Alaska shore excursions

Search

Alaska shore excursions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska shore excursions

Will be cruising Alaska in May on Celebrity’s Infinity. Ports of call: Victoria B.C., Skagway, Juneau, Icy Strait Point, Sitka, Prince Rupert. I checked shore excursions for these ports offered by Celebrity. There is a lot to select from ranging in price from $$ - $$$$. I am looking for advice from those who went on Celebrity’s, or other cruise companies’ tours, on what would be “a must to see and a must to experience” in that part of the world without wasting time and money.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 09:32 AM

Take a helicopter trip in Juneau or Skagway to the top of a glacier. At Skagway you can also take a dog sled ride at the top. These are expensive, but well worth it and give you an idea of the vastness of Al;aska. The railway trip out of Skagway is also picturesque. Otherwise, I think you would do just as well exploring on your own at these ports. Victgoria and Sitka are both easy to see without taking an excursion. You may want to take in Butchart Gardens in Victoria.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 05:43 AM

I never take ship excursions and always book direct with venders, very simple to do. But look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. Plenty to do, way more than you can in one trip.

Flights are a top choice, but plenty else available. Wildlife requires tours, brochures are greatly enhanced.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:11 AM

took an alaskan cruise and one of the ports was skagway. day we were there it was very cloudy so air tous were out and had already done the white pass and yukon railway so just rented a car from avis. there office is about 5 minutes from pier and drove around town. also drove out to the remains of a mining town called dyea. very interesting and gives insight into the goldrush days.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 07:40 AM

However, with all the cruise ships now sailing Alaska it is not likely you will be able to get a car rental in Skagway without reservations.

For clairfication, the best option for car rental usage is to get to Emerald Lake, 75 miles north of Skagway via the Klondike Highway, be certain to print out Murray's guide www.explorenorth.com excellent must have commentary, mile by mile.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

thanks a lot, everyone!
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 10:45 PM

I know it's cheesy and commercial, but in Skagway we just love going out to Liarsville, a faux mining community. It's not an expensive tour, and I've loved it every time I've done it.

We also like the whale watching out of Juneau. We saw lots of wildlife both times we did it.

In May, you are VERY likely to be clouded out of the helicopter tours.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 04:43 PM

If you've not been that way before, the White Pass and Yukon Rail excursion will yield some spectacular views. Like the Eiffel Tower, it is a UNESCO heritage site. Take a noon train if possible so the morning fog has burned off, take a seat in a car in the middle or rear of the train (everyone gets on the first cars) sit on the left side as you face the engine. At the summit you'll be asked to swap seats with passengers across the aisle so they get a look too. Plan your seat selection accordingly. There's no moving between cars. I spent most of the time on the car platform with my camera.
When we were in Skagway last spring, there was only one cruise ship in port and a lot of the establishments didn't even open up.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 04:59 PM

The White Pass Rail and Yukon trip is a must do! Also a helicopter out on to the glaciers in Juneau.