Reload this Page >

Taxi Or Shuttle From Newark to Midtown

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Diana

Two of us will be traveling from Newark Airport to a midtown Manhatten hotel and I wondered if a taxi would be a better option than the shuttle bus. The shuttle is 36.00 per preson round trip. What is the usual taxi fare from Newark into Midtown? Is it a flat rate or does it depend on the time it takes to get into the city? Thanks for your help.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:54 AM
xxx

Another new option is to take the tram to the subway and take that into the city. Much cheaper.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 10:00 AM
suzanne

The Air Train is roughly $11.50 per person one way, or $23 round trip per person. It's pretty quick. You take the monorail from the terminal to the NJ Transit train station, and it's just 2 stops into Manhattan (Penn Station).

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 10:28 AM
d

I have paid $55 + tip in a taxi and approximately the same with Skyline Credit Ride.

It actually cost me more to get to Manhattan and back to Newark than it cost me to fly from South Carolina and back on an e-saver ticket.

If you fly into La Guardia, it is WAY cheaper. $18 +tip is my record low cost.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Sue

I just got back from NYC, flew into Newark. Taxi's from Newark to Midtown have to charge you a flat fee. Ours was $36 plus tolls and tip. Came to about $47. We were glad we did it. Went straight to the hotel, didn't have to worry about anything, didn't take very long either.

I would recommend it. Check out Newark Airports website to see what your flat fee would be. It depends where in Midtown you are going

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 03:37 PM
rqf

A taxi from Newark is a flat fee but the fare is determined by zone. To midtown the cost would be around $45. THis includes toll and tip..Olympia Airport bus is about $11 a person and takes you to 8th Ave. and 42nd St. A taxi to from there to midtown hotels will be less than $10.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 08:04 PM
squiggy

Just when you think you can saved so much on airfare to NYC, you get hit with actually "getting" into NYC.

Sigh.
We are 1 adult and 3 children. We will have more than just "carry on" luggage. I don't want to pay per person if I can get cab/limo rates cheaper. I also need to know the cheapest way for Dad to get into the city. He will be a one-bag traveler.

I'm trying to gather info from the posts:

Is the "tram" the same thing as the "Air train"? What is Skyline Credit ride? (sounds expensive)

Info from the previous posts:
Newwark to Midtown cab: $50
(NYC, flew into Newark. Taxi's from Newark to Midtown have to charge you a flat fee. Ours was $36 plus tolls and tip. Came to about $47)

La Guardia to Manhatten cab: 18 +tip

Olympia Airport bus: $11 a person

Newark Shuttle to Manhatten: $36 per person round trip.

NJ to Manhattan: The Air Train $11.50 per person one way, or $23 round

If anyone can give offer more advice, please do!

Squiggy

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 03:41 AM
rqf

For all transpotation options, from JFK. LGA and EWR, to the city go to
www.panynj.gov

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Danna

Skyline is one of many "limo" services that serve as more-or-less private cabs. It's not really a limo, it's a town car. You call in advance from home, give them your flight arrival time and they are there in a somewhat nicer, possibly cleaner vehicle. It will be a flat rate which they quote you in advance.

It is slightly more expensive than a cab, but it does save some aggravation. If you want to cough up more (I forget how much), they will have the driver standing in the baggage area with a sign with your name (just like in the movies!)

After I posted my comment, I realized that I have only used the service when charging it to my company account (another benefit, no fumbling for cash). I'm not positive they will work for individuals, but you would think they would if you left a credit card number. Good luck - if you find the perfect solution, please post back.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 05:27 AM
xxx

Easiest/cheap way for one passenger is to take the "air train" from Newark into NYC--just did this myself.
Air train is actually the name for a connection:
The monorail from the terminals takes you to a brand new train station where you can pick up either AMTRAK (expensive) or NJ Transit ($11.55) into the city (buy tickets from the vending machines--there is a $5 surcharge if there are machines or ticket booths available and you still choose to pay onboard). The combination of monorail and those options is called "Airtrain" (and "Airtrain" is what the signs at the airport say).

As far as other car services , I have also used Tel Aviv (phone?)and Carmel (1-800-9CARMEL) (based in NYC) You call them when you arrive and they will send a car. Usually bigger than a cab. The rate currently is about $39 base, with tolls and tip more like $50 total, about the same as a cab. BTW when I've taken a regular cab from Newark, the fare (on more than one occasion) was more than the amounts quoted here. I believe evening/night rates are several dollars higher so you may want to verify that.
I don't recommend the supershuttle--it took forever (of course I was unlucky and was the first one on and the last one off...)

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 06:29 AM
SteveP

Good Morning,

Transport from all NYC airports to midtown is almost always quicker by bus / subway. Unless yo0u are travelling at a very off hour the traffic is brutal.

From LGA to Manhattan....Take a bus to 74th street & Roosevelt Ave. (15 minutes) to the subway to Manhattan (20 minutes).

From JFK to Manhattan.....Take the free bus to the Howard Beach subway station (20 minutes). Take the 'A' line subway to Manhattan (45 minutes).

From EWR to Manhattan....There is a new airtrain that will get you to Manhattan in 30 minutes.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Sylvia

We have 4 persons visiting NYC. We will arrive at Newark airport. After I read the board, I believe that taking a taxi is the most economic and convenient for us to MTE. How's about lugguages, will taxi charge lugguage by pieces, and is it enough room for 4 luggages in a trunk?

Thank you.