretty sure that this is the company, Alaska Excursions. http://www.alaskaexcursions.com/sdadescription.htm
Everything was booked directly with them, not through the ship. They were picked up at the dock. It was still a little pricey (about $100 each) but she had a great time. The other excursions that they did were not as well received (a lumberjack show and something that involved a historic tour).
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 04:50 AM

The tours will be similar- if you book via ship or independent. Free/low cost stuff of course is in every port, walking tours, museums, hiking etc. A shore excursion list is still the best way to see what is offered in each port. For further information , request each city's visitor guide. www.traveljuneau.com www.skagway.com
www.visit-ketchikan.com

As for whales- 100% sightings for humpbacks via Juneau tours, with my top recommendation- Orca Enterprises.
I NEVER recommend any booking agents or "middle men". They do not run the tours and it is far more beneficial and simple to just book direct with the vender in Alaska. The only option for "snow" will be a glacier helicopter landing. There will be none otherwise.

For clarification- the Skagway cart ride excursion is completely ship contracted now. Superior is Seavey's out of Seward in my opinion. I did this with my kids several years ago when it was $30- was OK. For bears- the best bargain around is Denali Park- either go there directly or add at least a week on to a one way cruise. Granville Island is OK too, but Stanley Park in Vancouver is a highpoint and so is Grouse Mt.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 10:03 AM

June is not too early for bears in Juneau. You just have to know where to look.

If the kids don't mind some hiking, there are some good areas to spot bears around town. No guarantees.... regardless of the time of year, you still have to invest the time since animals don't move on your schedule. But, there are definitely places that tend to produce sightings more frequently than you might imagine.

Usually you just have to think of it as a wildlife tour ... you're destined to see something.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 10:30 AM

We did a whale watching trip in Juneau which was fantastic. It was arranged through the cruise ship but I'm sure you could probably arrange it on your own. I'm sorry I don't remember the outfitters name, but we took a bus from the ship to where the whale watching boat departed. The boat was warm inside with large viewing windows and a guide who provided narration. They also provided binoculars which was a nice touch. We saw quite a few whales and lots of other wildlife as well.

One thing, it was too foggy (and this was summertime) for the helicopter trips so people who had booked those had to scramble to find something else at the last minute that wasn't fully booked.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 04:30 PM

K ...

I might have also suggested an afternoon fishing trip. There are plenty of king salmon passing through the region in early June. It is a good activity for all ages! Plus, just being out on the water may find you among the whales .... or, spotting bears along the beach. It is probably the single best activity (imho) for creating multiple possibilities.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 04:52 PM

The cruise ships own a lot of the tour areas. We tried to do visit a native village on our own in Ketchikan and regretted it. We saved a few bucks, but only the cruise tours got to see the native dancing show and listen to the craftsman talk about making the totem pole.
We went kayaking in Sitka. We did that on our own and it was great, even in the rain. The kids loved it. I imagine that will be an option in one of the ports you go to.

Granville Island is really wonderful. They have a great market full of fresh produce and homemade foods. Also they have a comedy theater that will probably be having shows the kids will really enjoy. We got coupons for reduced rates in Vancouver's free weekly entertainment guide. Also, you can rent bikes and ride all over the place from Granville Island. There are water taxis you can take bikes on to get to the main part of Vancouver. You can easily ride to Stanley Park, which has great places to swim, an aquarium and so much more. In the other direction, is a science museum. You can ask when you are there about the good bike rides. A great upscale neighborhood called York Town (if I recall) is within a block of the water just across the way, and is also really worth a visit. Vancouver is the greatest city! You will wish you had more time!
As for snow....hmmm. You can go on the glacier helicopter trip in Juneau and walk out on a glacier. What better way to see snow! Again, we went on a non-cruise tour doing that. We went to a different glacier than the Mendenhaul and noone else was on it. You might search the cruise website for alternatives. I did it on the internet. It's all expensive, no matter how you cut it.