Search

Taxi Scams

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taxi Scams

I'm posting this since we were more than likely ripped off in London a few years ago. We were staying at a motel and read that you should always get the motel to call a taxi. When we were ready to get our rental car, we had them call a taxi. It wasn't the regular taxis that we were used to seeing but assumed that the motel had called one. As it turns out, we're sure that they called one of their friends. He got "lost" and when my husband paid him, I'm pretty sure that we were overcharged. We should have been "bad" tourists and asked the desk to call a real taxi or even refused to pay the fare he asked. This motel will continue to pull this scam on people. Kathie
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:03 AM

In what city did this happen?
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Suerich68

This happened in London a few years ago?

Have you been in a coma since then? Why post now?

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:09 AM

I think I need another cup of coffee...

You haven't posted in two years and then you come to let us know that three years ago you paid too much money to a taxi driver in a foreign country. You claim it was the motel's fault and you don't even name the motel.

What is the purpose??? Sorry I'm so jaded this morning.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:19 AM

Yesterday's Fodors email highlighted top travel scams, one of which was taxi scams. My guess is the OP is responding to that.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:41 AM

If you get ripped off, tell the resort.

I got ripped off by a taxi driver when in Palm Springs a few years ago. I was then informed to let the resort we stayed at know about this. I did not get my money back but the resort was glad to know that the driver did it. I don't know what, if any, action they took. However, we have stayed at other resorts and they have told us how much a taxi ride is to a location and to not let the driver charge us more. They also helped me learn to always know what the fair should be then ask the fair before getting into the cab. (I know knowing the fair ahead is not always possible but your motel/resort should know).
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Xrae, what do you mean by "fodor's e-mail", is there a special subscription? I didn't get one.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:12 AM

I get a weekly newsletter email from Fodors (I think it's weekly). Honestly, I rarely read it. But something piqued my interest yesterday so I opened it up. I'm sure there's a place to subscribe on the Fodors home page.