Excursions on Princess

Mar 16th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Excursions on Princess

We are going on the new ship Sapphire this July. The ports of call are Ketchikan, Alaska; Juneau, Alaska; Skagway, Alaska; Victoria, Canada. Has anyone done excursions in these cities? Any thing we should not miss? Thanks for any help!
Mar 16th, 2004, 09:09 PM

Dog Sledding in Juneau was the highlight of our entire cruise.
Mar 16th, 2004, 09:11 PM

I forgot to add that we did not book this through the cruiseline, got much better pricing on our excursion choices booking independently. Excursions are a huge source of revenue for all the cruiselines....you can do much better $$ on your own. Very very rarely have I booked direct with a cruiseline.
Mar 16th, 2004, 10:22 PM

You need to look over a shore excurion list and narrow down your interests. There are just too many great choices. Budget fully- you get only half a trip without them. As a guide the most POPULAR- Juneau- whale watching, glacier helicopter landing (glacier dog sledding is the most canceled of all Alaska tours), Ketchikan- fishing, Misty fjord floatplane, Saxman village tours (pick up one at the dock visitor center), Skagway- White Pass RR, rental car with Avis and drive- Klondike Highway- I recommend to Emerald Lake 75 miles and return. Victoria- Butchart Gardens, orca whale watching. There are many many many more- options- I have taken a boatload of Alaska tours and there are few that I wouldn't repeat. Flights are just excellent in Alaska and give some depth to the extensive scenery. Choose carefully- it will be tough.
Mar 17th, 2004, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information! I've never booked independent excursions before - should I just do a search on the web? On average, how much cheaper are they? Thanks!
Mar 17th, 2004, 05:59 AM

You need to determine WHAT tours you are interested in FIRST. Look over your shore excursion list. Then you can go to each city's visitor site and the independents are listed there for direct contact. Sometimes significant savings- but always better tours. More personal attention and direct contact with locals. I also like getting away from fellow cruise passengers sometimes. Request each visitor guide
www.visit-ketchikan.com
www.skagway.org
www.traveljuneau.com
Mar 17th, 2004, 06:16 AM

I followed budgetqueen's advice for Alaska excursions and it was tops. The only excursion we booked through Princess was the Skagway train. We paid less and avoided the crowds.

The Ports of Call Board on www.cruisecritic.com has good information about suppliers in each of these ports.
Mar 17th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much!!!

Search this Thread